I genuinely think I must be the only person in the UK to feel this was badly produced, convoluted and badly acted (both actual actors and especially the English voice actors).  I truly believe that if this overrated tripe had been made in English and shown on SyFy (which let's be honest would have meant it had similar production values) it would have been designated to the bargain basement of TV that it deserves.

• Paid Members

I watched it yesterday and had to finish it in the wee hours. It's felt like an age since I've done that for a telly show.

I thought the whole thing was beautifully paced and even though the reveals were so heavily telegraphed (001 being the games master or the cops brother being the guy in the black mask), I was still swept up in it. For example, I was pissing tears at 001 and his bloody marbles even though I'd sussed him out well before then - what a great bit of telly and an awful experience.

I'll need to watch it again because it's clear very dense in references and Easter eggs. Also, very clearly tips it's hat to Kubrick a number of times in the set designs. For example, the VIP episode had some nice nods to Eyes Wide Shut - the bridge being heavy with Christmas tree lighting which was all over that film.

The VIP themselves were OTT but the fat one that was after a gammy was suitably fat and grotesque.

Apparently it's been an overwhelming success and I can't wait to see what they do for the next one.

1 hour ago, Dazzer said:

I genuinely think I must be the only person in the UK to feel this was badly produced, convoluted and badly acted (both actual actors and especially the English voice actors).  I truly believe that if this overrated tripe had been made in English and shown on SyFy (which let's be honest would have meant it had similar production values) it would have been designated to the bargain basement of TV that it deserves.

You can’t knock the production values, they’re top notch. Right up there with HBO for a show that looks like a film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dazzer said:

I genuinely think I must be the only person in the UK to feel this was badly produced, convoluted and badly acted

It would certainly appear so! I was expecting it to be as you described, but the production is good and I thought the acting was very good. You don't elicit the kind of emotional reaction from viewers that some of the characters did with bad acting. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dazzer said:

Genuinely no idea how you can look at the production design of this show and compare to a SyFy show. It's an incredible looking piece of work.

• Paid Members

Such was the the quality of the production, I found myself wondering how much Netflix spent on it, as it look like a lot.

Of course, the rooms the contestants and guards were sleeping in were supposed to look very basic - even then things such as the giant bunk beds were a great visual. Partly to heighten the grandness of the game sets and, importantly, the decadence of the VIPs and high ups.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Such was the the quality of the production, I found myself wondering how much Netflix spent on it, as it look like a lot.

Of course, the rooms the contestants and guards were sleeping in were supposed to look very basic - even then things such as the giant bunk beds were a great visual. Partly to heighten the grandness of the game sets and, importantly, the decadence of the VIPs and high ups.

Budget for the whole series was about $22 million. That would buy you a tenth of No Time to Die.

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It would certainly appear so! I was expecting it to be as you described, but the production is good and I thought the acting was very good. You don't elicit the kind of emotional reaction from viewers that some of the characters did with bad acting. 

Maybe I'm dead inside but I felt nothing but irritation for any of the characters aside from Ali.  The rest I could take or leave and felt zero connection.  

I get they were trying to make the sets look like Takeshi's Castle and in that way they succeded but that won't make me think it was better than it was.  I do not see the production values that are apparently there at all.

I found the voice acting especially mostly turgid and the dialogue was forced and pretty bad.  You could maybe argue that something was missing due to the translation but I couldn't possibly have an opinion on that given my lack of Korean language skills. 

As I say I understand I'm very much in the minority here and if you enjoyed that's great.  I just think there is some bandwagon jumping here with it being very fashionable to say how great it is.  

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Dazzer said:

I found the voice acting especially mostly turgid and the dialogue was forced and pretty bad.  You could maybe argue that something was missing due to the translation but I couldn't possibly have an opinion on that given my lack of Korean language skills.

Why.... wouldn't you watch it with subtitles then?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dazzer said:

Because I didn't.  Does not doing so prevent me from having an opinion on how bad the voice acting was? 

Name a live action film or TV show ever where the dubbing wasn't shit.