Random visits

Lion_of_the_Midlands

I'm a Rotherham lad and The Chuckle Brothers attended my schools Summer fair, would have been 1990 or 1991 during peak Chucklemania. They got set up in a corner and took pictures with anybody that wanted one. I'm the one in the middle whose eyes haven't yet grown in yet. I've still got a strong memory of how itchy Paul's jumper was.

May be an image of 3 people and people smiling

Helen Sharman, the first British astronaut in space, popped in a couple of times too because she was from Sheffield. She didn't do photos or have itchy knitwear though.

• Awards Moderator

We never had anyone at our schools, but Frank Bruno turned up to do a charity fun run in the village once. I think my dad managed to get me and my friends to the front so we could run alongside him but I wasn't a boxing fan at the age of 6, so beyond knowing he was a famous boxer it didn't really mean anything to me. I'd have probably preferred any of the Gladiators to have shown up instead - they were the real athletes.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Just thought of another, actually. When in the last year of junior school(1992 or 3), our main topic at the time was about how there was shit loads of different forms of poetry. As part of the topic, we got a visit from poet, journalist, playwright and broadcaster(and professional Barnsley personality), Ian McMillan. He was a lovely bloke who agreed to come as a favour to our teacher, who he was big friends with from as they attended Barnsley games for years together.  

As part of the lesson, we had to get into groups and write 3 poems. One a "standard" poem, and two poems in our dialect, that use the same structure. After about 20 minutes, we had the normal one done, and one of the dialect ones done("Barnsley FC, Barnsley FC, Barnsley FC, 'reight team!...") but couldn't decide on the third. So he came over listened and got his wallet out. He closed his eyes and took out a random bank card, which just happened to be a Barclays one, and worked with us to make a humorous poem about the bank(sorry, can't remember much about it).

The thing is, many years later in 2008 Barnsley reached the semi-final of the FA cup at Wembley. When getting on the coach, my best mate pointed out he was sat a few rows in front of us, so we got talking to him. When one of us mentioned he came to our class to teach poetry, and mentioned the Barnsley FC one, he actually remembered teaching us and coming up with the one about the bank. We were buzzing! 

6 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Just thought of another, actually. When in the last year of junior school(1992 or 3), our main topic at the time was about how there was shit loads of different forms of poetry. As part of the topic, we got a visit from poet, journalist, playwright and broadcaster(and professional Barnsley personality), Ian McMillan. He was a lovely bloke who agreed to come as a favour to our teacher, who he was big friends with from as they attended Barnsley games for years together.  

As part of the lesson, we had to get into groups and write 3 poems. One a "standard" poem, and two poems in our dialect, that use the same structure. After about 20 minutes, we had the normal one done, and one of the dialect ones done("Barnsley FC, Barnsley FC, Barnsley FC, 'reight team!...") but couldn't decide on the third. So he came over listened and got his wallet out. He closed his eyes and took out a random bank card, which just happened to be a Barclays one, and worked with us to make a humorous poem about the bank(sorry, can't remember much about it).

The thing is, many years later in 2008 Barnsley reached the semi-final of the FA cup at Wembley. When getting on the coach, my best mate pointed out he was sat a few rows in front of us, so we got talking to him. When one of us mentioned he came to our class to teach poetry, and mentioned the Barnsley FC one, he actually remembered teaching us and coming up with the one about the bank. We were buzzing! 

This has no relevance to your story, but The Bard Of Barnsley sits about 6 seats to the left of me in the East Stand - or he did pre Covid.

He seems a lovely bloke, never moaning when I say 'scuse me' when I need my third piss of the day and make him get up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

This has no relevance to your story, but The Bard Of Barnsley sits about 6 seats to the left of me in the East Stand - or he did pre Covid.

He seems a lovely bloke, never moaning when I say 'scuse me' when I need my third piss of the day and make him get up.

I've never heard anyone have a bad word about him, and he's not a Dicky Bird type who expects everything for free, either. Last I heard, he had an ongoing offer of a free seat in the director's box at Oakwell, but turns it down every year to pay his own way. 

• Paid Members

When I was in Sixth Form S Club Juniors were doing something at our school and handing out signed scratch cards where I think you could win prizes.

Obviously I took the piss out of everyone queueing up to meet them, then quietly snuck in at the end of the day to pick one up, which I have kept safe for 20 years 

CBE40324-9702-4CEF-BFD6-B49506E40922.png