• Paid Members

There's been a few articles about the quality of the subtitles and how they lost some of the subtlety in the translations, with Ali's storyline being even more poignant in the Original korean, which I don't think I could have handled

Spoiler

Apparently Ali doesn't call them sir, but rather the equivilant of 'boss' which plays up even more to the  anti immigrant / class divide in Korea, with them insisting he call them brother instead, showing they are equal, which makes him screaming that, even after he knows he's been betrayed heartbreaking. 

Aren't the CC subs actually subbing the English dub and not the original Korean?

But yeah I really enjoyed it overall, it's been weird seeing people proclaim that it's the only show ever to have such an anti-Capitalist slant but that says more about peoples watching habits than anything else.

• Paid Members

Me and my wife went through it over 3 days. Just a stunning show and I'm so glad they didn't stretch it out over 15-20 episodes. There are so many decent shows out there that could have been condensed into less episodes to make them brilliant shows.

It was amazing how we got attached and felt emotion towards to so many characters over such a short span. Some superb acting with a great plot and twists. Can't wait for season 2!

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

I saw a tiktok or something which talked about how the colour of the ddakji might've been what you ended up being in the game - player or guard. 

This does sound like a cool theory, especially if its a way for him to go back but obviously as a guard rather than a player.

Also I wonder if the numbers do have any relevance, like 001 always being the host so that the guards know never to shoot/kill that number. Maybe something similar with the doctor.

I enjoyed the show, especially the twist at the end, liked how the actual squid game finished before the last episode which gave time for them to do the whole ending rather than a quick 2 minute thing like you see at the end of most series.

Speaking of twists - Two things I thought would happen (could happen who knows?)

1. I was expecting a twist involving Seong Gi-hun's daughters step dad somehow being involved in the games, that's why he was rich and he was moving to America (maybe knew the Americans and was going to take the games abroad). 

2. Player 001 is Seong Gi-hun's dad which is why he wanted him to do well.

Maybe both is possible and there is hints in the show about the father/son thing. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

This does sound like a cool theory, especially if its a way for him to go back but obviously as a guard rather than a player.

Also I wonder if the numbers do have any relevance, like 001 always being the host so that the guards know never to shoot/kill that number. Maybe something similar with the doctor.

I've read a few bits where people have screen grabbed shots of when the cop is looking at the files and in the 2020 game the player bios start at 002, where as in previous years it appears to show them starting at 001. With Il-Nam not being shown it kinda makes it seem this is the first set of games where a host had taken part which kinda makes sense considering his health situation. 

So much cool stuff in the show. I didn't notice until I read that all the games are visibly drawn on the walls of the holding area, but were always mostly hidden due to the massive amount of bunk beds in the room. Amother nice wrinkle being that each main characters death in Squid games is foreshadowed in their actions when they return home after ending the game the first time round. 

Spending too much time on Reddit but god damn I adore this show. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

Finished this over a week as Mrs W thought it was too stressful to watch.

Games were fun, the way it was shot was stunning and the character development over 9 episodes was tremendous. That said, the last episode let me down and left things feeling a bit flat. If it could have been summed up in a single series it would have been better but it's all about money....

Just get on the plane for Christ sake. 

Oh, and crazy bitch psycho lady is my favourite. 

Finished watching and have to say that I didn't think they would be able to top the horror and brutality of the Red light/Green Light game, but I was a bag of nerves after watching the glass bridge episode!

Normally in a show like this there's always a character you end up hating for some reason but they did a great job in making us the viewer believe in each character emotionally of which had a huge impact when it came time for them to be eliminated. 

I'm not going to let the wooden delivery of the dialogue between the VIPs or how the guards could have built a trapdoor in the furnace without being detected spoil my enjoyment of watching the show again.

That trap door in the furnace thing is one of the more believable things to be concocted on murder game show island. They wanted to harvest organs so they conducted bogus maintenance on a furnace and built it in or some bollocks. They wear masks and murder shit hopscotchers for Christ’s sake.