AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

In amongst the Punk-Hangman-Colt drama that's been happening. There's been a possible update on the 'All Elite Women' trademark. It is likely the basis for a wrestling show and not a reality TV concept. Something that has been pushed for within the women's division.

That and ROH still there has some people speculating on this weekend's Dark tapings in Orlando. They've departed from the usual trend of including talent on the poster promoting the event. Pretty they've done that before. So it's likely nothing. The flip side of that is they probably don't need 6 hours worth of Dark tapings with All Out week just around the corner.

8 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

900k is pretty much AEW's ceiling.

They'll break a million once in a while but that's it. 

It's the times we live in. The mainstream audience just isn't there anymore imo. 

Define ‘mainstream audience’. What does that term even mean? It’s almost exclusively used with wrestling, but really, it’s fairly nebulous. 

Clearly it’s a challenge to grow an audience if you’re targeting younger viewers for the simple reason that young adults don’t watch much television. Ultimately, at some point sooner rather than later, AEW and WWE will have to find a way to adapt to this changing landscape. I wonder how many young fans consume their wrestling exclusively through social media clips and YouTube. Obviously this isn’t financially viable in the long term, but I’d bet that it’s not an insignificant number.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Happy for my weakness to think it's an old photo used for a joke. Rather than one snapped in an instant of Punk's promo. 1:05am is 20:05 EST time

Especially since all the reports are meant to be the promo wasn't planned and people are pissed backstage. Doesn't seem like an opportune time to be candidly taking pics of your mate eating for those precious social media likes.

I'm sorry. I'm tired and stressed today and was more aggressive there than I should have been. I was up for a fight, rather than trying to have a discussion, which is not how I want to conduct myself. Sorry.

I'll make my point again, because I've not made it well, and then I'll back out because I'm sure it's tedious: 

When the picture was actually taken is irrelevant, it's presented as if that's what Hanger was doing. It was obviously a joke by Silver, but it's entirely believable that was a live picture. So now when Hanger goes "I wasn't even there" (if he does), we have evidence to the contrary and somebody has to reference that it was an old shot, which is just a bit awkward for the sake of a dumb joke.  

It's wrestling everything is canon, and nothing is.

24 minutes ago, Duke said:

I'm sorry. I'm tired and stressed today and was more aggressive there than I should have been. I was up for a fight, rather than trying to have a discussion, which is not how I want to conduct myself. Sorry.

I'll make my point again, because I've not made it well, and then I'll back out because I'm sure it's tedious: 

When the picture was actually taken is irrelevant, it's presented as if that's what Hanger was doing. It was obviously a joke by Silver, but it's entirely believable that was a live picture. So now when Hanger goes "I wasn't even there" (if he does), we have evidence to the contrary and somebody has to reference that it was an old shot, which is just a bit awkward for the sake of a dumb joke.  

It's wrestling everything is canon, and nothing is.

No worries! I hope your day has gotten better and you can enjoy the weekend ahead.

Things can go in weird directions on forums. I don't take any of it too seriously.

Turns out Hangman was on the AEW Games Twitch stream wearing the same shirt that day. So decent chance the photo was taken that day. Even though it's the implication of the photo. I'm still of the opinion it wasn't taken at around the time of the promo considering the coincidence would be so great.

On the canon note. Nothing in wrestling is canon until it makes TV. The Rockers Tag Title win being one of the most famous examples. We're all waiting to see how this goes. Which is no bad thing in wrestling.

Edited by Infinity Land

14 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

To be fair most wrestlers could probably beat up Punk fairly easy. He's not exactly the most imposing physical specimen. 

He is however someone who dedicated a number of years full time to MMA training which considering as far as my knowledge extends, Page has no "shoot" fighting background would make his eventual pasting so hilarious.

55 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

He is however someone who dedicated a number of years full time to MMA training which considering as far as my knowledge extends, Page has no "shoot" fighting background would make his eventual pasting so hilarious.

Didn't MMA wizard Teddy Hart knock Punk out or have I made up an odd story?

Punk "unnecessarily" buries Page on Dynamite.

We then get a fucking mad announcement that the title unification is happening on free tv and not the PPV.

Page's response to Punk comment is to cost him the title but he inadvertently costs Mox the match by hitting him with the Buckshot after Punk ducks it.

This leads to the Chicago shows where Mox calls out Hangman and they have a belting feud eventually leading to a Blood & Guts match between the Elite and BCC some months down the line. 

