Recipes on YouTube

Carbomb

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, neil said:

I like Larry Wolfe of The Wolfe Pit https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWolfePit

He tries out a lot of cheap frozen foods and has terrible jokes. He also has recipes for budget meals. Nice bloke.

Everytime he takes a break someone starts a rumour he has died of a heart attack and people run with it. Thankfully he showed up again yesterday for "YOU THE PEOPLE!" after two months missing alive and well with a review of Bubba Balls.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

This guy's fucking lost it, I can't tell if he was serious with his cooking vids or if it's a long joke but he made well over 100 episodes with most being taken down for some reason. He's the type that would upload multiple videos a day to zero views but there's now a tiny cult like following.

RINSE THE BEEF!

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I've been looking at a lot more Persian cooking recently - it always seemed very rich and flavoursome. Also, I found out a few years ago that biriani/biryani is originally a Persian dish, from when my Iranian work colleague at the time brought some in for his lunch and let me try some - definitely a very different flavour from Mauritian biriani, and, I'm sure, probably from sub-continental ones too.

The one that's really taken my fancy, and I will be attempting on a Sunday in the near future (mainly because it's a lot of work and takes a while to cook) is Khoresh-e Fesenjoon - a rich duck or chicken stew. Looks amazing. I've looked at several channels' recipes - the most appealing is Middle Eats, from a guy called Obi, who really breaks it down into detail, and talks about potential variants.

But there's also the excellent Munchies channel, which has the lovely Farideh Sadeghin. The only downside to this video is that she goes on about how horrible it looks, which I don't really agree with, but when someone repeats it that much, it can get into your brain a bit.

• Moderators
On 7/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, Carbomb said:

I've looked at several channels' recipes - the most appealing is Middle Eats, from a guy called Obi, who really breaks it down into detail, and talks about potential variants.

That looks up my alley, cheers.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:11 PM, PowerButchi said:

Fine Cajun Cuisine.

Fucking hell the thumbnail on that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, neil said:

Yeh, that's a superb channel, got a lot of great tips from there.

Think you'll like this one - this guy's dad has been a chef for over fifty years, so he's filming his dad's classic Chinese recipes, with all the tricks and techniques. Like with Middle Eats, the esteemed Mr. Lau is brilliant at breaking things down and explaining why to do or not do things a certain way, and the channel overall just has this lovely feelgood, family factor between the guy, his dad, and the rest of the family, who all get a bit of input.

Made With Lau: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsIF9vk-I_PV1P-ShDFA84A

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, neil said:

Simple channel but quite relaxing, lots of Grandad jokes. He does make me think that he might do a video for a cup of beans, maybe he'll put a sausage in it.

I've watched quite a lot of his videos. Normally when I'm looking for a specific recipe, particularly sweet stuff, either he or Keefcooks will pop up. Both inoffensive but unspectacular. I find them more useful than entertaining if honest.

• Paid Members

The gorgeous Nadia Gilbert does a really good line in Palestinian dishes - she makes a lot of vegetarian or vegan variants to make them more accessible:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 6/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, neil said:

I've been watching Joshua Weissman for a long time and I've made several of his recipies to great success...but fuck me am I getting tired of his morph into a meme character. All the "papa love you", "absolutely unit" of a shite english accent, and singing have made his videos a bore for me and I question whether any of his recipes are any good these days.

Yeah officially done with him now. His channel has fully gone from great technique videos to just meme shit, a recent video I watched which I found myself just doing "because" featured him doing the stupid falsetto singing stuff 4 times. Obviously its working for him, but not what I'm interested in, he's not even making anything interesting these days either just whatever will get the views (fast food remakes etc).

Couple other ramen channels I've been getting into recently:

Ramen Kaonashi https://www.youtube.com/c/RAMENKAONASHI - extremely detailed and time consuming recipes for the most part, but very inspiring and would be tempted to do if I wasn't so lazy

Way of Ramen https://www.youtube.com/c/WayofRamen/ - much more approachable as far as time and complexity as he's a home cook, but he does a good job with using better technique than any other videos on ramen from the "big youtubers".

• 5 months later...