WWE Fastlane 2021

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I don't think a show is particularly intrusive four weeks before WrestleMania if done right. St. Valentine's Day Massacre and most of the No Way Outs were always fine. Fastlane's just so generic, though. I know it's all about the creative going into the show and not the name and branding of it, but you just know it's usually going to be a whole load of nothing. I don't think it works as an identity. They should go with something else next year. Just call it 'The Road to WrestleMania' if you really want to shoehorn the point home. I know this stuff barely matters, but the name falls into that 2009 on pit of despair to me next to shite like Over The Limit, Bragging Rights, The Bash etc. 

But ... they're already on the Road to WrestleMania ... but because it's ... quite soon afterwards, they are now taking the Fast Lane on that road. Full speed ahead, etc. I assume that's the logic. 

3 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I don't think a show is particularly intrusive four weeks before WrestleMania if done right. St. Valentine's Day Massacre and most of the No Way Outs were always fine. Fastlane's just so generic, though. I know it's all about the creative going into the show and not the name and branding of it, but you just know it's usually going to be a whole load of nothing. I don't think it works as an identity. They should go with something else next year. Just call it 'The Road to WrestleMania' if you really want to shoehorn the point home. I know this stuff barely matters, but the name falls into that 2009 on pit of despair to me next to shite like Over The Limit, Bragging Rights, The Bash etc. 

To be fair most of those February PPVs took place about 6 weeks before WrestleMania. But then again in 1999/2000 the storylines were a hell of a lot better anyway. They also had a cracking roster to work with.

• Paid Members

Agree with 'The Road to Wrestlemania' as a PPV - If used or booked correctly it could inject some fresh impetus into the whole post Christmas period if they change a championship or two 'on the road to Wrestlemania' and tie up any loose ends. There should be a couple of matches set in stone for the big event but the main issue is everything just is during this time. It would be good to try and reenergise the whole scene. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Agree with 'The Road to Wrestlemania' as a PPV - If used or booked correctly it could inject some fresh impetus into the whole post Christmas period if they change a championship or two 'on the road to Wrestlemania' and tie up any loose ends. There should be a couple of matches set in stone for the big event but the main issue is everything just is during this time. It would be good to try and reenergise the whole scene. 

I don’t think that would make much difference given how often titles change hands on TV. Unless you mean the World titles, in which case people would complain that the big title matches for Mania didn’t get “proper build.” Conveniently forgetting that the best main event this century (Mania 17) only got finalised at a No Way Out.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, air_raid said:

I don’t think that would make much difference given how often titles change hands on TV. Unless you mean the World titles, in which case people would complain that the big title matches for Mania didn’t get “proper build.” Conveniently forgetting that the best main event this century (Mania 17) only got finalised at a No Way Out.

Yeah the World Heavyweight Championships changing hands is what I meant. I know I'm old enough to remember what genuine unpredictability felt like and the edginess that the product had for a brief spell. 

Instead of the protracted storylines and reactive booking that takes place every year it would give them an out, if they needed it and in my head, generate a bit of interest and buzz again. I know the product is essentially dead, but it's nice to think the good times could come back with one or two changes. 

• Paid Members

There's nothing inherently wrong with a pay-per-view between the Rumble and Wrestlemania to help just get all the last pieces in place; The Rock didn't win the WWF title to set up Rock/Austin at Wrestlemania 17 until No Way Out, the PPV right before 'Mania. The problem is that we just had Elimination Chamber, which served that purpose in terms of getting the title off of Drew McIntyre to get things in line for a road to Wrestlemania. But to have another pay-per-view that just feels a complete afterthought is ridiculous. 

It's not like it even feels like it has potential to be a sleeper hit like some underwhelming WWE cards have in the past - Bryan vs. Reigns should be great, but everything else on the card looks dire. It's a show that should be setting the tone and getting everyone excited for Wrestlemania (and, I believe, the first PPV on Peacock, so they should be trying to hit a home run) and it looks like it's more likely to do the exact opposite.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

should be setting the tone and getting everyone excited for Wrestlemania (and, I believe, the first PPV on Peacock, so they should be trying to hit a home run) and it looks like it's more likely to do the exact opposite.

As I understand it, this is being viewed as essentially a test event for doing a PPV type event on Peacock so as not to smooth out any possible cock ups with the tech before Mania. So it's fully possible they don't give a shit about the quality of the show, unfortunately 

17 hours ago, mim731 said:

As I understand it, this is being viewed as essentially a test event for doing a PPV type event on Peacock so as not to smooth out any possible cock ups with the tech before Mania. So it's fully possible they don't give a shit about the quality of the show, unfortunately 

What has been there excuse in past years?

21 hours ago, mim731 said:

Don't see why there would be any fuck ups with their stream on Peacock, it has gained over 33 million subscibers within a year. Anyway It'll be the same live feed that's going out on the WWE Network to other countries such as the UK.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Perry said:

Don't see why there would be any fuck ups with their stream on Peacock, it has gained over 33 million subscibers within a year. Anyway It'll be the same live feed that's going out on the WWE Network to other countries such as the UK.

I would imagine they are just being cautious with the migration to a new platform for their live streaming. 

• Paid Members

As if everything surrounding Daniel Bryan wasn’t weird and crazy enough leading into this show. Peacock might have just leaked something that suggests Sunday might be one of his last matches!

AA16BFCC-A3A2-4281-82A5-31DBCEAF26AD.thumb.jpeg.838ea162981c3c59fedc498d9ac0ac89.jpeg

It would be the most fitting end to Daniel Bryan’s WWE career if his last match was on the PPV before Wrestlemania, used to try and get another, less suited babyface over for the top spot at the big show. I’m now fully expecting him to endorse Edge after putting Roman over clean. Show ends with Edge doing the Yes chant.

Edited by Supremo