AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Clearly more kneejerk reaction to what Swole said.

I mean, it isn’t obviously as they’ll have had it in the pipeline for months, but you try telling that to the people on Twitter

Already seen that exact reaction, made worse because Cody was the one to post about the album.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Codys return is being advertised for Dynamite this week, so why was an interim TNT champion crowned? 

Popular opinion is so they could have a new champion crowned at Battle For The Belts. The original plan was presumably that Sammy would win the title back in the rematch, but Cody's covid put paid to that. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Popular opinion is so they could have a new champion crowned at Battle For The Belts. The original plan was presumably that Sammy would win the title back in the rematch, but Cody's covid put paid to that. 

Thought it was because he tested positive and they had to do a last minute reshuffle? Could be wrong but thought it was one of many last minute things they had to switch due to different circumstances. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Yeah, they changed the match because of that, but it just seems daft to have an interim champion for two to three weeks. It feels like they did Sammy Vs Dustin at Battle For The Belts rather than sticking, say, Jurassic Express or Jade Cargill on there just so they could stick the TNT title on Sammy in the absence of the possibility for a rematch, whereas what they could possibly have done, if Fenix hadn't gotten himself injured, was have a different, somewhat controversial finish to the Jurassic Express/Lucha Brothers match on Dynamite and put a  return match on there with the title change instead? If this had happened in WWE they'd have just hotshotted something to set up a different match. Heck it did happen with Reigns at Day One. 

• Paid Members

I had no problem with the Interim Title. They had a show built specifically around people fighting for belts, and then their biggest match fell through when the Champion couldn’t perform. It was the most logical thing to do. Plus, its exactly the type of thing real sports like UFC do all the time when title matches fall through. And then even in execution it worked great. Made Sammy feel a much bigger deal than just wrestling a normal, throwaway one-on-one. In fact, when all was said and done that night he felt arguably bigger than he ever did with the actual belt. And now they’ve got the locked in storyline beat of unifying the belts. Perfect.

Of the things AEW do in 2022 that deserve criticism, doing an Interim Title match on that night is practically bottom of the list.

But yeah. Moxley is back! Yes! I got goosebumps seeing that graphic.

My biggest fear though? Kingston is supposedly out with an injury so I’m terrified they’re gonna slot Mox with Jericho.

Edited by Supremo

I’d take Daniel Bryan interrupting Mox and making thinly veiled digs about his personal life leading to a long and tremendous feud between the pair.

Mox, whether he wants to be a face or not, is going to be the most popular man on the roster for ages no matter what they do. They might as well let him face probably their best heel (coincidentally, Bryan is also their best face. Just FYI.)

I’d be fascinated to see what those two could come up without WWE constraints. Plus, it doesn’t actually feel like a match I’ve seen too many times.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I had no problem with the Interim Title. They had a show built specifically around people fighting for belts, and then their biggest match fell through when the Champion couldn’t perform. It was the most logical thing to do. Plus, its exactly the type of thing real sports like UFC do all the time when title matches fall through. And then even in execution it worked great. Made Sammy feel a much bigger deal than just wrestling a normal, throwaway one-on-one. In fact, when all was said and done that night he felt arguably bigger than he ever did with the actual belt. And now they’ve got the locked in storyline beat of unifying the belts. Perfect.

Of the things AEW do in 2022 that deserve criticism, doing an Interim Title match on that night is practically bottom of the list.

If Cody had a serious injury and was going to be gone for a year then yeah have an interim title, or strip him of it and stick it on Sammy so they can do the "I never lost this title" thing when Cody comes back, but an interim champion for 2 to 4 weeks just so they could have a title change on their first special seems like a bit of a reach. UFC title defences are a little further apart than TNT title defences tend to be so I'd understand them needing an interim champion if something happens to one of their champions.

Moxley's return should be good. I hope they've got te right version of Wild Thing ready for him. Mox & Kingston Vs Jericho and Hagar?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

The Interim title is fine as it gives them a reason to have the match they originally planned at another time and depending on what the outcome is they can pick things back up with whatever they were going to do from there, I just don’t see the point in Cody having a 2 week reign just for the sake of having a title change on the Belts show.

Jade winning the TBS belt makes sense for Dynamite as it was the first one on TBS, but if they were hellbent of having a title change, couldn’t they have just had the Lucia Bros/Jurassic Express match on BotB rather than Dynamite? 
Cody winning the TNT belt just to drop it straight back again doesn’t do anything for either him or Sammy.

Looking forward to Mox being back, but I’m also hopeful that he’s in a good place mentally and hasn’t come back too soon

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I'm not a huge fan of the interim title thing given it was such a short space of time, but it sets a precedent for what happens if a champion doesn't make a scheduled defence, which might play out more in the future. It's also an example of the "sports-based presentation" that people used to rag on them for promising and not delivering.

I assume that, if they are going with a Cody heel turn - and I'm still not convinced that they are, the catalyst was going to be him losing the belt straight back to Sammy, so maybe we'll just get a more circuitous route to that point. Or maybe they just promised TBS that there would be a title change on the show?