VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I think there's been some oversight on The Rock's films because he's been on such a bad recent run and because his cape film hilariously tanked. I love Cena and Big Dave but The Rock was in the best three F&F films, the decent spin-off, and you can add that to The Mummy Returns, The Rundown, Journey 2, the two Jumanji films, Pain & Gain, Rampage and Skyscraper. He's still (just about) clear although Big Dave has the distinction of being in the best film any of them have done, Blade Runner 2049.

• Paid Members

The Rock is completely one note as an actor which is why all his roles feel the same. That, and he often goes for the same roles (and I neglect the word typecast as most of his films are through his production company). Even Jumanji 2 was a step down from the first. The quality in F&F went up when he joined, and have been downhill since his feud with Vin Diesel (and Hobbs and Shaw is another wasted Leitch directed film. He always gets the right cast and fumbles the final product). He is lucky his botched attempt to take over the DCU has been quietly hidden away over christmas, but I have no interest in rushing to see his nect project.

Big Dave on the other hand is happy to pick up at least interesting roles and films. It's a shame he didn't start his film career a bit sooner but I am excited to see what he is going to be in next after this upcoming Shyamalan and GotG 3.  

The Rock's spent at least the past decade cultivating himself as a "brand", with all the contractual creative control ridiculousness that entails, so any failure punches a hole in his entire USP rather than it being a blip on a CV. The Rock needs another genuine big win soon after his failure to get a Middle Eastern unkillable despot over as a face with American audiences (who'd've though, eh?). Even Big John's whatchagonnado?-shrugging CNN news anchor with aaaaaabs shtick feels like marketing as the WASP Rock. Big Dave, despite being only 5 years behind Dwayne in terms of film career, actually seems to want to be a good actor, has made some really smart choices mixing the obligatory Disney and MCU roles with some smarter auteur stuff, with no elevated aspirations beyond doing that job really well. His one scene in Blade Runner 2049 is better than Rocky and John's entire filmographies.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He's still (just about) clear although Big Dave has the distinction of being in the best three films any of them have done: Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Spectre.

Fixed for you!

• Paid Members

Finally saw Free Guy the other day and predictably loved it due to subject matter and being an unashamed Ryan Reynolds fanboi. A Shawn Levy film, it’s as a devoted love letter to its genre as Stranger Things is to the 80s, AND has Steve Harrington in it! The story is decent, the world of Free City looks stunning and there’s some awesome bits to spot in the background - a character repeatedly jumping on the spot for instance, as we’ve all done in similar games. Channing Tatum is great in his role which took me completely off guard, and there are some fun voices to listen out for - Tina Fey, Hugh Jackman, our Dwayne. There are some continuity issues - Molotov expresses shock that Guy is capable of a certain action in-game - there isn’t a button for it - but latter does the action herself regardless because the story demands it. But I’m quibbling. It won’t be for everyone, a kind of Truman Show meets Ready Player One with a little of Deadpool thrown in, and the trailer immediately gave away that it would be my kind of film. I have no doubt that if it ISNT your kind of film, you’ll know from the trailer too.

Albuquerque Boiled Turkey.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Batman and Pinocchio in the top 10 while The Souvenir: Part II is at 100 is a good laugh, I'll give them that.

The Souvenir Part II is one of the worst films I've seen all year, only The Eternal Daughter was worse. I don't think Joanna Hogg is for me. 

On 12/28/2022 at 12:12 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Rock is completely one note as an actor which is why all his roles feel the same. That, and he often goes for the same roles (and I neglect the word typecast as most of his films are through his production company). 

He probably still remembers the disaster that was Southland Tales. 

19 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Some stuff there I definitely need to try as I missed quite a lot.

What is this critics thing? Seems to only have 6 followers on Facebook and only the awards on the website really. Something new last year or a relaunch? 🙂