Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

5 minutes ago, TibBo said:

keith, is the accessible bit a separate sectioned-off area of the venue? Not too familiar with it

In Academy one, it’s a balcony. This was for Academy 2 which if I remember from the last time I went there, was a bit at the side of the room with a few bar stools. 

The thing with the balcony in One is how they also use it for some “Guests” of the bands. Last time I went there a band member gave a shout out to his family who were up in the balcony. Without meaning to sound ungrateful, it’s a shame that the disabled have to give up what few provisions there are so that able bodied guests are catered for. The staff at Academy are brilliant though, want to make that clear. 

2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I saw them years ago being supported by a local group, I think called hey pablo or something similar, and the Ping Pong Bitches.

It might have been my first gig, that or AC/DC, but still the ping pong bitches stand out as the worst musical act I've ever seen and I don't think anyone in the room that night thought different. The cheer that went up when they said the next one was the last song was something.

I used to have a CD by the Ping Pong Bitches - I bought it for 50p in the Vinyl Exchange in Manchester, purely because I enjoy shite and the band name made me think they were probably stupid and / or terrible. To my absolute delight, they were both stupid and terrible! I'd love to have seen them live. I can imagine they were fucking dreadful.

49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In Academy one, it’s a balcony. This was for Academy 2 which if I remember from the last time I went there, was a bit at the side of the room with a few bar stools. 

The thing with the balcony in One is how they also use it for some “Guests” of the bands. Last time I went there a band member gave a shout out to his family who were up in the balcony. Without meaning to sound ungrateful, it’s a shame that the disabled have to give up what few provisions there are so that able bodied guests are catered for. The staff at Academy are brilliant though, want to make that clear. 

I was going to say at the brum one they used to kinda just let band members and Shan gets-on wander up there as it was basically a balcony area.

if you could get standard tickets and just have a friendly word with the security/staff I am sure they would let you up there, as they normally have extra room for the bands/guest list etc anyway?

or If you would rather not chance it on the night you could always just message one of the support acts as I’m guessing they would be easier to contact directly than the headliner?

5 minutes ago, TibBo said:

if you could get standard tickets and just have a friendly word with the security/staff I am sure they would let you up there

They don’t, and it’s good they don’t to be honest. Otherwise the area set aside for disabled fans would be full of non disabled fans taking what very few spaces disabled fans have. 

Got a ticket for Biffy at The Piece Hall in Halifax. My mate lives in Halifax and they're one of his all time favourite bands. I'm absolutely made up for him that they're playing there. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Panhead said:

Got a ticket for Biffy at The Piece Hall in Halifax. My mate lives in Halifax and they're one of his all time favourite bands. I'm absolutely made up for him that they're playing there. 

No disrespect to Halifax, but is this a prestigious venue or something? I'm sure Pixies played there recently, which is great, but I'm sure it was the only other date apart from London, which does seem a bit odd. 

Edit: ignore me, it's upcoming and nowhere near the only other date, and loads of big acts are playing there and it looks gorgeous. 

Viva Halifax!

Edited by SuperBacon
Its educashunaaaaal

Gary Óg and some other Irish rebel acts in Manchester a week on Friday, should be lively.

7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

No disrespect to Halifax, but is this a prestigious venue or something? I'm sure Pixies played there recently, which is great, but I'm sure it was the only other date apart from London, which does seem a bit odd. 

Edit: ignore me, it's upcoming and nowhere near the only other date, and loads of big acts are playing there and it looks gorgeous. 

Viva Halifax!

The venue being called Piece Hall probably confuses people at first, as people are thinking it's going to be your usual type of concert hall not a stunning, outdoor courtyard.

spacer.png

There's a BBC article all about the place coming back from the dead and becoming the place people want to play over Leeds and Manchester (according to the promoters at least). It's only a few miles from where I live, so should they ever book anyone I really want to see I'll be there (I did want to see First Aid Kit there, but I was away in Sweden when they played).

11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Viva Halifax!

It's a really great place to watch bands at. Every time I've been, the sound has been really good too. The courtyard just seems to hold the sound in better than most outdoor venues. Plus there's a phenomenal Greek takeaway just up the road from there😂

Over the last couple of years there, I've seen the Manics, Embrace, Queens Of The Stone Age, Limp Bizkit,  and back to back nights of boygenius. This year I've got tickets for Placebo, Pixies, Korn and Biffy.

3 hours ago, Tamura said:

Gary Óg and some other Irish rebel acts in Manchester a week on Friday, should be lively.

The venue being called Piece Hall probably confuses people at first, as people are thinking it's going to be your usual type of concert hall not a stunning, outdoor courtyard.

spacer.png

There's a BBC article all about the place coming back from the dead and becoming the place people want to play over Leeds and Manchester (according to the promoters at least). It's only a few miles from where I live, so should they ever book anyone I really want to see I'll be there (I did want to see First Aid Kit there, but I was away in Sweden when they played).

It's less than 10 minutes from the station near where I live and similar in a taxi. I hope you get to see someone there soon. It's such a beautiful venue. It must be nice for the band's too not just to be looking out at the same arena or academy set up. 

I turned down watching Limp Bizkit there because the memories of watching my first gig of theirs ten years before was so strong that I didn't want to tarnish it, and I assumed Halifax would be a half-full gig in a small venue on their tour. Thinking maybe I made the wrong decision now.