Recipes on YouTube

Carbomb

• Awards Moderator

A +1 for polenta. Mix it slack to use as a porridgey-base for something (nicer than it sounds) or let it setup in the fridge and fry slices of it like a potato cake. DM if you want recipes.

Crossing the streams a little, Blossom Twins ex-of TNA have released a cookbook. Here's all round good egg Matt reviewing the book:

• 2 weeks later...

Not everyone's cup of tea but a few have mentioned him here and I started watching him from that but Barry Lewis has gone from English bloke cooking wacky stuff in his kitchen to seemingly hiring Joshua Weissmans editor and camera man. It's quite the change in style and going down like a lead balloon in his chat. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Not everyone's cup of tea but a few have mentioned him here and I started watching him from that but Barry Lewis has gone from English bloke cooking wacky stuff in his kitchen to seemingly hiring Joshua Weissmans editor and camera man. It's quite the change in style and going down like a lead balloon in his chat. 

I read through his comments earlier. What a shit show. 

His views have been steadily declining over the past two years so I imagine he's brought in an external agency. 

I've been following him for years and I noticed a change in his intros, outros and thumbnails lately. I've noticed his thumbnails changing several times in the first 24 hours Mr Beast style too. But the editing on this latest video has erased all his Barryness. Barry comes with his own memes (seal, Barrathon) so he doesn't need the generic stuff everyone else has. Even the lack of crouching to get in the frame was jarring. 

The sad thing is this is probably going to net him millions of views as the format is now 'correct' for youtube. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

When did the rest of the family seemingly vanish, I haven't caught much of Barry recently but what I have watched had been missing them completely.

Mrs Barry pops up occasionally. The eldest hasn't been featured for ages, and the youngest rarely. I would guess there's been a conversation about whether kids want to / should be featured on videos. I can imagine the older girl wanting to control her online presence at her age. 

14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I read through his comments earlier. What a shit show. 

His views have been steadily declining over the past two years so I imagine he's brought in an external agency. 

I've been following him for years and I noticed a change in his intros, outros and thumbnails lately. I've noticed his thumbnails changing several times in the first 24 hours Mr Beast style too. But the editing on this latest video has erased all his Barryness. Barry comes with his own memes (seal, Barrathon) so he doesn't need the generic stuff everyone else has. Even the lack of crouching to get in the frame was jarring. 

The sad thing is this is probably going to net him millions of views as the format is now 'correct' for youtube. 

It could kill his channel though. There must be a million people trying to be Joshua Weissman or Babish or Sorted Food. Very few breakthrough to that kind of level.

Barry has spent a decade being the daft bloke trying out rubbish kitchen gadgets or spending a whole day trying to make see-through crisps. That's what his audience wants. It would be a shame if he lost them. Myself I am probably done watching if all his videos look like this now tbh. The comments on that video suggest so would loads of others. It is like one positive comment then 20 negative ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any other Atomic Shrimp watchers? His channel is a bit of a grab bag of different themes, from scambaiting to foraging and scavenging to budget food challenges and trying out tinned foods.

Seems like one of the more genuine lovely lads on the platform, funny and wholesome stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 6:38 PM, Cousin Jim Bob said:

His camera man/editor has now left and his last two videos are Classic Barry style. Feel a bit sorry for him as he says his back is fucked from the camera angles he films at  and setting up all the shots on the tripods. So he brought in a camera man to direct the filming. Problem is 90% of the subscribers hated it. Loads stopped watching, myself included. His views have taken a hefty hit. The kitchen gadget ones would usually get 140k views, the latest one has been out a week and is on 78k. He seemed to love the new filming style but pretty much most of his viewers hated it.

• Awards Moderator
On 8/17/2023 at 12:39 PM, tiger_rick said:

A great video from our own Big Spud. I think this is his best so far. Funny, but not intrusive editing, good content and useful. Great job.

Definitely not the first time he's handled a mini chopper though, eh? Eh?

Thanks Rick. You've always been a great supporter. That whole video was a technical nightmare, it's a miracle it's on YouTube at all frankly. Now I see it up there I can see a terrible split between my two backgrounds on the thumbnail 😆 I'll go fix that now.

The whole bloody thing is such a grind. There are certain minimums you have to hit to start earning money and I'm still not there. My audio routinely craps out - I filmed something Tuesday and the audio was unusable so I had to do the whole thing again on Wednesday. So I had to break down and buy some equipment today. I still really enjoy it, but cooking is such a ballache of a genre to film and edit. This whole paragraph is code for: please like, share and subscribe.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:16 PM, Gus Mears said:

Cracking stuff. Also enjoying the transformation from Plusnet bellend to post weight loss Jonny Vegas.

Still trying to work out if this is a compliment or not, but I'll say a tentative thanks.

And @Merzbow Atomic Shrimp is probably the best thing on YouTube. About as a wholesome and interesting as you can get. Even his mad recent video on glowworms, which was basically a video of black pixels was brilliant.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Noticed your own, your very own, @Onyx2's YouTube channel is 10 subs short of 1,000 which I think is a big deal because you can monetise at that point. It's free, so get subbed and help him out. He's way too nice to come on here and ask, so I'll do it for him. He's a top, top man and a proper UKFF Good Egg.

https://www.youtube.com/@BigSpud/featured