Tyson vs Jones Jr

Kaz Hayashi

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Couldnt really tell you, but all youtubers who appeal to teenagers/kids are loud and obnoxious. They are very easy to hate on.

The Paul's in boxing is easy to shit on too, but they genuinely seem to be taking it seriously so ive got time for it.

I'm not sure how seriously Jake Paul is taking it. He hasn't actually fought a boxer yet. His record is KSI's brother, another random youtuber and an ex basketball player.

He should fight Mike Tyson. That would be funny.

14 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I'm not sure how seriously Jake Paul is taking it. He hasn't actually fought a boxer yet. His record is KSI's brother, another random youtuber and an ex basketball player.

He should fight Mike Tyson. That would be funny.

Get him on the Zuffa boxing nonsense. Put him in with McG, they both have comparable boxing records.

I've said previously about boxing that I've had unfortunate exposure to the sport. Tuned in for big fights- usually a Floyd Mayweather fight, or here in Australia, an Anthony Mundine fight- and it's honestly been boring, especially compared to the excitement of MMA. This card though... by far the most entertaining boxing card I've ever watched.

Tuned in halfway through Ortiz vs. Segawa, and that seemed to be the most technical and competitive battle of the night. Still plenty of aggression, but good defensive work before Ortiz got that late finish. Badou Jack vs. Blake McKernan was an outright slaughter, and the commentators didn't bother pretending it was anything but, but it was still compelling to see McKernan hanging in there still giving it a shot.

Jake Paul, YouTube douchiness aside, seems to be a competent boxer. Hard to gauge given how hopeless Nate Robinson was though. I actually thought they'd be far more closely matched. On one hand, a YouTuber who has had one boxing match. On the other, a pro NBA player making his debut. Given that Robinson was a "real" athlete, I expected a bit more, but he looked like he had never trained a day in his life. Great KO though.

And of course, the reason we all tuned in. Tyson looked as sharp as a 54 year old possibly could. The power in those body shots was terrifying. Roy Jones Jr looked exhausted 4 mins in, and basically all he seemed to do was clinch. That's the kind of tactics that put me off boxing in previous attempts... I understand how clinching may come into play in the sport, but damn, it resembled a wrestling match at times. Scoring it as a draw was asinine, but with all the pre-fight restrictions, only to turn around late and say that there would be "unofficial scoring"... maybe they weren't allowed to announce a winner.

Commentary was gold. Mauro was actually the weak link despite his combat sports broadcasting experience. Izzy was really good and insightful, and Snoop was a riot.

I definitely echo the statements above to a certain extent, I woke up pretty early on Sunday morning and text my best friend who was actually still up so chatting to him about it really lifted my spirits and made me laugh which in turn made me enjoy it way more than i would have just sat watching it alone. I only watched 2 fights which was the Jake Paul fight which was the weirdest boxing fight i've ever watched and will probably ever watch. There was no skill involved whatsoever it was just a case of throw punches in the hope they land......That knock out of Robinson was brutal i think he's still waking up now not knowing what his name or star sign is. 

Then the main event happened and i wasn't expecting much at all but holy shit did mike Tyson suprise me in a huge way, He came out super aggressive, super fast and really pushing the action for the entire fight. I'll be honest i've never heard of Roy jones jr but i did hear his history and accolades so i expected it to be the same from his side but no, Pretty much from the opening bell he looked lost and really shocked by tyson's power and energy. I actually really ended up enjoying the entire fight and i am still shocked there wasn't a clear finish for tyson not even a knock down so Jones Jr is tough and can take a punch that is for sure. 

The decision however was rediculous it wasn't a draw in anyone's eyes. I gave Tyson every single round but even if you argue to me the fact that you gave Jones Jr a couple of the rounds the end result is still the same Tyson get's the majority meaning he is still the winner. All in all i am in no hurry to see this fight be rolled back and done again HOWEVER i am absolutely interested in seeing Mike get back in there again considering how fucking good he really looked 

Having watched it a few times, and in no way is this me saying I want to actually see it happen, but in a "real" boxing match Tyson could probably still trouble some borderline top ten guys today.

That's how good he still looked. In fact, I'd pick Tyson of today to beat the Tyson who lost to McBride.

And so it begins. George Foreman among the first to start talking about Tyson coming back. 

I seriously doubt any legitimate commission would ever licence him to fight a prime heavyweight fighter, would they? I mean, sure, he looked good. But that was against a blown up 51 year old Roy Jones Jnr. Big difference from a fight against any fighter in the top five or so.

“If he gets in shape like he’s in now, and then gets his timing back, and all the other things fall into place, he can have an opportunity to fight for the title,” Foreman, the Hall of Famer, told USA TODAY Sports on Sunday. “If he can be managed right, a champion, the right champion, will come to him. And if the right one comes, he can knock him out.”

Any heavyweight with a half decent pair of legs would make Tyson look stupid. He fought an 8 round exhibition with a 50 year old middleweight, 20 years past his best who hugged him for 80% of the fight. Hughie Fury would knacker Tyson out after 3 or 4 rounds and probably have the corner pull him out.

Tyson in his prime was in the right place at the right time. He had the x-factor though, was box office and looked and acted the part. He was phenomenal.  

But he fought a load of over the hill boxers and crack addicts. He cleared out the weakest division in Heavyweight boxing history then when was eventually met with decent challenges he lost. 

Never before has so many excuses been made for one fighter.  

If you listen to the story behind the Larry Holmes fight, it’s classic Don King.  

I'm not sure it's quite as clear-cut as Tyson only beating over the hill boxers and crack addicts. You need to bear in mind that he eventually succumbed to a lot of personal issues himself, and he wasn't the fluffy, wise older dude he is today. 

Early Tyson when he had the right people looking out for him was a phenomenal fighter, and would have stood tall in any era I believe. It's just a shame that his prime didn't last as long as it could have due to his issues and time in prison.

He was a massive prick, and was convicted of rape. Something that the media and his friends such as Dana White all brush under the carpet. It's probably the only reason I'll always watch him and I do wish him well as he's a troubled guy, but I'd never wear any merchandise bearing his name.

But yeah, he's not competitive today. And neither should he be. He's older, and age catches up with everyone. 

• Paid Members

Considering this PPV did north of 1.2M buys, you know the scum in boxing will be working overtime to get Tyson a proper bout. Whether or not Tyson will go for it, who knows, but he'll be getting mad money thrown at him for another one.

Business-wise it makes sense, but competitively it's dangerous for Tyson stepping in there with any proper heavyweight contenders.

Edited by ColinBollocks

If Tyson can make the money he is making in exhibition fights, it needs to stay that way. The problem with this is people start getting ideas about putting him in there with the best in current heavyweight division. He would get messed up by all of them and if it was Wilder or Joshua across the ring from him, we going to a whole other level of what may end up happening to Tyson health wise.

9 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

60 year old Buster Douglas has called him out.

See if these guys can get clearance from the commission, i'm happy to see them put on a show and make some money. So long as they are matched appropriately and the commissions issuing the licenses are fairly reputable I don't see any harm in it.