The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Is Rock/Roman “rumoured” for next years Mania then? Like it has been for the past 5 I think

Reigns using the Rock Bottom here and there (including at the MSG beatdown on Brock) certainly seems like a  deliberate tease that they may be setting that up shortly. It could just as easily be bollocks though. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Reigns using the Rock Bottom here and there (including at the MSG beatdown on Brock) certainly seems like a  deliberate tease that they may be setting that up shortly. It could just as easily be bollocks though. 

This is the sort of thing that comes up every few years - when Kurt Angle started doing the Anklelock, it led to a spate of playground rumours that it was leading to Ken Shamrock coming back, and there was a tag team that did the 3D one time that had people saying it was leading into a feud with a returning Dudley Boyz. Does this sort of thing ever actually amount to anything? It's not the sort of teasing or storytelling that I can recall WWE ever doing, because they don't really do teasing, so much as clobbering you over the head with everything.

That said, they've obviously been trying to put Rock/Reigns together since he started doing the "head of the table" gimmick, and LA seems as good a time to do it as any. That they didn't even get The Rock to do a video package for a Rock tribute show doesn't make it seem like they're on particularly great terms at the moment, though.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This is the sort of thing that comes up every few years - when Kurt Angle started doing the Anklelock, it led to a spate of playground rumours that it was leading to Ken Shamrock coming back, and there was a tag team that did the 3D one time that had people saying it was leading into a feud with a returning Dudley Boyz. Does this sort of thing ever actually amount to anything? It's not the sort of teasing or storytelling that I can recall WWE ever doing, because they don't really do teasing, so much as clobbering you over the head with everything.

That said, they've obviously been trying to put Rock/Reigns together since he started doing the "head of the table" gimmick, and LA seems as good a time to do it as any. That they didn't even get The Rock to do a video package for a Rock tribute show doesn't make it seem like they're on particularly great terms at the moment, though.

Normally I'd 100% agree with you, WWE doesn't really do subtle and it's usually fans reading something that isn't really there, as well may be the case here. However, Reigns using it in such a deliberate and significant angle within the realm of the build for Mania just struck me as a tad unusual which piqued my interest.  

• Paid Members

Randy Orton is brilliant, isn't he. His timing on those mega RKOs over the years has always been perfect. Just gets better with age and he's even made the Barefoot Cuntessa look tolerable.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Randy Orton is brilliant, isn't he. His timing on those mega RKOs over the years has always been perfect. Just gets better with age and he's even made the Barefoot Cuntessa look tolerable.

I'm pretty sure he's everyone's favourite to wrestle too, because he's smooth as butter and really safe. I recall Bryan mentioning on a Talking Smack years ago that he's the best guy he's ever been in the ring with. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This is the sort of thing that comes up every few years - when Kurt Angle started doing the Anklelock, it led to a spate of playground rumours that it was leading to Ken Shamrock coming back.

This was 100% a rumour in my high school 

*glory days by Bruce Springsteen plays softly*

It's a shame Austin would presumably fold over like a slinky in a proper match because he still clearly looks and sounds like you'd feed him all your top heels for a year. 

• Paid Members

I'm surprised at the reaction. I thought that was fairly nothing from Austin tbh. Not because he's suddenly rubbish at promos, but because it all just feels so uninspired.

Edit: CVDs edit is definitely the best thing about that video 

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Those bastards.... They've got me.

2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It's a shame Austin would presumably fold over like a slinky in a proper match because he still clearly looks and sounds like you'd feed him all your top heels for a year. 

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

Yeah, I hate to say it but they’ve got me sold.

2 hours ago, Wideload90 said:

One promo and I'm looking forward to whatever happens. Shit.

So weird isn’t it, how the product is shit but you can still rely on Steve Austin to be able to “talk them into the building” (metaphorically speaking) and this isn’t even an actual match.

Wrestling doesn’t change, at the heart. It’s about creating characters that people invest in, believe, and want to watch. Watch them win, lose, talk, develop. And “believe” is the key word, because as we’ve all heard a thousand times, the best guys are the guys that are themselves with the volume turned up. You believe in them because they’re authentic. As Johnny Valentine once put it, “I can’t make them believe wrestling’s real, but I can make them believe I’m real.”

Steve Austin is the best example of one of the last of a dying breed, the generation who just went out there and did their thing, sink or swim, before everything started getting overscripted and micro managed. When he said at King of the Ring 96 he was “serving notice to every one of the WWF Superstars” in that snide tone, it told you everything you needed to know about his rebellious attitude and hating the corporate vernacular. I think about the transformation to the modern age, where nobody can talk themselves over because they’re all using the same voice, that of a writers’ room and not their own. How every berk starts their own scripted threat about “This Sunday at the Royal Rumble event” and how they made Bret fucking Hart sound a plank having him repeatedly talk about the “WWE Universe” during his return.

Amazing what happens when you let them work it out for themselves.