The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Canada went top of CONCACAF qualifying though with a big win over Mexico.

Good to see them flourishing before they host the World Cup in 5 years, makes their addition all the more worthy, bit like how Qatar have become a strong Asian side just at the right time. Jonathan David and Alphonse Davies are going to be fun to watch at the World Cup, though with the amount of talent USMNT (I'm sorry) have they really should be leading that group.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

South Africa went out too, losing to Ghana to a horrendous penalty decision. They're appealling to FIFA.

Yeah, FIFA have really open up a can of worms things up here by setting a precedent during the 2018 qualifications.

It was more or less the other way around- South Africa beat Senegal, but the Ghanaian referee gave South Africa a penalty that never was. FIFA found the referee to be guilty of match manipulation and the match was replayed- which South Africa lost. No wonder South Africa are appealing- having lost against Ghana to a dubious penalty, called by a Senegalese referee. The only reason the previous match was allowed to be replayed was because FIFA found the referee to be guilty, so will the same happen again here? If so, how often are we going to start seeing this? Maybe Ireland can still play in that tournament that Henry prevented them from qualifying for and they can finally stop crying about it.

Surprised to see Cameroon finish ahead of Ivory Coast. Cameroon haven't seemed to be a strong side to me for a good 10 years, whereas Ivory Coast still have a wealth of talent at their disposal.

On the European side, no Haaland at the World Cup- which is a shame. Norway being a watered-down early 2010s Belgium really need that one tournament qualification to help their seeding. Italy and Portugal risk missing out and have to win a two-round playoff. No Ronaldo at the World Cup would be wonderful.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Good to see them flourishing before they host the World Cup in 5 years, makes their addition all the more worthy, bit like how Qatar have become a strong Asian side just at the right time. Jonathan David and Alphonse Davies are going to be fun to watch at the World Cup, though with the amount of talent USMNT (I'm sorry) have they really should be leading that group.

Yeah, FIFA have really open up a can of worms things up here by setting a precedent during the 2018 qualifications.

It was more or less the other way around- South Africa beat Senegal, but the Ghanaian referee gave South Africa a penalty that never was. FIFA found the referee to be guilty of match manipulation and the match was replayed- which South Africa lost. No wonder South Africa are appealing- having lost against Ghana to a dubious penalty, called by a Senegalese referee. The only reason the previous match was allowed to be replayed was because FIFA found the referee to be guilty, so will the same happen again here? If so, how often are we going to start seeing this? Maybe Ireland can still play in that tournament that Henry prevented them from qualifying for and they can finally stop crying about it.

Why stop there, perhaps we can go back as far as Maradona's "hand of God"goal and replay that tournament and England can finally stop crying about that too. 

Talking of decisions. I had the TV on in the background the other day and Sky Sports were showing one of their classic games (when City beat United 6-1) so thought I would just keep it on and watch it and it felt really odd seeing a game without VAR or stoppages. I know obviously the game took place before the days of VAR but no videos checks for 2 minutes or waiting to see if a goal stands because of possible offsides. A few iffy challenges as you would expect in a derby. But feels like VAR has taken something away from the game (I know it's served a purpose at times and worked really well at the Euros). 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Why stop there, perhaps we can go back as far as Maradona's "hand of God"goal and replay that tournament and England can finally stop crying about that too. 

After the other goal he scored in that game, he could have had all the hands of god against England he wanted. He earned it.

• Paid Members

I can never understand the obsession of every "footy acca banter" page who spend these weeks moaning about how much they hate the "international break," yet come tournament time they're at the front of the queue with their "Coming Home" troupe.

Its great to see Canada doing so well. They've been massive underachievers for years, usually struggling to reach the final "Hex" round in Concacaf qualifying. John Herdman's done a good job there.

Edited by garynysmon

6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Cameroon haven't seemed to be a strong side to me for a good 10 years

My boys!!!

You're absolutely right though, theyve not been great for a long while. With a home Cup Of Nations coming up it'll be interesting to see how they fare.

Genuinely hope they qualify for the WC just so I can bust out my shirts for an actual reason for once.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Either the UKFF search function continues to be shit, or it was in my dreams that there was a separate thread for international football.

It's a non domestic football thread, it's if you want to be pedantic or not about the Welsh national team not being domestic within the UK.