Random visits

Lion_of_the_Midlands

• Paid Members

Mention in the Greatest Album thread of everyone's favourite former British tennis number 1/National Front nutcase Buster Mottram brought back the memory of him coming to my primary school to teach all the kids PE one day. 

It must have been 1979/80, I would have been 7 or 8. Obviously the far right are very keen on a healthy and fit youth section, but we didn't know about his politics, we were just happy to whack tennis balls at each other for a change, rather than watch Kim Waters cry because the football had hit him in the face again when he tried to head it, which was our normal PE lesson. 

So did any randoms turn up at your school to teach you stuff/give talks?

• Paid Members

Peter Fear. At the time he was a fringe player for Wimbledon FC and he came to my primary school to teach us his footballing skills. All I can remember is playing a huge 30 odd 7 year olds vs Peter where he beat us handily. Zodiac off of Gladiators also came to that school for some sort of fitness thing and I had a photo with her. 

In my secondary school 2 ex Harlem Globetrotters came to show us how much better they were at basketball. I couldn't remember their names if you paid me, but they did some great tricks.  

• Paid Members

We were holidaying in Malta one year, driving along a road to find our favourite beach, when the Treasure Hunt helicopter landed next to us and out jumped Anneka Rice.

Think it's this bit we drive past in.

Nicholas Lyndhurst filmed one of his WH Smith's adverts at our secondary school.

He then gave a speech to our drama class in his "schoolgirl" character uniform minus the wig, which was REALLY weird.

He didn't appreciate being asked by my mate Dave "From one Dave to another, how tiring is it when people call you Dave" and got really huffy.

• Paid Members

For some reason, Eurovision losers Scooch did a tour of junior and secondary schools in Feltham, Hounslow and Hampton. This was a couple of years before Eurovision though, so I don’t know exactly how well known they was. But this emerging goth wasn’t too impressed.

I still have the autographed card we was all given. And only 3 of them signed it. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Moderators

Va'aiga Tuigamala came to my secondary school in 1999 and visited with my year group in assembly in a surprise. I was off ill that day, which is doubly frustrated as I was prior  to that assembly the only person who had a clue who he was.

• Paid Members

Not a school visit per se, but on a school trip to the Transport Museum in London, Terry Wogan (pre knighthood) was filming something. Our teacher convinced him to come other and say hello, which he did and he was, as expected, quality.

One of my mates whispered 'I thought he was dead', which he heard and replied with a jovial 'Ho ho, rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated'.

• Paid Members

We had Princess Di pop by too, although it was to a community centre not school, and annoyingly she arrived by car not helicopter.  I can only assume Airmiles Andy was off on a nonce trip in it that day.
I was picked as one of the kids from our school to go along to make up the numbers but all I really remember about it was the adults being way more excited than the kids and being disappointed that she didn’t really do anything. 
She died on my birthday a few years later and I was convinced we had some kind of connection so I made my mum buy me the Candle in the Wind CD and played it on repeat for about three weeks straight. I was a strange child. 

• Paid Members

Forgot that they shot some scenes from Alan Bleasdale's GBH at my old school.

Turned up in my form room on a Monday morning, looked out of the window and found myself looking straight at Julie Walters having her hair done in a portakabin outside. Got an unsolicited wave too.

1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

For some reason, Eurovision losers Scooch did a tour of junior and secondary schools in Feltham, Hounslow and Hampton. This was a couple of years before Eurovision though, so I don’t know exactly how well known they was. But this emerging goth wasn’t too impressed.

I still have the autographed card we was all given. And only 3 of them signed it. 

Did it replace English class that day?

Atomic Kitten, A-1 and BB Mac (think that's how you type it) did promo gigs in our school hall plugging whatever single they had out.

Andy McCluskey from OMD was the original songwriter for Atomic Kitten. I was 11, but knew him from seeing their videos on VH1 Classic, went up to him saying 'are you bloke from OMD?' and he said 'Yes, how on earth do you know that?' The exact same reaction as when I met Paul Bown.

Also OB from Hollyoaks popped in to tell us acting was a great career and don't do drugs.

• Paid Members

More Princess Diana than I thought ad well. 

Sticking with her though, my mum used to work at a day services for people with autism/challenging behaviour.  Princess Diana turned up to open the new extension, so the managers shipped out all the service users who were likely to cause problems because they wanted it to go smoothly. The problem was they overlooked 1 guy they should have sent out with the rest. He was middle aged chap with Down Syndrome, who 99.99% of the time was a lovely man. He liked the TV programme Wheel Of Fortune, and steam trains. The problem was that other 0.01% of the time. Then he would throw his own shit at everyone and threaten to kill your family. 

My mum said that the security for Princess Di didn't know what to do and looked pretty scared as he charged at them. The staff however managed to get him out of the room with a minimum of fuss and the People's Princess remained unthreatened and faeces free.