Loved But Unwatchable Movies

ThumpSquids

Years ago, I watched Dancer in the Dark. I’ve watched it once since, in a misguided attempt to impress the wife, back when we were dating. It’s such a tough watch, especially on second viewing when you know how it ends. It’s a film that haunts me still. It’s beautiful, but I can’t bring myself to give it another watch. Anything similar for you? 

• Paid Members

Mysterious Skin for me. I posted about it on here a few months ago. Great film, but fucking hell, it leaves you wrecked. Absolutely harrowing, and I know I won't be able to watch it again.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

For me it's Requiem for a Dream. I don't think any movie has stuck with me quite so much. Utterly compelling and intense and mesmerising on all levels. But I'll never watch it again. I just can't put myself through it.

I find the same with Black Swan and The Wrestler. 

All decent films, but Aronofsky has a tendency towards this - I don't know, I'm not really a film buff - abrasive cinematic style that usually isn't warm, cool, catchy or funny enough to ever bother rewatching, even given the bleak subject matter. I mean I've watched stuff like The Road, Leaving Las Vegas, Pusher etc multiple times. 

• Paid Members

Enter the Void immediately  comes to mind. The out of body point of view makea for a superb experience but when I rewatched it a 2nd time it felt cheesy and a lot of the acting is shit. 

Those things are minor turn offs, what makes it unwatchable is the out of body camera angle gives me motion sickness so it won't be brought out again.

6 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Yup, watched it once and will never watch it all the way through again (as much as I enjoy seeing Ray Winstone twatting folk with pool ball loaded socks!).  The one scene (you know the one) is bad enough, and then knowing what happens after.  Nope, never again.

My parents never cared what I watched really but I remember my Dad going mental at my sister when she let me watch this aged 11ish.

• Paid Members

For some reason I found Eraserhead very uncomfortable to watch to the point where I felt physically unwell. 

In terms of films that greatly disturbed me due to the content and subject matter, I could never again watch The War Zone. Although well made and very well acted, it was just so unbelievably bleak and some of the scenes stuck with me for long time afterwards that i couldn't bring myself to revisit it. 

• Paid Members

I, Daniel Blake and Manchester by the Sea. Really loved both but I've no intention of watching either ever again. 

Anytime I give This is England a rewatch, I have to forward the bit towards the end when Milky and Combo are on the bed talking. Just knowing what happens next has my heart thumping. Cannot watch it.

Edited by Wretch