Tyson vs Jones Jr

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I’ve looked through the past few pages and couldn’t find a dedicated thread. Apologies if I’ve missed one. 

There we’re several very interesting points mentioned during Tyson’s latest Joe Rogan pod appearance. 

As I’m sure everyone will know, Mike has been touted for an in ring return for the best part of the year. Rumours started with a match against Bob Sapp, then Tyson Fury and several interesting names later the world settled on Roy Jones Jr. So here we are.

6399077E-2C4A-4125-9137-016578C71B08.thumb.jpeg.32ea847c3f5136d05c79fee3be6b8a03.jpeg

What we know:
- Fight pencilled for November 28th.     
- £30 mil payday for Mike which he’s giving to charity.     
- 8 rounds fight.
- Mike has ditched Vegan food and is back on red meat.   
- He has stopped smoking weed and stated his anger levels are highly heightened at the moment.   
- It’s clear he’s training for a proper knock out war, not a friendly exhibition match.   
- This is somewhat linked to a project he’s part of, some kind of legends sports league in which all time greats of a sport go up against other legends from the sport in exhibition matches, but it wasn’t possible in ‘the real world’.  
- He looks ferocious in his training videos since training again, but admitted that he needed to sleep for a week after his first session back.

He looks super healthy, it must be said. This shot is from this past week.

B8E70755-8049-4656-B107-B94B4FFD096D.thumb.jpeg.cf020b5e01ea0ccd307f28bf7119a2e2.jpeg

I’ve heard a couple of rumours saying that Jones Jr is being a bit flakey and there’s concerns he might drop out. So if that was to happen, what should happen? Should they shoehorn in another opponent for Nov 28th (if so, who?) or should they delay to allow for training?

• Paid Members

I thought this was off? Could swear I read the other week that Roy had dropped out. Is it back on now? Can’t keep up with this shit. Nor have I tried to in all honesty.

Edit - and if they need to bring in another opponent then Holyfield is the obvious choice. Failing that, David Tua if he’s still around. Failing that, Andrew Golota if he’s still a psycho. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I thought this was off? Could swear I read the other week that Roy had dropped out. Is it back on now? Can’t keep up with this shit. Nor have I tried to in all honesty.

Edit - and if they need to bring in another opponent then Holyfield is the obvious choice. Failing that, David Tua if he’s still around. Failing that, Andrew Golota if he’s still a psycho. 

I think it was off, but back on and the dates have already changed at least once. It currently seems as though it will go ahead with a live crowd, but only friends/family/entourage allowed in attendance.

I’m interested in it, but I fully appreciate it’s the same level of interest I had in the first ECW reunion event and it’s purely out of nostalgia/curiosity, and if Tyson wasn’t one of the two contestants, I wouldn’t care at all. 
‘If’ Tyson absolutely destroys Jones and demonstrates to somehow have the ability to make an actual come back for real title contention (hmmmm), then yeah, I’d be all in. The reality is that simply won’t happen, it’ll be a fun exhibition at best and the purse is going to charity. Still though, it’ll be fun to watch with my dad and a couple of the lads from my boxing club. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Exactly @David People have had ample opportunity to watch Roy Jones fight way past his prime over the last decade. As great as he once was, I don’t think it matters a jot if he drops out completely. They could stick Butterbean in and do just as well. Actually, I think I’d rather see that.