Tyson vs Jones Jr

Kaz Hayashi

The question I would ask is what people are actually expecting to see here? The views I've seen online range from a complete farce to a competitive fight with Tyson going on to face Joshua at Wembley in the summer if he wins.

It's a novelty event. I rank it alongside those football matches that feature some form of world XI going up against another world XI from a different era. 

You're paying your entry fee to see the legends of yesteryear put on a bit of a show, maybe see a little flash of what they offered in their prime, but you know that they're obviously nowhere near what they once were. It's not going to be a competitive football match.

Surely to fuck people understand that? And by people I don't mean the knowledgable types on this forum. 

Why would anyone want to see a 50-odd year old guy get smashed up? Or get hurt? I'm personally hoping for a semi-competitive sparring session where Jones does some of his signature punch-slipping moves, and Mike rolls the old shoulders and maybe gets a few combos in.

I'm looking forward to the weigh-in tonight, the entrances tomorrow, seeing Mike in those black trunks and boots, and in a better place in his life.

God knows with the year we've all had a little bit of fun wouldn't go amiss.

• Paid Members

I wonder if this ridiculous talk of him being competitive again is partly down to George Foreman's comeback back in the early 90s? Completely different circumstances, but you know how stupid people get. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I genuinely think some people heard he was fighting again, looked at some highlights on YouTube (of him in his PRIME) and have convinced themselves we’re getting that guy tomorrow night. Like David, I’m just taking it for what it is. I’m not expecting that much from bell to bell. But it’ll be kind of cool just to see the entrance and face-off and all that. It’s basically Boxing’s version of WWE’s mental weird nostalgia matches on their Saudi shows.

Tyson needs to bust out this entrance music again though. Think he only used it this once for the Michael Spinks fight.

5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I wonder if this ridiculous talk of him being competitive again is partly down to George Foreman's comeback back in the early 90s? Completely different circumstances, but you know how stupid people get. 

I think it's down to how he looks. He's inadvertently created a "thpinal" rod for his own back by getting into such great shape. 

How many photos have we seen comparing him then and now? Some morons believe that because he's in good physical shape that all of a sudden his 54 year old skull is capable of being hit by a prime heavyweight athlete. It's insane.

I just hope that if he does come in and look good against Jones in this sparring match that he doesn't let the leeches back into his existence, whispering in his ear about doing more of these. And I'm looking squarely at Dana White and Zuffa Boxing here.

Get in there, have some fun, get a little bit of closure on a career that dwindled to an end when he was fucked up mentally. Nothing more.

I don't think today's casual boxing fans have much - if any - knowledge of Foreman's comeback in the 90s. From what I have read, uninformed boxing fans fall into two camps on Tyson. Namely:

1) "Even now, he would be able to beat Fury, Joshua, etc" - These fans may have watched a few of his fights on Youtube. They are probably unaware of Tyson's losses to McBride and Williams in the mid-2000s. 

2) "He was never that good to begin with" - These fans are just parroting what some dweeb on Twitter or Reddit has posted. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Im very much up for watching, i do think any kind of excitement i could generate is being hampered by the silliness spouted by fans in the build up. In usually down for any freak show element combat sports event, ill watch crap MMA all day, this for whatever reason feels abit different.

Anyway, if they are allowed to to go out and be competitive how do you actually see it going? everyones high on Tyson cause of a few 10 second clips online but surely Roy Jones should be able to box rings around Tyson at this stage, especially if Tyson empties the jug early. Jones was fighting pretty regular until 2 years ago.

• Paid Members

Yeah I’m favouring Jones myself but fuck knows what we’re getting here between Tyson’s layoff, him being in a different place completely to when we last saw him in a ring and then the added confusion of these convoluted rules. It’s not a serious high level fight obviously but there’s enough intrigue there with everything combined that you’ve almost got to give it a look. 

Heads-up that the weigh-ins are live on BT Sports at 10pm this evening.

I think Jones probably takes it, but I so want Tyson to get it. He's clearly bothered by how he left the sport and to see him go out on a stoppage or something where the ref steps in would be a fitting end to a career for him.

• Paid Members

I mean, I don’t particularly want to see it, I can live without it. But Jones and Silva have been on about wanting to do this fight since about 2009/10ish, haven’t they? It’d be cool for Anderson to get that checked off his bucket list before he fully retires and I can actually see it happening. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

So who's actually paying for this? Am I the only nostalgic sucker stupid enough to part with 20 quid?

I'm not going to watch it, never mind pay for it. Though I'll read the results tomorrow. Probably hoping that both men get completely winded, not to the point they can't get to the end of the fight, but that they can't land a meaningful blow on each other. Then they mutually agree at the finish that it was a bad idea and doddle back into retirement. 

Edited by WeeAl