VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

The Zone of Interest (cinema)

Couldn't be more amused that this was released on the same day as Migration. Obviously I'd prefer Jonathan Glazer not to wait 10 years to make films but that's 4/4 in his career. A really horrifying and invasive film, as tends to be his way, possibly the best and most important use of sound design in any film this century.

Alice, Darling (Prime)

Anna Kendrick really has something as a dramatic actor. An excellent drama about a woman unaware of being caught in an abusive relationship, realistically unfurling up to an ending I found really shaking.

There's Something in the Barn

Thoroughly stupid horror-comedy that you've seen a hundred thousand times before. I can't even forgive Martin Starr for this one, no matter how great Party Down is.

Hooper (YouTube)

Excellent action-comedy that Hal Needham made in tribute to stuntspeople after witnessing their work when he made Smokey and the Bandit. Just a great laugh, one of Burt Reynolds' best.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Hooper (YouTube)

Excellent action-comedy that Hal Needham made in tribute to stuntspeople after witnessing their work when he made Smokey and the Bandit. Just a great laugh, one of Burt Reynolds' best.

Best genre of film is 'Burt and the boys having a laugh'. Hooper is fucking class

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Vaughn made one good film, Layer Cake, and that's it. I'm afraid to revisit that in case it was actually as awful as the rest of his shit.

Ain’t that the fucking truth. My mate asked me if I’m going to see Argylle to which I replied I don’t really like Mathew Vaughan and he replied “What about Kingsman?” Fucking hell.

I’ll give Stardust a pass due to its sentimental value but its pretty messy and even though he’s only in it fleetingly it still has too much Gervais.

Rewatched Tender Mercies last night.

Maybe the third or fourth time I've seen it and I'd comfortably put it in my top five favourite films. It's just a beautiful movie full of heart without being sentimental. Wonderfully directed by Bruce Beresford and a spot-on lead performance from Robert Duvall (who rightly won an Oscar for it). Supporting cast are all great, too, and the soundtrack is ace.

Plus it clocks in at around 90 minutes, the best length for a film. Everyone should see it, but especially people interested in a story about a former country music star trying to put his life back together in a tiny Texas town. 

Argylle, a lot has been said about reasons it's dogshit but I've of the things that REALLY annoyed me about it was

Spoiler

The use of the Beatles song that only came out in November. All the way through the film I was assuming that non of it was real (potentially all part of the cats imagination) because of how many plot holes and how ridiculous it was and this was only enforced by the use of that song, it's referred to as their song, it's part of the brainwashing process, it's a plot point but it wasn't out then! Everything else being ridiculous I could live with but not that, it it had all been in the cats imagination then I could have let it slide but no! 

Terrible film. Brief silly sections that were kind of entertaining but dogshit 

10 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Argylle, a lot has been said about reasons it's dogshit but I've of the things that REALLY annoyed me about it was

Reveal hidden contents

The use of the Beatles song that only came out in November. All the way through the film I was assuming that non of it was real (potentially all part of the cats imagination) because of how many plot holes and how ridiculous it was and this was only enforced by the use of that song, it's referred to as their song, it's part of the brainwashing process, it's a plot point but it wasn't out then! Everything else being ridiculous I could live with but not that, it it had all been in the cats imagination then I could have let it slide but no! 

God, I forgot about that. Too many shit things to remember about why I hate it.

I think it’s even worse than Wonder Woman ‘84, another humourless waste of time and effort that was about 4 hours too long. 

I've been on a big Ken Loach binge since I first saw I, Daniel Blake last week. What a film. It broke my heart and left me furious at the state of our country and how the government treats the less fortunate. I'm not sure if this will hit as hard if you were to show it to a non-Brit, but it highlighted the sheer brutality and cruelty of our government. Every role was played to perfection and the scenes from the food bank and supermarket were devastating.

I followed this up with My Name Is Joe. A lesser known Loach flick from 1998, this is about a former alcoholic keeping his life on track by coaching a local football team. A relationship blooms between him and a social worker. Peter Mullen plays the lead and he's simply delightful. He's incredibly likable despite his dark past and his tendencies to get himself into trouble by trying to help those around him. This is yet another film that will pull on heartstrings and leave you emotionally devastated. 

Ladybird, Ladybird was the next film I saw from Loach and this film sticks out as it is the first film of his where I wasn't completely backing the lead. Crissy Rock plays Maggie, a woman damaged by previous abusive relationship and childhood sexual abuse fighting the state to keep her children under her care. Maggie has a mean temper and flies off the rail due to her trauma and social services deem her unfit to look after her children. This film made me look at both sides at play here, where I could understand why social services wanted to keep Maggie's kids from her while also feeling sympathy for Maggie and her situation. 

I strongly recommend all three films. They're all available on YouTube and clock in under 100 minutes.

Edited by pitseleh

• Paid Members

The boards response to Argylle is even one I’m shocked by. It’s twice the film The Beekeeper was you absolute berks. 

Other than the thing that really annoyed me 

Spoiler

I assume Now and Then was cheap to licence, or that Apple cut a deal with the other Apple to use it. And the only way I’ll accept its use  in this film is if the film was actually set in 2028 and it wasn’t acknowledged.

Otherwise it’s a fine film. Easier to enjoy than the first 2 Kingsman films because it’s not written by a horny teenager. Bryce Dallas Howard was wonderful as the lead. Sam Rockwell was good in a role you’d not expect to see him in. They hold the film together. Yes it’s stupid, yes there are two many plot twists despite it being a spy film and yes it is most importantly too long, but it’s probably the best thing he’s made in years and I’d be happy to see where a sequel takes us, which is more than can be said about The Beekeeper. Not enough Big Match John, but a pleasant 7/10.

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve not seen it, but I know this is never true. 

Yeah he’s the Daniel Mays of Hollywood according to this place. Personally the roles I have seen him in I’ve enjoyed. But I don’t watch films because he’s in them so I must have avoided these awful performances he's done tbh.