Punk on the other hand is bragging to his hometown how he doesn't have an opponent for All Out. Until Tony Sniff comes out and says that Punk will defend his title at All Out against an unnamed opponent.

Main event of All Out and Punk is in the ring when Khan appears and says the only way this man would sign a new contract is if he was promised a title match against Punk...MJF's music hits and he wins the title (thanks to TK's help) to the biggest set of boos heard for some time.

Then the following night on Dynamite, MJF is bragging how he's the best in the world blah blah blah only for Wardlow to come down and say that now there's one real champion again, he's ready to challenge for the belt after refusing to enter the interim tournament because he didn't want that title. 

And then we get MJF v Wardlow II. While Punk can carry on his Bret Hart tribute with The Chicago Screwjob.

4 hours ago, JimmyAnderson said:

Page's response to Punk comment is to cost him the title but he inadvertently costs Mox the match by hitting him with the Buckshot after Punk ducks it.

This leads to the Chicago shows where Mox calls out Hangman and they have a belting feud eventually leading to a Blood & Guts match between the Elite and BCC some months down the line. 

Punk on the other hand is bragging to his hometown how he doesn't have an opponent for All Out. Until Tony Sniff comes out and says that Punk will defend his title at All Out against an unnamed opponent.

Main event of All Out and Punk is in the ring when Khan appears and says the only way this man would sign a new contract is if he was promised a title match against Punk...MJF's music hits and he wins the title (thanks to TK's help) to the biggest set of boos heard for some time.

Then the following night on Dynamite, MJF is bragging how he's the best in the world blah blah blah only for Wardlow to come down and say that now there's one real champion again, he's ready to challenge for the belt after refusing to enter the interim tournament because he didn't want that title. 

And then we get MJF v Wardlow II. While Punk can carry on his Bret Hart tribute with The Chicago Screwjob.

Have you been at Tony Sniff’s stash?

• Paid Members

A weird Dynamite this week. Some super hot stuff, and some strange, deflating decisions. 

They managed to absolutely lower my interest in Punk Vs Mox from the week before. Last week was done superbly. This week was a total mess. A shite, shooty, meandering promo from Punk, straight out of 2000 WCW. Moxley's rebuttal and mannerisms were also shite. The brawl was poor. I liked that it spilled into a second segment later in the show, but the content of the brawl was, again, not particularly good. 

Then they announce the match for next week. Which automatically makes it feel less important in my eyes. Last week this felt like the biggest match AEW could do at this moment in time. We know they don't do non finishes so it's unlikely to set up Mox Vs Punk II at the PPV. It's likely to be a straight finish with a post match angle. Leading to what though? What, with one week's build, would feel bigger or more important than Moxley Vs Punk felt last week? 

All I can imagine is that they have become aware Punk is finishing up soon, and so are going to try to squash in all the big matches they can from him between now and Full Gear, before he loses to possibly a face MJF? There's next week, All Out, the New York stadium show, Toronto, and Full Gear. Moxley, Danielson, Hangman, Omega, MJF? 

The main event was fantastic fun, and it was great to have Omega back, playing a masterclass. Despite wearing the shoulder brace and the compression top, he looked noticeably more muscular in the upper and lower body than when he left with all those injuries. The Trios placement will allow him to get his groove back for a while as well. They may have been foreshadowing the turn on Dragon Lee with his behaviour at the start and end of the match, but his team turning on him right away when the company need to keep viable Trio's together, is a bit odd. 

FTR fucking about with Jay Lethal and co when they should be beating Swerve and Lee for the belts at All Out is a real shame. Really, the Trios titles should have waited until FTR and The Young Bucks had a third match at All Out, and then the Young Bucks headed in the Trios direction. I'm not sure FTR will still have all three of those belts by the time it comes for them to go for the AEW titles. 

Jungle Boy pasting the fuck out of Christian this week suggests to me Christian wins at the PPV, possibly with the help of Luchasaurus. 

Rampage looks weak as piss for this week from the rundown. The last thing this company needs is to add an additional TV show when they have thrown away any value that their secondary TV show has. 

Danielson Vs Garcia was great, from what I was able to take in of it. I watched the show in two halves and I was drifting off to sleep during this one and had to keep rewinding it. It's a bad idea trying to watch it at midnight on a Thursday. I imagine the PPV match is Danielson Vs Jericho, with Garcia picking a side during the match. 

Edited by WeeAl

23 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

It's one thing to call him a dick but to bring up his MMA career is just mean.