VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But I don’t watch films because he’s in them so I must have avoided these awful performances he's done tbh.

If you've seen him in anything he's ever done, you've seen these awful performances.

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The boards response to Argylle is even one I’m shocked by. It’s twice the film The Beekeeper was you absolute berks. 

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

which is more than can be said about The Beekeeper. Not enough Big Match John, but a pleasant 7/10.

Is The Beekeeper your off-topic CM Punk?

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If you've seen him in anything he's ever done, you've seen these awful performances.

Is The Beekeeper your off-topic CM Punk?

Appears so. I’ve only really remembered him in Moon, JoJo Rabbit, Three Billboards and See How They Run. Sure I’ve seen other films with him in, but they’re the only ones that spring to mind. I thought they were all fine performances.

Actually, come to think of it, I enjoy CM Punk the wrestler, not Phil Brooks the man. The Beekeeper is just a terrible film from a shitty director.

its alright, Mark Kermode is on team Scorch for this one 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Wonka

Really enjoyed this. They got the aesthetics right. It's a feast for the eyes with it's locations and set dressing. I couldn't quite figure out whether it was trying to depict Oxford/Cambridge. Or somewhere in France. Hugh Grant was a lot of fun. As was the guy playing the dastardly Slugworth. There were enough beats of the classic we all know and love. Whilst also allowing plenty of room for this version to tell its own story. The film does drag ever so slightly in the middle, picks up nicely again towards the end. It's a very nice gentle film. I'll definitely be watching it again.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Wonka

Really enjoyed this. They got the aesthetics right. It's a feast for the eyes with it's locations and set dressing. I couldn't quite figure out whether it was trying to depict Oxford/Cambridge. Or somewhere in France. Hugh Grant was a lot of fun. As was the guy playing the dastardly Slugworth. There were enough beats of the classic we all know and love. Whilst also allowing plenty of room for this version to tell its own story. The film does drag ever so slightly in the middle, picks up nicely again towards the end. It's a very nice gentle film. I'll definitely be watching it again.

Have you seen the Paddington movies?

• Paid Members

I don't know what Argylle is so I can only scrape together bits from posts on here. Am I right in thinking it's a spy movie about a cat that turns out to be a cat's dream?

Just now, FLips said:

I don't know what Argylle is so I can only scrape together bits from posts on here. Am I right in thinking it's a spy movie about a cat that turns out to be a cat's dream?

It's sadly not happening in the cats imagination. A lot could be forgiven if it was, to the point that I was convinced it was his dream and could see that once the was to be revealed certain elements might make sense. But alas not. 

I have a generally low bar for what I consider to be a “good” or enjoyable film. That said, Argylle is probably the worst film I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen Battlefield Earth and a couple of Neil Breen efforts. It’s completely irredeemable in every department, just totally wretched beyond belief. @Devon Malcolm you might have to step in, take one for the team and watch this. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I have a generally low bar for what I consider to be a “good” or enjoyable film. That said, Argylle is probably the worst film I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen Battlefield Earth and a couple of Neil Breen efforts. It’s completely irredeemable in every department, just totally wretched beyond belief. @Devon Malcolm you might have to step in, take one for the team and watch this. 

I mean, I obviously will at some point. When it comes on 123Movies though, I'm not paying for it. I bet The Zone of Interest was funnier.

• Paid Members

El Conde

A Chilean black comedy in which Augusto Pinochet is actually a 250 year old vampire, who faked his death, but now just wants to die, while his family bicker over who gets what inheritance. There's a couple of funny moments, and an absurd twist involving the narrator, but mostly it's an idea for a short sketch stretched out to film length. Liked the concept, but glacial pacing doesn't suit a pretty shallow idea, and it didn't work for me.

Barbie

It was fine. It has a few laugh-out-loud moments, and was good fun, but I'm not convinced it deserved the praise it got. It reminded me of Jurassic World (a much worse film, for the record), which had characters making fun of the bad made-up dinosaur name, and cracking jokes about the amount of product placement in the park, but it was doing that in the same film that unironically used that bad name, and relied on all of that product placement. It aims for a kind of detached irony, but actually it's just trying to have your cake and eat it too - you're not showing that your above those things just by drawing attention to them, because this is still a film doing the stuff you're making fun of, and just drawing attention to a cliché isn't the same thing as subverting it. This felt like that concept spread across an entire movie - yes, you've made a film that makes fun of rampant consumerism, sexism, and the part Barbie dolls play in reinforcing negative stereotypes and body image issues, but you've still done it in a movie about Barbie dolls, for Mattel, so what exactly have you achieved?

We've been watching some classic movies that we've never seen, recently.

Blue Steel (1990)

Catherine Bigelow's film before Point Break exploded.  A wonderfully punchy feminist action movie.  Bigelow's direction and style is all there plus Jamie Lee Curtis makes for a great hero, in the mould of Halloween but this time in a violent cop drama.  Considering that female roles in action films were usually crying victims to be rescued, this feels genuinely mould-breaking.

Adventures in Babysitting (1987)

It's a bit Goonies, a bit Home Alone, often awkwardly 80s casually racist, and surprisingly charming in places.  It's helped by a young and extremely perky Elizabeth Shue.  Chris Columbus' directorial debut, and something of a trial run for his later hugely successful movies.

A League Of Their Own (1992)

Typically American mawkish sentimentality aside, this was a good ensemble cast putting on a funny, sometimes poignant story.  A bit like with Bigelow, it's fun to see the female gaze take on a usually very macho genre (sports movies).  Probably Penny Marshall's best film, depending on how you feel about Awakenings.

Amazon Prime is good for old movies, I posted up about Thrashin' a few months ago and now it's suggesting a lot of 80s/90s stuff, some of which I've never seen.

4 hours ago, Loki said:

A League Of Their Own (1992)

Typically American mawkish sentimentality aside, this was a good ensemble cast putting on a funny, sometimes poignant story.  A bit like with Bigelow, it's fun to see the female gaze take on a usually very macho genre (sports movies).  Probably Penny Marshall's best film, depending on how you feel about Awakenings.

You know she made Big, right?

Edited by Mr_Danger