You Cannot Kill David Arquette

• Awards Moderator

20 years on from Ready To Rumble, David Arquette and wrestling are back in cinemas with a new documentary, about Arquette’s return to the ring a couple of years ago to redeem himself for the WCW run.

It’s due to get a cinema release over here mid-November and then hitting VOD a few days later.

Was anyone here watching WCW when he was around - 20 years on, is it still as bad as everyone said at the time? 

And did anyone catch any of the matches from his return run? I think last WrestleMeMas they covered a match with Nick Gage that sounded terrifying. Did he redeem himself?

• Paid Members

The Nick Gage match should never have happened. Hes a fool for taking it.

He had nothing to redeem in my eyes he won a fake belt in a fake match to get some press for WCW. If people where still taking time out to blast him for it then i would suggest that is their problem.

• Paid Members

It's been discussed in the documentary thread. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and it was very enjoyable.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Was anyone here watching WCW when he was around - 20 years on, is it still as bad as everyone said at the time? 

I still think it was a terrible idea executed appallingly for the benefit of no one. I was probably crying at the time about it killing WCW but looking back, it's clear it didn't really matter.

WCW was always dying from late 1997. Loads of things accelerated their demise but their mentality, lack of patience, lack of new ideas, financial commitments, etc were always going to do for them.

Arquette seems like a good guy. I've never held it against him. Pretty sure even he didn't think it was a good idea. Just Russo having no ability to do anything other than "shock" people.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Did Nick Gage do anything wrong in that match per se ?

Not really, you allow people to hit you with light tubes sometimes it goes wrong. Somewhere in the match Dave got his neck cut, he then freaked out Gage had to more or less shoot pin him.

Edited by quote the raven

Yeah I like him. He seems good natured and everyone involved seems to have bad words about the thought process behind him being champion and the booking rather than him personally. 

Fair play he wanted to get back involved in his childhood dream and going in gung-ho is admirable but getting involved in genuine death matches and such is naivety on a stupid level. 

He probably has some value in name, cult status and likeability but that's it, the appeal should always be "oh look Hollywood actor David Arquette can do a sunset flip" rather than him try to appear as a normal wrestler and fit in. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Arquette seems like a good guy. I've never held it against him. Pretty sure even he didn't think it was a good idea. Just Russo having no ability to do anything other than "shock" people.

That's always the story I here, he knew it was a shit idea and knew the fans would shit on it but got reluctantly talked around to try and help them at least get some column inches when they were circling the drain. 

He even roped Cox in for a promo too didn't he? 

It's always said he donated all the money to the Owen Hart, Pillman and Droz funds too which is a classy move. 

I don't hate the slamboree triple cage match, it's not good by any definition but it's not bad. 

Edited by Tommy!
  • Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

That's always the story I here, he knew it was a shit idea and knew the fans would shit on it but got reluctantly talked around to try and help them at least get some column inches when they were circling the drain. 

It's always said he donated all the money to the Owen Hart, Pillman and Droz funds too which is a classy move. 

I don't hate the slamboree triple cage match, it's not good by any definition but it's not bad. 

Spoiler

That’s confirmed in the film by Pillman Jr

• Paid Members

It’s an entertaining watch.  Last time i’d heard anything from him was when he has his circus club nights and was advertising them on Stern.  Off his tits.  Glad he’s got his addictions under control because from what i’ve heard he is a very decent bloke.

The Nic Gage thing was interesting as he could have pounded the shit out of him, but he just took him down with a basic judo move and pinned him.  Surprisingly professional.

8 hours ago, Tommy! said:

As quite a few people on here do, I have an odd fascination with 2000 WCW from the Russo reset until the end. The Slamboree match as you say wasn't that bad and is actually a fairly entertaining gimmick match. One thought for me on why it gets shitcanned as an angle is that it was so far removed from what many WCW fans took to be WCW's style of booking especially in it's good years. However there's plenty of worse dross throughout the companies history that really makes the Arquette title win no surprise. As someone who was only just getting into wrestling in 2000 it surprises me still to this day how much shit WCW get for that title win but Vince pinning the newly crowned WWF champ in Triple H was fairly glossed over. I guess thats partly due to Vince being in the business but also how a hot streak can mask a streak of piss while WCW had the stench all over it from a mix of a boring 1999 and the mental title changes that occurred from Autumn 1999 up to this point.  

11 minutes ago, simonworden said:

As quite a few people on here do, I have an odd fascination with 2000 WCW from the Russo reset until the end. The Slamboree match as you say wasn't that bad and is actually a fairly entertaining gimmick match. One thought for me on why it gets shitcanned as an angle is that it was so far removed from what many WCW fans took to be WCW's style of booking especially in it's good years. However there's plenty of worse dross throughout the companies history that really makes the Arquette title win no surprise. As someone who was only just getting into wrestling in 2000 it surprises me still to this day how much shit WCW get for that title win but Vince pinning the newly crowned WWF champ in Triple H was fairly glossed over. I guess thats partly due to Vince being in the business but also how a hot streak can mask a streak of piss while WCW had the stench all over it from a mix of a boring 1999 and the mental title changes that occurred from Autumn 1999 up to this point.  

Triple H twatted Vince for what seemed like an hour then Austin turned up and cost him the match, it didn't exactly weaken Triple H or the title 

WCW had its announcers act like it was a great moment then had vignettes with Kurt Russell laughing at Arquette for being World champion 

I was watching at the time and never understood why they didn't just put the US title on him, they still would've got Kurt Russell and Courtney Cox in pretty much the same segments and the same publicity but not completely killed off their already massively damaged World title 

Arquette had nothing to redeem for me. The fact he gave all the money from that run to the families of those mentioned before always meant I held him in high regard. He knew it was shit. And really, he was a better WCW champion than Jeff Jarrett.

To be honest, was it worse than K FED pinning Cena?