VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

I’ll keep the comments short as I haven’t posted any films in here for a while.

Step Brothers - John C Reilly is the highlight. And Richard Jenkins. And Mary Steenburgen looking great. And Kathryn Hahn. So, lots of highlights I guess. 3/5

Knives Out - seen it twice. Still can’t remember who actually did it. 4/5

California Man - Brendan Fraser should have won an Oscar for this instead of The Whale. 3/5

The League Of Gentlemen’s Apocalypse - the show fell off a cliff in the third series, but this was okay. An extra star for Geoff Tipps. 3/5

The Boat That Rocked - good cast, great music, but Richard Curtis, so… 3/5

Brokeback Mountain - hey, it’s Randy Quaid! I wonder what happened to him. Oh. Oh no. 4/5

The Lovely Bones - Stanley Tucci is terrifying. 4/5

Jennifer’s Body - Amanda Seyfried is lovely. 3/5

The Green Mile - Fuck you Percy. 5/5

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 - I prefer Tobey Maguire, and the new Goblin was a complete waste. 3/5 & 4/5

Spawn - pretty goddamn bad. Yet I still enjoy it, pretty much due to Clown. 3/5

Captain America: The First Avenger - overshadowed by the sequels, but I love the WW2 setting. 4/5

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 - the most consistently great Marvel films for me. 5/5

The Legend Of Tarzan (first watch) - inferior simian film. 3/5

Stand By Me - I’d kill to look like Keifer Sutherland in this. I’ll have to settle for Vern, sadly. 5/5

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - have yet to see the sequel, but this is just wonderful. Kathryn Hahn again. Yay. 4/5

Life Of Pi (first watch) - loved this. Young Pi and old Pi were both perfect. 4/5

Logan - a nice send off for Hugh Jackman, who we will never see as Wolverine ever again. 4/5

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - superior simian film. 5/5

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - more apes. 4/5

War For The Planet Of The Apes - yet more (Bad) apes. This trilogy is some of the best blockbuster films of the past 10 years or so. 5/5

X-Men: Apocalypse - I forgot how shit Apocalypse is in this. 3/5 (barely)

Bullet Train (first watch) - Aaron Taylor Johnson’s performance (and moustache) here did things to me. 4/5

Pearl (first watch) - Mia Goth is a goddamn superstar. That final shot! Fuck. 4/5

The Super Mario Bros Movie (first watch) - I expected I’d like this based on the buzz at the time, but I thought it was utterly charming and completely surpassed my expectations. Has to be the best game to film adaptation. With apologies to the original Mario film. I still love you. 4/5

The Inbetweeners 1 & 2 - watched them after binging the show again. I could quite happily spend more time with these characters. 4/5 & 3/5

The Double (first watch) - the Jesse Eisenberg doppelgänger one. 3/5

The Double (second watch) - the Jesse Eisenberg doppelgänger one. 3/5

Dr. No - and so begins the Bondathon. Strong start. 4/5

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation - top 5 Christmas film. I wonder what happened to Randy Quaid. Oh, that’s right. 4/5

mother! - I watched it last year and swore I wouldn’t do so again. But I gave it another go armed with the knowledge of what it’s actually about. Nope. Still weird. Definitely the last time I watch it… 3/5

Warcraft - genuinely not sure if it’s just a fun bit of fluff or utter shite. The guy who plays the apprentice magician is possibly the blandest actor I’ve ever seen. 2/5 or 3/5 for the hot orc.

Talk To Me (first watch) - great setup, but I thought the final act let it down. Good cast though, the main girl especially. 3/5

Watched a couple of proper grown up films.

May December.
I could just post a meme of the cops in Southpark doing the ‘niiice’ but the film is much better than that. Julianne Moore is great playing a role that strange to say suits her but for me Portman gives a lot to a role that seems outside of her comfort zone. Your lad plays his role brilliantly too, you know exactly why he’s like the way he is even though he doesn’t. 

