Best Swerves

tiger_rick

Fuck me I hated that Survivor Series 98 with a passion, I watched it once on the video I recorded it on and I've never watched it since. Dunno if it was because I thought Shawn Michaels was returning only for Gillberg to stroll out to kill my enthusiasm but then from what I can remember it was all short shit Raw type matches.

My memory is blurred since I've only seen it once at the time but can just remember it seeming like an episode of RAW rather than a PPV

UT v Kane V Mankind in a triple threat match in the Summer of 98. Taker no shows, so Vince orders Kane to smash Mankind in. Mankind refuses to fight "his friend" Kane, so he gets his head caved in under the old red light that Kane used to have when he debuted.

Kane wins the match and therefore is the number one contender to Austin's belt and begins to celebrate in the ring. BUT WAIT, he's unmasking for some reason. Hang on, that's not Kane; it's The Undertaker in Kane's gear. Swerve Bro!

Edited by Max Power

Taker turning heel on JR in JR's hometown in 2001 was pretty good. Teenage me didn't see it coming anyway. Was the first promo Taker cut since his cowboy return that wasn't filled with all his 'Muh yard, I'm the big dog' generic shite. Vince's facial expressions are also priceless.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Not sure it's brilliant but I definitely fell for it hook, line and sinket

I think it is because it played enough on both the casual fans as a ploy to make Kurt look even more cunning and sneaky in the path of the beast that Brock was but also played on the fans reading the newz sites reporting how angle was too fucked to do mania to play off their expectations.

Everyone got something positive out of it, and it wasn't even the first time they'd done the Eric switcheroo.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Everyone got something positive out of it, and it wasn't even the first time they'd done the Eric switcheroo.

I'd forgotten that. Part of Kurt's feud with Taker wasn't it?

All this talk of Survivor Series reminds me, 1987-1996, 1998, 2001 and 2008-2020 are on the freebie version of the WWE Network at the moment. 

Finn Balor’s heel turn in NXT was a well executed shock imo. He’d turned back up there only a week or so before fronting up Adam Cole so when he came out, as Ciampa and Gargano were looking at a 4 on 2 situation against the UE, everyone was anticipating the prospect of DIY and Finn stepping up only for Finn to lay Johnny out with the overhead kick and leave Ciampa to go 4 on 1 then the show ends with a smiling Cole doing the UE sign to Finn while he does his gun pose

I can't find evidence of this on YouTube, but there was a Russo/Ferrara swerve in Dubiya Cee Dubiya which Scott Steiner executed amazingly. He came out in crutches and cut a heart felt promo in the ring, then suddenly turned heel on someone and started beating the shit out of them with his crutches.

The 17 year old me was an absolute mark for that swerve. Haven't seen it in 21 years but remember being blown away by it.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, IronSheik said:

I can't find evidence of this on YouTube, but there was a Russo/Ferrara swerve in Dubiya Cee Dubiya which Scott Steiner executed amazingly. He came out in crutches and cut a heart felt promo in the ring, then suddenly turned heel on someone and started beating the shit out of them with his crutches.

The 17 year old me was an absolute mark for that swerve. Haven't seen it in 21 years but remember being blown away by it.

That actually was amazing, because at the time the newz sites were all running “Scott’s completely fucked” stories and everyone thought he was actually coming on Nitro to retire for real. It’s barely remembered today but we all got worked good, bro.