Celebrity Freakshow Shit-Boxing Thread

Carbomb

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

But I'd have thought his marketing would be such that he'd just be able to say: "Yeh, but against real professionals in the prime of my life, I'm still 50-0". 

Yeah, that won't really matter though. The last thing people would remember of his boxing career is him getting dropped by a total bum. 

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

don't get the impression they care too much, though - haven't all of Mayweather's shit-boxing fights been exhibitions, so as to protect his precious unbeaten record

No. As he says it isn’t about the zero in the L column, it’s the zeroes in the bank he is more concerned with. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

No. As he says it isn’t about the zero in the L column, it’s the zeroes in the bank he is more concerned with. 

Of course it's about the zeroes in the "L" column as well. If it was all about the money he'd have taken the Manny fight when it was much hotter ticket, but he didn't because he knew that it would pose more of a threat to his unbeaten record.

His unbeaten run is a very big part of the reason why he managed to throw those zeroes onto the end of his bank account, after all.

18 minutes ago, David said:

Of course it's about the zeroes in the "L" column as well. If it was all about the money he'd have taken the Manny fight when it was much hotter ticket, but he didn't because he knew that it would pose more of a threat to his unbeaten record.

His unbeaten run is a very big part of the reason why he managed to throw those zeroes onto the end of his bank account, after all.

The much hotter ticket? It was the highest grossing PPV at the time. It wouldn’t have done the business it did had they fought when it was first talked about. The fighters’ profiles were bigger when they fought and got them both a much larger wedge. 

• Paid Members

See, what the fuck is a “Deji”? I know I’m old and I’m sure he’s a big deal to someone. For some reason. But shite like that doesn’t even have “freakshow”appeal to me because the ‘celebrities’ in these fights are cack. Like that Gib bloke who fought one of the Pauls before whose name had some really weird spelling. Or the one with Salt in his name recently that I can’t be arsed to look up. Freakshows used to be stuff like Big Nog vs Bob Sapp. Now it’s legends against some kid off YouTube who has millions of followers for some reason. Yeah, I’m old. I’d probably be fine with even this crap if it was the occasional thing. I was always partial to the spectacle of a proper silly freakshow fight. But now these weird fights and exhibitions are happening every other month. It doesn’t even have any of the novelty factor anymore, which is the only thing that made them even a bit appealing. If it was Lennox Lewis against Piers Morgan then yeah, sign me up. But seeing some headline that Boxing legend X is fighting ‘cLiVe456789’ off YouTube does absolutely nothing for me. 

Caring about your record/legacy and caring about the money you can still make are not mutually exclusive, so Im not sure why people are at odds here (well, as its David Im fairly sure why!). Floyd cares about his legacy, but when theres an endless line of money marks willing to give him millions of dollars for a sparring session, then that obviously overides any concern with 'legacy'. We all think its silly, but the truth is, surely Mayweather is in the Top 5 earners for boxing/MMA for the last couple of years. In 10/20 years time, no one will be talking about or remembering these things, even if he gets KOd in one, so its a no brainer to rinse these guys for as long as possible.

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The much hotter ticket? It was the highest grossing PPV at the time. It wouldn’t have done the business it did had they fought when it was first talked about. The fighters’ profiles were bigger when they fought and got them both a much larger wedge. 

The general consensus is that the fight took place a few years too late. They were both on the slide by the time it happened. But again, Mayweather knew he had to time it properly to protect his unbeaten status. 

Without that 0 on his record he would lose a lot of the lustre of the "Money Mayweather" persona. There's a reason he would constantly bang on about never being beaten. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

They were both on the slide by the time it happened.

Absolutely, but it made tons more than if they’d have fought when they were at the top of their game. He said something along the lines of a hundred mill fight became a billion fight because of the years spent waiting. They’re both wankers, Floyd more so, and I hope they end up broke and defeated 

6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

See, what the fuck is a “Deji”? I know I’m old and I’m sure he’s a big deal to someone. For some reason. But shite like that doesn’t even have “freakshow”appeal to me because the ‘celebrities’ in these fights are cack. Like that Gib bloke who fought one of the Pauls before whose name had some really weird spelling. Or the one with Salt in his name recently that I can’t be arsed to look up. Freakshows used to be stuff like Big Nog vs Bob Sapp. Now it’s legends against some kid off YouTube who has millions of followers for some reason. Yeah, I’m old. I’d probably be fine with even this crap if it was the occasional thing. I was always partial to the spectacle of a proper silly freakshow fight. But now these weird fights and exhibitions are happening every other month. It doesn’t even have any of the novelty factor anymore, which is the only thing that made them even a bit appealing. If it was Lennox Lewis against Piers Morgan then yeah, sign me up. But seeing some headline that Boxing legend X is fighting ‘cLiVe456789’ off YouTube does absolutely nothing for me. 

He is KSI's brother. Both got popular off the back of FIFA videos and comedy skits on Youtube. We probably have all this YouTuber boxing shite because of those two fighting the Paul brothers and it being a success. Deji lost to Jake Paul and a few other Youtubers. So Floyd is amusingly fighting the crapper brother again, like with Logan Paul.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Absolutely, but it made tons more than if they’d have fought when they were at the top of their game.

How so? I've never heard anyone say that before. The fight was first discussed in late 2009/early 2010, when Mayweather was just off wins over Juan Manuel Mårquez & Shane Moseley. He was 33 years old.

Pacquiao was running a 12 fight win streak or something, and was 30 years old. 

Both guys in their prime, and from what I've read and seen it was always said that them fighting at that time would be the biggest thing in boxing. Don't get me wrong, it still was, but I don't think the interest was quite as much when Manny had been sparked in vicious fashion by Juan Manuel MĂĄrquez and had lost to Timothy Bradley immediately before that. I remember the fight rolling around and thinking "Meh, Mayweather wins this quite easily because it's not the same Manny of a few years ago."

I think, and we don't actually know of course, that a fight between them when both of them were still on a roll and in their primes would have been bigger.

Yes the actual fight would’ve been better but the market wasn’t what it was then. Look at their PPV buys around that time. Pac rarely got over 1 mill and Mayweather didn’t get 2 mill. The five year hype, the talk of ducking, the what ifs, the way streaming technology advanced, these all added to the audience. 

Im not disputing the level of sporting prowess was as it would’ve been, I’m saying it wouldn’t have got the buys and viewers. Both fighters’ profiles were raised in the subsequent years so more casuals were interested too. 

Edited by Keith Houchen