• Paid Members

So I think it's really good fun, this. Just finished watching it with my 14yo last night but they've not come out of their bedroom or talked since 067 carked it.

I think the serious messages in it are pretty heavy-handed and nothing that hasn't been said before, but the set design on this thing is stunning and the seizure-inducing Night of the Stabbings episode is some of the best telly I've seen for ages. Balances a satisfactory ending with a fairly open-ended one as well.

It's absolutely stunning looking, the glass bridge game in particular. I tried to watch episode one and switched off before the halfway point because I was bored, tried again and stuck with it and loved it. I'm still not over Ali's death in the marble game. That whole episode was incredible to be fair.

Question, the guy's brother who was in the black mask- did he get the job because he'd won a previous game based on the files in that room? Not sure if it was ever mentioned or not.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

seizure-inducing Night of the Stabbings episode is some of the best telly I've seen for ages.

As an epileptic, this was the worst moment of the show for me that will get fast forwarded in my next full rewatch. 

I say full rewatch, because I’ve gone back and watched green light red light, the tug of war and the glass bridge games a few times already. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Question, the guy's brother who was in the black mask- did he get the job because he'd won a previous game based on the files in that room? Not sure if it was ever mentioned or not.

Yes. The Cop notices his name as the winner of a previous year's games (2015 I think) when exploring the files. 

Me and the Mrs binged it over 2 days last weekend and we were hooked. There is so much awesome foreshadowing and lots of little Easter eggs to be found. As mentioned it looks stunning and just pops off of the screen. Best thing I've watched in ages. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Yes. The Cop notices his name as the winner of a previous year's games (2015 I think) when exploring the files. 

That's right, yes. And I think there's a hint early on that there's a heavy police presence in the masked guys so that's clearly to be explored in series 2, along with the whole recruitment process.

• Paid Members

Just out of curiosity, did anyone watch this is dubbed English? It defaulted to that and we left it for 2 episodes but switched over to subtitles after that. The dub was pretty horrendous. Red light, green light is far more sinister in the non dubbed version because of the doll's singing. 

I don’t know if they’ll go with everyone being a previous winner. Square guys possibly with Rectangles and Circles just being recruits.

As for the show as a whole, it’s the only thing for about 20 years that I’ve binged through in an entire day. I’m not usually one to get caught up in the hype of a Netflix series as more often than not they’re nowhere near as good as they’re made out to be, but this had me hooked right away. 
Goes without saying too that you should go with the subtitles over the dubbed audio. Dubs are better these days but you miss out on a lot of the actual acting from the actors speaking in their native language.

• Paid Members

It's a fantastic show. I was worried it was going to be all shine and no substance, but the acting is brilliant. In my view you HAVE to sub rather than dub, because I can't imagine being as emotionally invested in the characters without hearing their actual voices and the emotions within them. My daughter thinks 067 is the coolest person on TV, she's not wrong is she?

The second series ought to go into how the staff are recruited as suggested above. That's the main thing yet to be explained. I thought perhaps they are criminals doing this as their punishment sentence, but there's nothing to suggest the government is behind the games is there?

How much do you feel for Sang-Woo's mum? She bursts with pride whenever she mentions her son. They did a great job transforming him into an antagonist, especially with Ali's death. Fuck, that 6th episode broke me. 

Only negative is that I thought the Western actors (VIPs) were a bit shit, but that's not a big part of the show really. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Only negative is that I thought the Western actors (VIPs) were a bit shit, but that's not a big part of the show really. 

This is actually a common issue in Far Eastern cinema and TV. I'm not sure why that is, I wonder if it's the same when a Korean or Japanese character is in an American or British film.

• Paid Members

Yeah the VIP acting was quite jarring amongst everyone elses. 69, am I right?! It's also strange how 001 would have fit in amongst them had he not taken part in the games. His overall demeaner was nothing like the rest of them, despite him being a wrong un ultimately. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is actually a common issue in Far Eastern cinema and TV. I'm not sure why that is, I wonder if it's the same when a Korean or Japanese character is in an American or British film.

They probably still get Peter Sellers to play them. 

I liked it from the start, very inventive and loved that the champion of the district (forgot his number) ended up being a complete and massive douchebag. 

I got the twist with 001 early on and the same with the cops brother. 

I was also saddened that the organ harvesting subplot didnt go anywhere. Who set the trapdoors in the furnaces and gathered the equipment? how did they know the doctor would be in that particular game. Had this happened in previous games?

It was much fun and the tug of war was superbly done, but I did feel it disappeared up it's own arse  a bit towards the end borrowing glibly from Lost and others. 

I felt that there was more to come with the possible lesbian subplot and both of their back stories were never resolved that satisfactorily during the games, only afterwards. 

The Battle Royal II set up at the end also was jarring as the whole thing was set up to be an allegory for how shit society is to those less fortunate and I hope it doesn't go full on guns guns guns in any sequel. 

Definitely keen to revisit it to see what I've missed though, one of the best things for ages.