Recipes on YouTube

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Glad to see @PowerButchi has also discovered the Townsends channel on YouTube. First recipe I tried from there was the Roasted Onions, as it was just so simple, plus I found that one of my local supermarket sold these gigantic Spanish onions. The idea of having roast onions in the same way as a roast potato was very intriguing, so I tried the original recipe first, and it was really nice.

Tried it a second time with some chilli flakes and All-Purpose Seasoning, which was lush, then tried a third time like a proper filled baked potato, putting in mac and cheese - didn't quite work, but that was mainly because I microwaved it, so the middle didn't quite cook.

I've also been watching a load of stuff from Jacques Pepin, on basics, and I subscribed to Food Wishes as well - Chef John's up-and-down voice can be a bit annoying, but he churns out so many videos for recipes I want to try. Tried the fondant potatoes last week with the Sunday roast, and those were a big success. But the recipe below is the one I really want to try - it's a long cook, so it will be a big project, not to mention I need to figure out alternatives to the pork ingredients.

Anyone got any particular favourites?

(Thought it might help with bringing #DeathToMegathreads by making the thread more specific.)

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I can't get enough of Kay's Cooking. She takes household classics and makes just absolutely mutated crap versions of them. She doesn't seem to have even the most basic of cooking skills down, she can't chop anything, doesn't season anything, can't cook mince. It's a disaster. The worst thing is I'm not even convinced it's a parody, I think these are the meals she makes.

• Moderators

Kay is amazing.

Lee can't have cheese!

It's not a parody which makes it even better. The Iron Maiden T Shirts, the way she dunks burgers in beaten egg not understanding it has to go in during the bind (Which it doesn't anyway), Lee can't have cheese which means his meat feast pizza is just bits of lamb chucked on tomato sauce laden dough, how black her fried eggs get...

Also, I'll give her this, her chips look fucking perfect.

HIYA PEOPLE!

The 'Beef/Alphabet Pasta Soup My Way' is one of my favourite recipes. Literally consists of boiling mince beef for an hour, then pouring a load of gravy granuels into the water and serving it on top of some pasta. An hour! 

I love how she has two youtube channels - as her son who runs them forgot the password. She definitely is serious about it but I think her son is in on it even though he probably scoffs down all that shit she "cooks". He has his own personal channel which is worth checking out.

If you're wanting to make curry house-style curries at home then I heartily recommend Al's Kitchen. An absolute game changer for me and my curries.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AlsKitchen/videos

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Moderators

Kay's Kitchen is hilarious. Chef John has an extremely annoying voice. I'm a big fan of June on Delish, Food52 (Sohla and Rick mainly) and Joshua Weissman has many good videos - his beginner sourdough is amazing and pretty easy.

• Paid Members

Put me down as a fan of the Babish Culinary Universe. I love watching him make the food from TV and films. I am when I feel confident enough going to try and cook the Timpano from Big Night. If you watch the video you will see that it takes about 2 days to cook. It looks amazing though. 

He also does Basics With Babish. I've made the potsticker dumplings already. It isn't a style of cooking that I am that used to. 

There is a lot of stuff I'm getting around to trying. 

Uncle Roger can fuck right off Bacon. Issuing an apology to the Chinese Communist Party for doing a video with someone who is a critic of theirs, and deleting the video as well. They didn't even discuss politics in the video and he deleted it and apologised before there was any criticism of him from anyone. He might as well be a Tory if he is willing to do that. 

7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Uncle Roger can fuck right off Bacon. Issuing an apology to the Chinese Communist Party for doing a video with someone who is a critic of theirs, and deleting the video as well. They didn't even discuss politics in the video and he deleted it and apologised before there was any criticism of him from anyone. He might as well be a Tory if he is willing to do that. 

Hiiiiyaaaaaa. Didn't know that. Cheers.

• Paid Members

@Lion_of_the_Midlands Babish's channel is a great go-to for me, as he goes into a lot of detail as to variants of the same dish. His mac n' cheese one not only shows you how to make it to varying degrees of quality, but also advises what to avoid:

The other thing he does that I rather like is that he attempts dishes referred to on TV, to see if they're as good as written, like Abed's Buttered Noodles in Community

George Egg - the comedian who cooks - has been doing a great little series on Instagram called Snack Hackers. The naan pizza and French market potatoes are particular favourites of mine.

He's also great to see live. His shows consist of him cooking dishes on stage with unconventional appliances like power tools, cement mixers etc. He did a show called Anarchist Cook where he cooked an entire three-course meal over the shows hour using only the items you'd find in a hotel room. Mini kettle, travel iron, Corby trouser press.

He's also great to see live. His shows consist of him cooking dishes with unconventional appliances like power tools, cement mixers etc. He did a show called Anarchist Cook where he cooked an entire three-course meal over the shows hour using only the items you find in a hotel room. Mini kettle, travel iron, trouser press

• Moderators

I fucking hate Babish as he's a bit peas above sticks for me. Where the fuck can I find Kosher salt? They only sell SAXA around here. Same for all the rest of the stuff. I go to the butchers twice times a week for essentials (Ace sausage rolls too) and my mates farm once a month for fresh game, and if I asked them to find or do the stuff he asks I'd be given a head start before a shotgun cartridge between the shoulder blades. 

• Paid Members

His more fancy stuff, I usually can't be arsed, but he's good for the basics. As to kosher salt, I've tended to just use coarse sea salt or rock salt. As I understand it, in material terms that's the main difference (and the fact it doesn't have iodine in it like table salt, but I've no idea if that affects the flavour).

• Moderators

I like Babish' videos when he sticks to his traditional material, the scripted voice over, but when he's more "freeform" he's fucking awful - a nervous wreck who comes off iffy to me. Watch any of the videos where he is with Sohla or any other channel he appears on. He strikes me as the type of guy who gets quiet angry, you know the type who'd be fuming because his girlfriend ordered the wrong kind of red wine with dinner but through gritted teeth would go "no its ok babe...just give me a minute babe...you know how I am about ensuring we get the right terroir of grape to go with mains babe...a fucking MERLOT with lamb? FUCK...no it's ok babe...I love you babe"

Good choices so far, I'd like to add Adam Ragusea and Glen and Friends to the list. Ragusea basically does Alton Browns schtick but it's very well presented, Glen concentrates on recipes found in older cook books and some food tech stuff too. Honourable mention to School of Wok too, the chilli beef recipe is top notch.