WWE Fastlane 2021

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

Probably the most intrusive PPV ever, coming just 4 weeks before Wrestlemania, is this show this Sunday and with less than a week to go, the only matches that have been announced are as follows

Daniel Bryan vs Roman Reigns - Universal Title (Edge or Jay Uso as guest enforcer)

Big E vs Apollo Crews - Intercontinental Title

Nia Jax/Shayna Baszler vs Bianca BelAir/Sasha Banks - Women’s Tag Team Titles

Not counting Jax and Baszler as they hold a cross brand belt, there is absolutely nothing announced from the Raw side but expect a feud settler between McIntyre and Sheamus to be announced tonight and 2-3 other filler matches 

• Paid Members

Yeah. I think they’re going to try and do something special for their first show on Peacock. The problem is that they’re so far gone that even their attempts to do something special usually fall flat now. We don’t even get the crazed, ridiculous reactions to record low ratings anymore.

Looking forward to Drew and Sheamus having a rematch of playing conkers with their own heads though. That was hilarious.

B42FAA9D-37C0-4AA0-9E4F-646FC9761E8D.thumb.jpeg.2d8aa08008681fa483b0b43473e066a7.jpeg

• Paid Members

Horrible booking thoughts going through my head:

1. Bryan gets buried and in a WM9 moment, gives his blessing to Edge to face Reigns at 'Mania to win the title back for the good guys.

2. Lesnar interrupts the Drew/Sheamus match, kills both making it Bobby vs Brock. 

3. The above but we get a fatal four way at 'Mania. 

4. We get two triple threats, one for either title with the respective winners stating each other down to set up a belt Vs belt feud over the summer. 

There's no way they get it right. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sonny Mustang said:

It’s even worse- it’s 2 weeks and 6 days before the first night of Wrestlemania 🤦‍♀️

Only 7 days prior to the original date of Wrestlemania - I'm assuming (hoping) it wasn't originally the plan to have this a week before?? Guessing this got shifted too given they can basically do as they please with dates right now.

I think WrestleMania has always been held in March everytime Easter falls on the first Sunday of April.  7th April had been the latest date a WrestleMania had been held until now.

EDIT Just realised that Mania 34 was held on 8th April.

Edited by Perry

3 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Horrible booking thoughts going through my head:

1. Bryan gets buried and in a WM9 moment, gives his blessing to Edge to face Reigns at 'Mania to win the title back for the good guys.

2. Lesnar interrupts the Drew/Sheamus match, kills both making it Bobby vs Brock. 

3. The above but we get a fatal four way at 'Mania. 

4. We get two triple threats, one for either title with the respective winners stating each other down to set up a belt Vs belt feud over the summer. 

There's no way they get it right. 

Yeah, number one I think. 

On late booking, I am a huge fan of what they did for Mania 28. A full year of build to Rock V Cena. That was one of those rare situations where you had a match that needed a stadium as opposed to a stadium that needed a match. Would love for them to do the same thing for Rock V Reigns.

51 minutes ago, Supremo said:

If Vince is still running this thing in three to four years I think we’ll go into a Wrestlemania where the card isn’t announced until the pre-show.

I watched the go home for Wrestlemania 17 the other day, and Angle/Benoit was just set up in a 5 minute segment. Angle came out and complained he didn’t have a match, Benoit came out and said he didn’t either so let’s have a fight and that was it. It was very strange.

I always think its one of the biggest wrestling myths out there that Wrestlemania is some sort of series finale where everything comes to a head and feuds end.

Apart from the odd exception with the really big matches, most feuds start just before Mania and see endless rematches through the summer.

I don't think a show is particularly intrusive four weeks before WrestleMania if done right. St. Valentine's Day Massacre and most of the No Way Outs were always fine. Fastlane's just so generic, though. I know it's all about the creative going into the show and not the name and branding of it, but you just know it's usually going to be a whole load of nothing. I don't think it works as an identity. They should go with something else next year. Just call it 'The Road to WrestleMania' if you really want to shoehorn the point home. I know this stuff barely matters, but the name falls into that 2009 on pit of despair to me next to shite like Over The Limit, Bragging Rights, The Bash etc. 

2 minutes ago, Perry said:

So they've added Randy Orton V Alexa Bliss to the card. I thought they wanted to move away from violence against women on their shows? Seems to be the kind of match that would've been booked during the Ruthless Aggression Era

I’d be very surprised if it’s any sort of match at all. 30 seconds of nothing before Bray turns back up and there’s some kind of DQ. It’s an angle masquerading as a match