VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I feel like Nic Cage is ‘back to form’ every 5th or 6th film he does. That’s at least two back to form performances a year. 

He's on a great run. Has mostly ditched the DTV action films to pay his tax bill, doing really interesting indie stuff like Longlegs. Dream Scenario from last year was excellent.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He's on a great run. Has mostly ditched the DTV action films to pay his tax bill, doing really interesting indie stuff like Longlegs. Dream Scenario from last year was excellent.

I’m never surprised when he turns out a great performance/film but I’m never confident in him continuing that. He’ll always have a couple of duds just around the corner. He’s like early career De Niro and late career De Niro at the same time.

I just got out of Longlegs and I can't tell you how disappointed I am, I was fully engrossed in what could have been my favourite horror in years until... yeah, let's just say it completely lost me.

• Paid Members

Just been to see Sleep (the new Korean film) and it was really good. Starts off quite amusingly and turns and twists through a couple of other genres up to its ending, which I didn't think *quite* landed, but the rest of it was so good that I could forgive it.

Went to see it at HOME in Manchester, first time I've been since 2022 and I've missed that place so much.

• Paid Members

Father of The Bride

It was fine. I'm not quite sure who the film is aimed at as it's, as you would expect from the title, very focused at Dads with Daughters that have grown up. It doesn't lean much into the comedy, slapstick or drama that it teases here and there and instead goes all in on the Dad thing. Odd. Felt pointless as a film.

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

On The Waterfront is on iPlayer at the moment. I’d never seen it before so I put it on this afternoon. I loved it. I expected a classic Brandoish Brando performance but didn’t expect I’d be so drawn into the story and all the supporting cast as well. Definitely give it a watch if you’re like me and have missed out up to now.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
I coulda been a UKFFer

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

The black and white version of Godzilla Minus One should be on Netflix at the start of August.

If I turned the colour down on my TV. Would it be the same experience?

• Paid Members
On 7/12/2024 at 8:35 PM, Merzbow said:

I just got out of Longlegs and I can't tell you how disappointed I am, I was fully engrossed in what could have been my favourite horror in years until... yeah, let's just say it completely lost me.

I 100% understand why you would feel that way, and it'll certainly be divisive but I loved it. I've been thinking about it lots since seeing it on Friday. Cage was...actually I don't want to spoil anything.

It's just the ending that I hated, it was completely at odds with the rest of the film which was this perfectly paced with the absolute greatest sound design and cinematography I've seen in a long while, using literal harsh noise in a such an effective way. I could go on for hours about what I love, but then it goes full Blumhouse...

I will say that Alan Wake fans will get a kick out of the film, I noticed more than a bit of Remedy games influence.

Spoiler

Possessed fucking dolls!

I mean, I loved the first one which felt more like a Twin Peaks doppelganger even with the ball containing the false "soul" etc but yeah... too much explaining spoilt all that too.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2024 at 9:46 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

City of Fear (YouTube)

Largely forgotten suspense thriller about a prison escapee who doesn't know he's carrying a radioactive package. The same director did Murder by Contract, which Scorsese has heavily championed, but this is far, far better and is a really interesting twist on the noir.

Checked this out because of this recommendation and really enjoyed it - it's flawed, but basically works well, and there's genuine tension in it at times. Enjoyed the three main villains and how they were sketched out. Generally a lot of fun.

What with being out of work at the moment, between my Mubi pass and my cheap local, seen a few things over the last week or so.

Kinds of Kindness

Enjoyed this, although didn't know it was close on three hours going in. Three separate stories with the same cast, each nearly an hour long. Jesse Plemmons, Emma Stone and Willem Defoe are all having a ball - it's nasty in places, but very funny in others. Like with Poor Things, it's clear how comfortable Yorgos Lanthimos makes his cast.

MaXXXine

I thought X was fun but not great, and Pearl was okay for me - never felt like either built as interestingly as they could have. And then MaXXXine comes along and delivers everything I was looking for - enough that I've ended up liking the entire trilogy more in hindsight. Great performance and central character with Mia Goth, and I loved where it all went. Great to have a character that's spiky, awkward, but also strong, a survivor and a proud sex worker. Awesome stuff.

In A Violent Nature

Weirdly like watching someone play the Friday the 13th video game - and I mean that as a compliment. As an experiment with the form, I liked it a lot - doesn't entirely work (and has sections that really don't work), but the overall approach was a fun change. And I found the murders funny rather than disturbing. Really won't be for everyone this one, but I enjoyed it.

LongLegs

This one didn't work for me as much.  I liked the atmosphere, the style, and a lot of what was happening with it. But I was uncomfortable with the gender aspects of LongLegs - I don't think it's intentional, but it ended up feeling a bit Buffalo Bill to me. I might be less bothered on another viewing, and it might be that it's one of those 'caught me in the wrong mood' kind of things. But I'll give it another shot in the future.

I watched Now You See Me for the first time last night and I can't remember the last time a film left me so completely flummoxed. It might be the most batshit movie I've ever seen. It's completely insane from start to finish, utterly nonsensical. But it has a really good cast, who seem to be trying, but act every scene as if they've read the pages for the first time five minutes before and know nothing else of what's to come or what came before. They're just giving everything they can in that particular scene. And it looks pretty good. $75m budget? By today's standards, that actually seems pretty cheap for what it achieves visually. But it's so stupid. I spent the whole time just baffled by its non-adherence to sanity and logic; its complete disregard for the bounds of suspension of disbelief. I just... can't decide how I felt about it. I wasn't bored. I guess I kind of enjoyed the experience of being so completely thrown off-kilter. But it's... I don't know. My mind literally can't parse what I saw. What a strange movie experience. I feel like it might be this generation's Plan 9 from Outer Space or something.

Edited by textonly

On 7/15/2024 at 2:40 AM, Chris B said:

MaXXXine

I thought X was fun but not great, and Pearl was okay for me - never felt like either built as interestingly as they could have. And then MaXXXine comes along and delivers everything I was looking for - enough that I've ended up liking the entire trilogy more in hindsight. Great performance and central character with Mia Goth, and I loved where it all went. Great to have a character that's spiky, awkward, but also strong, a survivor and a proud sex worker. Awesome stuff.

Glad to hear this. I watched X last night and will check out Pearl tonight ahead of going to see MaXXXine at the cinema tomorrow. I liked X. Not lifechanging or anything but a decent, low-budget indie horror full of familiar tropes and obvious reference points. 

Also recently watched Little Fauss and Big Halsy, a 1970 odd couple road movie about a pair of feuding motorcycle riders trying to earn a living on the small-time race circuit. It's decent enough and Robert Redford is good in it, but it's not something I'd bother with again or be too upset about if I'd never seen it. A level above similar exploitation fair, but not by much.

As an aside, I watched both on ok.ru - don't tell the police! - and, is it just me, or has loads of stuff recently disappeared from the site? Was searching for a bunch of other films I could have sworn were on there before that are now gone. Leads me to wonder if there's been a big copyright strike against them from particular studios or something. 

12 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

or has loads of stuff recently disappeared from the site?

They possibly got a big DMCA strike or something, I use braflix.ru myself and it seems to have almost everything but it's the most blatant pirate streaming site.