Tar.

If you ever needed proof that the Oscars are bobbins you should watch this and consider Cate Blanchett didn’t win best actress. She’s world class.

This is what I've watched since my last update (sorry this is a bit of a dump)

Spoiler

360.) Totally Killer* (7)
361.) Little Shop Of Horrors* (7)
362.) Carrie (1976) (9)
363.) Fair Play* (9)
364.) John Wick 4* (8)
365.) Accused* (8)
366.) The Boogeyman* (7)
367.) Ringu (8)
368.) The Exorcist (7)
369.) Poltergeist* (8)
370.) Old Dads* (1)
371.) The Shining (10)
372.) The Witches Of Eastwick* (7)
373.) I Am Legend* (8)
374.) Passages* (6)
375.) Halloween (10)
376.) Talk To Me* (9)
377.) Wingwomen* (9)
378.) Stand By Me (9)
379.) Anita & Me* (7)
380.) The Killer* (9)
381.) Quiz Lady* (7)
382.) Planes, Trains & Automobiles (10)
383.) Three Amigos!* (7)
384.) Pain Hustlers* (8)
385.) Planet of the Apes* (7)
386.) Girl Most Likely* (5)
387.) Anaconda* (8)
388.) Charlie's Angels (7)
389.) Look Who's Talking (3)
390.) Miss Congeniality (8)
391.) Let It Snow* (4)
392.) The Family Man* (6)
393.) Fir Crazy* (5)
394.) Never Been Chris'd* (2)
395.) Journey Back To Christmas* (1)
396.) The Christmas Break* (6)
397.) No Hard Feelings* (9)
398.) L.A. Story* (8)
399.) Belfast* (8)
400.) Cliffhanger (9)
401.) Red Heat* (8)
402.) The Virgin Suicides (10)
403.) Husbands and Wives* (9)
404.) Donnie Brasco (9)
405.) Leave The World Behind* (8)
406.) Your Christmas Or Mine 2* (5)
407.) Sleepless In Seattle (10)
408.) Fargo (9)
409.) Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny* (6)
410.) Boyz n The Hood (10)
411.) Some Like It Hot* (9)

Tried to watch some horrors but I still struggle with it as a genre, mainly around inspiration. I just don't know what to watch.

Carrie is just such a good film (those kids deserved to burn) The Boogeyman was passable, Ringu held up surprisingly well (we rinsed this as teens) and The Exorcist is clearly a good film, I just don't particularly enjoy it as much as everyone else and it just makes me laugh. I'm sorry.

I didn't realise Little Shop Of Horrors was a musical until it was too late, but it was quite charming.

Best first time watches: Fair Play and Accused were both great, tense watches; I Am Legend a lot of fun (no idea how I'd never seen this seeing as its on ITV2 every night); Talk To Me lovely and brutal, Wingwomen has Adele Exarchopolous and Melanie Laurent, of course I was going to love it (on Adele, I was a bit disappointed by Passages)

I got a big kick out of The Killer, and loved the way it was shot; Pain Hustlers was really good and if you like that type of film (based on a true story, offbeat background, talking heads showing they're sorry) this will be for you.

Anaconda is another film I have no idea how its passed me by, I had such a great time watching, same for Red Heat (how did this not get a sequel?) 

No Hard Feelings was hilarious and I think Jennifer Lawrence is really underrated as a comedic actress, and L.A. Story and Husbands and Wives are both top tier Steve Martin and Woody Allen films respectively. 

I really love Donnie Brasco. I'm not quite sure why, but it's always been one of my favourite films (didn't know it at the time, but this was an extended cut. Doesn't add anything to be honest)

The other films that got 10s are, IMO, perfect films and Boyz n The Hood is probably my favourite film of all time. That and Do The Right Thing honestly shaped so much for me, music as well as films.

Shite? Christmas is covered elsewhere, Old Dads is one of the worst films I've ever seen and I watched Look Who's Talking as growing up, my sisters and I seemingly watched it all the time. What a piece of shit, and cancel me if you must, but that is one ugly kid.

