You Cannot Kill David Arquette

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, simonworden said:

As quite a few people on here do, I have an odd fascination with 2000 WCW from the Russo reset until the end. The Slamboree match as you say wasn't that bad and is actually a fairly entertaining gimmick match. One thought for me on why it gets shitcanned as an angle is that it was so far removed from what many WCW fans took to be WCW's style of booking especially in it's good years. However there's plenty of worse dross throughout the companies history that really makes the Arquette title win no surprise. As someone who was only just getting into wrestling in 2000 it surprises me still to this day how much shit WCW get for that title win but Vince pinning the newly crowned WWF champ in Triple H was fairly glossed over. I guess thats partly due to Vince being in the business but also how a hot streak can mask a streak of piss while WCW had the stench all over it from a mix of a boring 1999 and the mental title changes that occurred from Autumn 1999 up to this point.  

I'd say it's as simple as the storylines.

Vince winning the title was a big surprise but it made sense, added heat to HHH's feud with Austin and, because it was portrayed as a total fluke, it didn't hurt anyone at all. The story on screen wasn't so much "Vince McMahon won the title!!" as "Triple H LOST the title to Vince McMahon!", which is evidenced by the fact that Vince immediately vacated it. If anything, I'd argue that it actually helped establish HHH as a legitimate top guy. He was the focal point of the story.

Arquette's win, on the other hand, was a total mess. They'd JUST had DDP win the title after months of chasing it and he immediately loses it to his mate, in a tag match, without being pinned.....and he's fucking happy about it? The follow up was nonsense as well. Arquette's character changed between ripping off Mikey Whipwreck - the terrified underdog who won the title in a fluke and just wanted to hand it back - and Crash Holly - a delusional guy who doesn't realise that he's in over his head. He'd do that several times in a single episode of Nitro!

And, of course, the pay off was utter shite as well. "It was a set up all along!" So Arquette was merely pretending to be DDP's mate and was really allied with Jarrett the whole time. So not only was DDP happy about losing the title to Arquette, Jarrett helped plan for it to happen. So that was three consecutive Champions who didn't give two fucks about the World Title.

I do like Arquette though. He worked his arse off for them, and took some pretty impressive bumps if I remember right, He's completely blameless for any of it.

3 hours ago, Pogue said:

I was watching at the time and never understood why they didn't just put the US title on him, they still would've got Kurt Russell and Courtney Cox in pretty much the same segments and the same publicity but not completely killed off their already massively damaged World title 

Because Scott Steiner was U.S Champion.

https://www.wwe.com/videos/courtney-cox-kurt-russell-comment-on-david-arquette-as-wcw-champion

13 hours ago, Tommy! said:

That's always the story I here, he knew it was a shit idea and knew the fans would shit on it but got reluctantly talked around to try and help them at least get some column inches when they were circling the drain. 

He even roped Cox in for a promo too didn't he? 

It's always said he donated all the money to the Owen Hart, Pillman and Droz funds too which is a classy move. 

I don't hate the slamboree triple cage match, it's not good by any definition but it's not bad. 

Cox and Kurt Russell. Kurts response sums it up

Edited by Sheffbag

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

I'd say it's as simple as the storylines.

Vince winning the title was a big surprise but it made sense, added heat to HHH's feud with Austin and, because it was portrayed as a total fluke, it didn't hurt anyone at all. The story on screen wasn't so much "Vince McMahon won the title!!" as "Triple H LOST the title to Vince McMahon!", which is evidenced by the fact that Vince immediately vacated it. If anything, I'd argue that it actually helped establish HHH as a legitimate top guy. He was the focal point of the story.

Arquette's win, on the other hand, was a total mess. They'd JUST had DDP win the title after months of chasing it and he immediately loses it to his mate, in a tag match, without being pinned.....and he's fucking happy about it? The follow up was nonsense as well. Arquette's character changed between ripping off Mikey Whipwreck - the terrified underdog who won the title in a fluke and just wanted to hand it back - and Crash Holly - a delusional guy who doesn't realise that he's in over his head. He'd do that several times in a single episode of Nitro!

And, of course, the pay off was utter shite as well. "It was a set up all along!" So Arquette was merely pretending to be DDP's mate and was really allied with Jarrett the whole time. So not only was DDP happy about losing the title to Arquette, Jarrett helped plan for it to happen. So that was three consecutive Champions who didn't give two fucks about the World Title.

I do like Arquette though. He worked his arse off for them, and took some pretty impressive bumps if I remember right, He's completely blameless for any of it.

Because Scott Steiner was U.S Champion.

Yeah in hindsight my previous post was pretty selective, I was more trying to highlight the non-wrestler wins the big title element without analyzing it further. Although I think DDP chasing the title to losing it was only a few weeks actually, there would have only been 3 Nitros and 3 Thunders between the two PPV's looking at the dates which makes the whole thing seem even more insane. 

As for the payoff it was also the second of three PPVs where someone turned on DDP sandwiched between his wife and Kanyon.

I absolutely hated ready to rumble, and anything associated with it. 

Quite how Wcw took the greatest assembled roster of all time and still managed to top itself is beyond me. 

I know we can blame aol/time Warner merger, however looking back some of that shit is so irredeemable and unwatchable that u just know its the result of drug supported creativity. 

Looking back its another key moment warrior was involved in. Going maverick and cunting up prime time live TV did wcw no favours did it!

15 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Ready To Rumble is brilliant. It's awful, obviously, but it knows it is. The script is appalling. The characters have the depth of a puddle. The casting is baffling. But it adds up to the guiltiest of pleasures. 

Really ?

I watched it like 19-20 years ago and just remember shaking my head at how shite it was .

I love a “good” bad movie , has it reached that status of being so bad that it’s good ?

• Paid Members

the documentary is worth a watch, its an entertaining 90mins and Arquette comes off well. 

It does baffle me that so many fans have a hatred towards him cause he was written into a show to win a fake title. Never quite understood how fans take it all so seriously.

8 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

the documentary is worth a watch, its an entertaining 90mins and Arquette comes off well. 

It does baffle me that so many fans have a hatred towards him cause he was written into a show to win a fake title. Never quite understood how fans take it all so seriously.

I think its because we all like to suspend disbelief and something like this utterly breaks the wrestling 'bubble'

By default the 'champion' is this 'super hero/villain' who exists in their own world. 

When something from another world enters it, it kind of breaks the 4th wall and feels wrong. 

It's akin to Arnie showing up as the actual terminator and winning the title. It would feel rediculous. Same as if an actor does it. 

It didn't feel great when wwf tried it with Zeus and the whole "no holds barred", debacle and jeez Zeus was a Huge roid monster who looked the part. 

• Paid Members
On 10/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I think its because we all like to suspend disbelief and something like this utterly breaks the wrestling 'bubble'

By default the 'champion' is this 'super hero/villain' who exists in their own world. 

When something from another world enters it, it kind of breaks the 4th wall and feels wrong. 

It's akin to Arnie showing up as the actual terminator and winning the title. It would feel rediculous. Same as if an actor does it. 

It didn't feel great when wwf tried it with Zeus and the whole "no holds barred", debacle and jeez Zeus was a Huge roid monster who looked the part. 

Don't forget they had Robocop show up. It's been largely written off as wrestlecrap, but I don't remember reading about anyone getting death threats or direct hatred for it.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, TomJones233 said:

I find him to be an insufferable prick at times. And his "I have friends money, Bitch!" line. You can thank your hard working more talented ex wife, for that one, Dave.

I think that was tongue in cheek. Hes worth about $25m or so I highly doubt thats his % of brief cameo's in Friends or money from Courtney Cox.