VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Rule One said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. *Continuous Michael Scott No Gif*

No no no no no.

Angry boomer type here. Just no. Paul Rudd carried this 2 hours of crap. Get fucked.

Aside from the shite CGI and weak enemy, the all female Ghostbusters was way better. (And this is coming from someone who thought it deserves better praise than it got from the boo boys.)

Farewell my youth, it has been shat upon from a monstrous height.

I thought it was a perfectly fine way to spend 2 hours, a very slightly above average adventure movie. Almost a shame that this film relied so heavily on nostalgia as it had a really great cast. If it didn't have the nostalgia baggage (remove the Ghostbusters link entirely) and was just a family adventure about ghosts it would have been a much better movie.

The all female Ghostbusters is just a terrible movie in every possible way. And that's not because it's women or because of any reverence for the original movie. It's just a horribly made, spectacularly unfunny and ugly piece of shit.

Edited by LaGoosh

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Then just stay home and watch the original (not you, just people with that view). I don't understand what people really expected from Afterlife. It did exactly what I expected it to. Pay tribute to the original whilst making a film for a new generation of fans. 

And I'll say it. Ghostbusters is a 7 out of 10. Nostalgia does a lot of heavy lifting. It's not as funny as you think, it isn't as scary as you remember. It had a great cast, with a good script, at the right time. It is not the masterpiece people will tell you it is. Films like Back to the Future hold up much better than Ghostbusters do. We watched Ghostbusters before Afterlife and my daughter thought it was good, but enjoyed Afterlife more (and probably because she could relate to the characters more).

The expectation/interpreting is up to the individual. You liked it, I didn't, big deal but somehow I'm wrong?

After 20+ years of wrangling through will they/won't they, legalities and other nonsense another Ghostbusters was greenlit, given it had a $75 million budget, a wealth of talent both old and new and this is best they could roll out?

The story is weak, hackneyed together from old lore whilst having no direction going forward and overly relies on nostalgia, it offers nothing to new viewers and there's zero warmth in the new characters that standout with only Paul Rudds goofing off that dragged it along at times.

The mum was a grade A arse, female Egon is just a poor imitation of 2016's Egon ripoff but she did the best she could. Podcast is annoying and his jokes are laboured to even younger audience members and the less said about the Stranger Things skeleton with the charisma of a broom matched only by his love interest, the better. 

$75 million, 2 hours and they couldn't string out a simple story that made sense and didn't just wildly jump from scene to scene and expect the viewer to pick up the fractured jigsaw pieces that don't really fit. There was zero peril in this compared to what Ghostbusters 1 built up so well into a satisfactory ending.

If you rate Ghostbusters a solid 7/10, its still 7/10 better than Afterlife.

There was 20 of us who watched it together, young and old and there wasn't 1 of us who said it was anything more than passable.

And there's another one due out in the coming year... Great.

@LaGoosh I think that if the 2016 version was called something else and didn't use the Ghostbusters logos/etc people would probably look at it more fondly as an acceptable afternoon movie.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Rule One said:

I think that if the 2016 version was called something else and didn't use the Ghostbusters logos/etc people would probably look at it more fondly as an acceptable afternoon movie.

If it wasn't a Ghostbusters movie less people would have watched it and they would all be much happier, that's for sure. Absolutely wretched.

There's a line in it that I think was used in one of the trailers which kind of summed up the movie to me. Melissa McCarthy yells at the villain "come get your virginity out of the lost and found!"...it's one of those things that kind of sounds like a joke, may even get a laugh out of some people, but if you stop and think about the line for one second you'll realise not only is it not funny, it's not even really a joke and barely even fucking makes sense. The whole film is packed to the brim with loud, stupid, nonsensical mean spirited shitty lines like this.

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Ghostbuster: Afterline forever is a perfectly fun film to watch on a plane. Glad I didn't pay for a cinema ticket but definitely enjoyed it on my way back from holiday.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rule One said:

The expectation/interpreting is up to the individual. You liked it, I didn't, big deal but somehow I'm wrong?

Did I say that?

1 hour ago, Rule One said:

If you rate Ghostbusters a solid 7/10, its still 7/10 better than Afterlife.