Indiana Jones is fine. Its far, far too long, but it was fine. I unashamedly love Phoebe Waller-Bridge so I was interested enough and the ending made me much more emotional than I was prepared for.

Couple of last points: the original Planet Of The Apes, like The Exorcist a fine film, I just couldn't take it at all serious (blame Troy McClure) and this is not new information but watching Some Like It Hot made me realise just how incredibly charming Marilyn Monroe was. Just a mesmerising presence. 

Don't think I'll crack 500 this year but that's something to aim for next time eh? 

On the back of me watching a couple of proper grown up films I watched The Pope’s Exorcist. Would I bother watching this if it didn’t have fat Russell Crowe doing an Italian accent riding a moped? Obviously not. Does fat Russell Crowe doing an Italian accent riding a moped make this film good? Probably not but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Only criticism is that you couldn’t get the full heft of fat Russell Crowe under his robes and I suspect he could have been a bit fatter for my liking. Still, him cuckooing at a gaggle of nuns and making them giggle like horny school girls makes up for that. I’ll stick with the franchise until Crowe drops out or gets skinny again.

Edited by Mr_Danger

Despite having seen it 20+ times we went to see The Muppet's Christmas Carol at the cinema yesterday morning. £3 each on tickets, thirty quid on snacks, nachos and Tango Ice Blasts for breakfast. I think this is still my favourite Christmas film. The songs are great, Michael Caine is ridiculously good and who doesn't love seeing puppet lobsters in a big ensemble musical number. I spent a lot of time just watching Caine and holy shit, his performance is so, so good. There's the meme about how he's treating it as if he's not working with puppets but it's true, it's a masterclass of emotion. And the ghost of Christmas yet to come is still fucking terrifying.

8 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

On the back of me watching a couple of proper grown up films I watched The Pope’s Exorcist. Would I bother watching this if it didn’t have fat Russell Crowe doing an Italian accent riding a moped? Obviously not. Does fat Russell Crowe doing an Italian accent riding a moped make this film good? Probably not but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Only criticism is that you couldn’t get the full heft of fat Russell Crowe under his robes and I suspect he could have been a bit fatter for my liking. Still, him cuckooing at a gaggle of nuns and making them giggle like horny school girls makes up for that. I’ll stick with the franchise until Crowe drops out or gets skinny again.

Sold!  Is it on a streaming service?  I love me fat Crowe, and I'm hoping his accent was the same one he used playing Zeus in Thor.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

Sold!  Is it on a streaming service?  I love me fat Crowe, and I'm hoping his accent was the same one he used playing Zeus in Thor.

I watched it on Now TV. Well worth a subscription deal for a month or two, think I got 6 months for £4.99 a month.

Violent Night - got this on Prime Video as Amazon had sent me a £5 credit for any buy or rental. What an utterly fun ride, David Harbour plays a heavy drinking Santa who gets caught up in the midst of a heist on a rich family led by John Leguizamo and saves them in very brutal fashion after hearing the plea of the young daughter of the son of the family. 

Santa’s Slay - the infamous slasher film starring Goldberg as the titular Santa, the kills are utterly hilarious at times and the story itself is hot or miss but Ol’ Bill comes off great in it (I think this may have been filmed around the time of his botched heel run in WCW)

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Not yet but it probably won’t be too long until it is.

We watched it a couple of months back and it’s all kinds of silly. Theres a part early on where Russell has to go perform an exorcism in southern Spain, and he goes on his Moped, which coming from The Vatican would’ve taken him fucking ages. 
Because the wife and I are quite childish we always get a giggle out of calling it ‘The Pope Sexorcist’.

Any way, I’ve just got back from watching Godzilla Minus One which I enjoyed immensely. There’s a moment just before the hour mark that genuinely made me want to jump out of my seat and punch the air it was that amazing. Absolutely recommend this one