A thread in which for Arsenal and Spurs fans to have sexual tension and poor banter 20/21.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

'Mr West Ham' Mark Noble has announced via an open letter to the club that next season will be his last and he will then retire. 

I'd imagine he will get quite the fanfare from his club, where he is considered a legend. 

Question: has there even been a player as mediocre held in such high regard by their club than Mark Noble? Serious suggests please, so not that defender from Everton.

• Awards Moderator

Not a defender from Everton, but a forward. Duncan Ferguson. The legendary status he’s garnered at that club is absolutely mental.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a really great bloke (different story for another time) but the revisionism surrounding him locally is crackers.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

'Mr West Ham' Mark Noble has announced via an open letter to the club that next season will be his last and he will then retire. 

I'd imagine he will get quite the fanfare from his club, where he is considered a legend. 

Question: has there even been a player as mediocre held in such high regard by their club than Mark Noble? Serious suggests please, so not that defender from Everton.

What’s this got to do with either of your high regarded, yet mediocre clubs?

Noble has been glue that held that club together during relegation, promotion and even overachieving seasons. He’s legs are just about gone, and rightfully not starting games anymore, but he still puts in a shift. A local lad, goes through their academy and plays his whole career at the club he supported as a boy. I suppose it’s like a reverse Harry Kane

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

59 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I give you: The Ginger Pele.

spacer.png

I cannot believe Mark Noble is still going. Fair play. I remember him crying his eyes out at the end of the 3-4, the year they "stayed up". 

This was priceless as well. spacer.pngWhat was he thinking?

@Frankie Crisp That's interesting. I always thought he was idolised around there?

@PunkStep Just thought of an actual answer. Kevin Davies at Bolton. Or Kevin Nolan actually. All the Kevin's.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Noble has been glue that held that club together during relegation, promotion and even overachieving seasons.

How so? By rallying them together? He's the definition of an average pro footballer. In a time where Jonjo Shelvey picked up 6 caps, he couldn't get a single call-up. There's some right old shite that have played in midfield for England over the past 15 years. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

That's interesting. I always thought he was idolised around there?

I think he means he's idolised despite being bang average. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Must've misread due to the tears in my eyes caused by Brave Nobes retirement. 

I'd say Big Dunc was better than 'bang average' though.

Some background for you.

Noble has played more Premier league games for West Ham than any other player, in addition to being the longest serving player in their current squad, having been in the first team since 2004. He is West Ham's first-choice taker for penalty kicks and has won the club's Hammer of the Year trophy twice, as well as being voted Hammer of the Decade at the end of the 2010s.

In 2020 he was rated as the player with the second highest conversion rate for penalty kicks in the world over the last 20 years. His 90.5% conversion rate was only beaten by Robert Lewandowski’s rate of 91.1%. He’s also had a testimonial, becoming more rare in modern football. 

Problem is, unless you watch every West Ham game, you have no real concept of him. Looking purely at stats gives an indication but not the full picture. It’s why I wouldn’t make such comments about the majority of Spurs or Arsenal players, I don’t watch enough. As they score so often, and so see them during highlights, I can say Son and Kane are decent players, but wouldn’t have much more I could say about the rest of the team. Hence I find these posts odd. Stick to the thread