• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dropkick, you say?

I assume that's a typo, so here you go.    

Posted Images

13 hours ago, IronSheik said:

Yeah it's up there too. I always wondered whether they intended him to have one foot on the ground or whether they just ran with it off the cuff?

Double post, soz.

Edited by Statto
Double post.
13 hours ago, IronSheik said:

Yeah it's up there too. I always wondered whether they intended him to have one foot on the ground or whether they just ran with it off the cuff?

I think the one foot on the floor & the other waving around like Shawn did was very deliberate, as I'm pretty sure that was the first year they'd added & emphasised "with both feet hitting the floor" to the rules spiel, presumably with that finishing spot in mind.

Before that it was just "over the top rope & onto the floor".

This is why I put no stock in those wags who claim Kerry von Erich couldn't possibly have been eliminated in 1992. Different rules.

The spot in WCW where Bret got speared out of his boots by Goldberg but knocked Bill out as he had a metal plate under his shirt was a tremendous spot. 

Never went anywhere but was a cool spot.

Edited by IronSheik
  • Paid Members

I’m not sure where a spot becomes just a move but the Tanaka/Kato version of the Orient Express did a crescent kick/German Suplex combo finish that should be as revered as the PowerPlex but sadly isn’t.

• Paid Members

BBD6E128-CEE7-474E-A889-5EC22892C1CA.gif.17992940f8d0a69500238f83070c58bb.gif

I don’t think they ever did a smarter finish. Genuinely surprising, yet making complete sense. Russo spent decades trying to recreate this type of surprise without truly understanding why it worked in the first place.

9 hours ago, Supremo said:

BBD6E128-CEE7-474E-A889-5EC22892C1CA.gif.17992940f8d0a69500238f83070c58bb.gif

I don’t think they ever did a smarter finish. Genuinely surprising, yet making complete sense. Russo spent decades trying to recreate this type of surprise without truly understanding why it worked in the first place.

This is such a great shout. They gave several compelling reasons to watch which would suggest one of several outcomes (Bret loses and can't wrestle in the US, Michaels had to be impartial, there were hints of Kane potentially debuting). It was a very smart finish as you say. Just a shame they didn't appear to have anything for Bret or any of the Hart Foundation to do for two months after this.