The All New Post a pic of yersen.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Bilbao! Lovely place. Gets a bit wet.

Sorry, had to put that in out of context.

Can't remember who it was on here, but they said San Sebastian in the Basque Country is a gorgeous place to visit too.

• Moderators

I remember going to San Sebastian as a kid. The exciting draw for me was that point where you can swim the channel  between two beaches to cross the border between France and Spain.

As an adult with Google maps and a better basic grasp of geography, there is less mystique when you could just go one km inland and achieve the same by walking across a bridge.

• Paid Members

I've travelled across Spain relatively extensively but the North has yet eluded me. I'm more familiar with Andalusia, Extremadura and the central regions; areas which contain some of my very favourite cities in the world.

Continuing the UKFFers on the continent theme, here's me at closing time at the Bosa Beer Festival in Sardinia 

278901977_1415327155569319_4977524742670

And a marginally more civilised shot taking in the atmosphere of one of my local city's piazzas 

284084439_1443137946121573_6849476451056

That said, I might live in Italy now but I think I'll always prefer Spain. I do miss life there sometimes. 

I'm not mega familar with much outside of Catalonia tbf. We were on holiday in Zaragoza (very nice, halfway between Barca and Madrid) and saw we could get a cheap return to Bilbao and went for it. Would love to go back, and might take advantage of the free train thing the govt are bringing in later this year.

Also top username shout out to the greatest charity single of the 80s.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I've travelled across Spain relatively extensively but the North has yet eluded me. I'm more familiar with Andalusia, Extremadura and the central regions; areas which contain some of my very favourite cities in the world.

I've never been to the north either - been to Granada, Cordoba, the Alpujarra mountains, Sierra Nevada, etc. Absolutely gorgeous part of the world, but I really would like to visit Barcelona, Bilbao, and San Sebastian; that said, it seems like you could throw a dart at a map of Spain and land on somewhere worth visiting: Seville, Valencia, Salamanca, Toledo, Pamplona, Zaragoza, Vigo, and these are just off the top of my head. So much history and such a rich culture.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Indeed! I moved to Cáceres to start a new job in February 2020 which was the worst possible timing as it was just before the strict Covid lockdown but that was a staggeringly beautiful little city which often goes under the radar a little bit. I'd recommend a visit next time you're over there. My favourite city in Spain has to be Cádiz though. I adore that place, it has such a unique vibe I can't really put into words. Either that or Sevilla - I could honestly spend months wandering the streets of Sevilla. Seems like there are inviting places for a tapa and a caña on every corner. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Indeed! I moved to Cáceres to start a new job in February 2020 which was the worst possible timing as it was just before the strict Covid lockdown but that was a staggeringly beautiful little city which often goes under the radar a little bit. I'd recommend a visit next time you're over there. My favourite city in Spain has to be Cádiz though. I adore that place, it has such a unique vibe I can't really put into words. Either that or Sevilla - I could honestly spend months wandering the streets of Sevilla. Seems like there are inviting places for a tapa and a caña on every corner. 

Thanks for that, I'll add it to the list of places to visit. At some point, I'm just going to save up and do a tour, I think.

One of my favourite bits of trivia is that Cádiz is literally the entrance to Hell - it was where the Greeks geographically believed it to be, and the name comes from that: Hades -> Gades (I think the Romans and Carthaginians called it that) -> Cádiz

• 2 weeks later...