Tyson vs Jones Jr

Kaz Hayashi

Yeah, but my point is that I don't think the knockout thing was ever mentioned. The judges, the shorter rounds, yes. But how can they enforce a rule of no knockouts? By default any punch could theoretically knock an opponent out.

What happens then? Disqualification for the fighter who threw the punch?

• Paid Members

The commision put out a clear set of rules before Saturday and i think thats where it stemmed from. The small print has said so from the very start though i believe, any confusion has been because of Jones and Tyson themselves saying they will be trying to knock each other out. 

As for what happens if there is a KO, its silly but if it got out of hand in there was a KO it would simply be a case of just waving the thing off and calling it a night 😄 They've also said that if there's a cut it will just immediatly be waved off.

The knockout thing can't be enforced, but I'd fully expect them to call the fight if someone went down in a bad way. 

What I find astounding is the amount of fans crying that it won't be a "real fight."

Surely that's a given? Tyson is 54 years old and hasn't fought professionally in over 15 years. And while Jones fought as recently as 2018, he's still 51 years old. What do fans want from these guys? 

It's a fun little novelty event. Two ring legends getting themselves back into terrific shape, and putting on a show. My advice is to enjoy it for what it is, or don't bother watching. No doubt there'll be shitloads of complaints on Sunday about how it was a waste of money. Absolutely mental. I know exactly what I'm buying.

• Paid Members

Im looking forward to the reaction as much as i am the fight. People are weird, especially in fight sports, people think this is close to a prime Tyson making a comeback. Its the same people who genuinely believed Mayweather had never seen anything like Conor's lethal left hand and that it was a 50/50 fight going in.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

How the fuck can the even attempt to enforce that? Disqualify whoever knocks the other guy out? 

They couldn’t even do that because then they’d have to announce a winner, even if it is by DQ.

You’re right it’s bollocks. There’s no way to eliminate knockouts in a fucking boxing match, exhibition or not. Even Rafael Cordeiro pretty much confirmed in an interview the other day that Tyson has been sparring and training with full intentions of knocking Jones out, and it’ll be vice versa on the Jones side of course.

How do you tell Mike Tyson in particular to glove up and get in a ring but not go for the knockout? It’s what he was all about, even at the end when he was finished he’d just go for the early KO or lose trying. You’d have about as much chance of getting him to pull his punches as you would if you had him guest host a beauty pageant and told him to not force himself on one of the contestants. 

42 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

How about if they start going for it and the commission pulls the plus on the whole thing?😄 thats worst case scenario surely. 

I'm totally expecting a piss take of a finish for this mess. Be it ridiculous ref stoppage or the return of fan man, there will be some kind of crazy BS finish. It will be the cherry on top of the whole shitshow.

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

How about if they start going for it and the commission pulls the plus on the whole thing?😄 thats worst case scenario surely. 

That's not going to happen. it's still a boxing match, even if it is an exhibition. What the official will be is ultra cautious of anyone getting hurt, and rightfully so. No one wants to see that.

• Paid Members

Yeh but the promoters and the fighters seem to be saying the opposite to what the fighters are. Having said that, it could be a case of the commission covering their backs in case something bad happens, just a weird situation.

Overall I may be thinking from the standpoint that i expect this to be terrible so anything other may be a bit of pleasant surprise.