I don't even know what to say to that drivel. So it was a 0/10 for you? 

• Paid Members

Re-watched Seven on Netflix. Apart from all the brilliant madness throughout, for some reason my favourite scene is when Morgan Freeman's working in the library and the rozzers are upstairs playing cards. "Gentleman, I'll never understand. A world of knowledge at your fingertips, and you choose to play poker!"...well it tickled me anyway. The ending is utterly gripping as well nearly 30 years on. 

Sorry We Missed You

I know Ken Loach films are often grim, but jesus christ Ken. Might be one of the bleakest films I've ever seen. Good mind.

The Fighter

No idea how I didn't know this was based on Micky Ward seeing as him vs Gatti are my favourite fights of all time, but this was superb. I thought Wahlberg was great, very understated (read: he's not a very good actor) but Bale...holy shit mate. Literally chewing the scenery. Fantastic performance though. Also Amy Adams as a trampy waitress. 11/10

Another Round

So good, and a really interesting concept. Mads is the boy. 

Together, Together

A really sweet film about Patti Harrison being a surrogate for Ed Helms. At times it felt a bit like Andy Bernard's Baby film, but that's probably on me. Patti Harrison is so brilliant in this.

In Bruges

Somehow have never seen it, despite it being on ITV channels 200 times a week. Loved it. Apart from the Spurs slagging obvs. Fiennes is such a good dickhead.

Falling For Christmas

Don't be suckered in, this is just a Hallmark movie. I thought it might be a bit tongue in cheek, or post modern, or ironic, or even just funny. But no. It's a Hallmark film with a Netflix sticker on it. 

I actually had planned to start a thread on here this month and watch a shitload of these awful Christmas films for something to do in December and I thought it might be "fun" and this film was so fucking awful, it put the kibosh on it. Bet you're all gutted.

I have also watched both Hot Tub Time Machine films, and the first one was actually a lot of fun. The sequel is rough though. 

Rewatched Glengarry Glen Ross and its still the best. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry We Missed You

I know Ken Loach films are often grim, but jesus christ Ken. Might be one of the bleakest films I've ever seen. Good mind.

Yeah I “Enjoyed” it but I think it suffered with Loach’s penchant for casting non actors, particularly the boss of the delivery firm. Unless he was going full method and was basing his delivery on Yodel. 

• Awards Moderator
45 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

this is just a Hallmark movie

Speaking of which, what is this shovel of shit that's popped up on iplayer? Are these tax write offs? Dozens of identikit romantic Christmas comedies. They reek of a solution to the question "what does the algorithm tell us?" 

375431516_Screenshot_20221208-171425_BBCiPlayer.thumb.jpg.d212064686945a4bcb4767308cca8c86.jpg

2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Speaking of which, what is this shovel of shit that's popped up on iplayer? Are these tax write offs? Dozens of identikit romantic Christmas comedies. They reek of a solution to the question "what does the algorithm tell us?" 

375431516_Screenshot_20221208-171425_BBCiPlayer.thumb.jpg.d212064686945a4bcb4767308cca8c86.jpg

ITVX is full of them as well. 

Like I said, I thought a thread would be fun, where you all find the worst sounding/looking ones and I watch them, as I'll watch any old shit, but absolutely sod that now.

I'll probably a watch a couple of the Netflix ones but most of them sound like the worst films ever made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Avatar 2 is exactly what you’d expect. Your enjoyment will vary based on your opinion of the 1st. Far too long, but visually still good and the 3D was excellent. The IMAX trailers for Mission Impossible and Creed 3 will probably see me pay the extra for them next year.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

That bad, huh?

Once again a great example of his technology. I’d say the story is better this time round. But at times, maybe because it was an HDR presentation, the film looked like a ps5 game due to frame rates. We rewatched the first film last weekend as my daughter hadn’t seen it. Watched it in 3D and it’s definitely the best way to watch it, but it’s still style over substance and less impressive this time round.

Avatar was like going from an old tube tv to getting an HD TV. Avatar 2 is like going from that HD TV to 4K. marginal improvement.