VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Was fortunate to see the limited cinema run of this on Wednesday at a tiny cinema in Rome.

This has a totally different feel to the original, it’s much more grandiose and can be considered style over substance initially but it gets a lot stronger in the second act and nails the third for me. Benoit Blanc is definitely more lighthearted and almost an imitation at times but Craig still plays it well.

I really loved it though, it has a fantastic cast who all put in a great shift - especially Janelle Monae, who is just fantastic in everything. Big Dave Bautista continues to be the best, absolutely nails the absurdity and immaturity of a Joe Rogan/bro character. I’ll forever be in love with Kate Hudson.
The cinematography is beautiful, just as you’d expect from Rian Johnson. Not sure if I prefer it to the first film (my Mrs did), but I’m definitely going to be rewatching it when it’s on Netflix next month.

A very solid 4/5 for me, potentially even higher when rewatched with fresh eyes that didn’t include a long day of sightseeing prior. Definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen before it’s on Netflix.

• Paid Members

@METAL ON METALI'm off to see this with my mum on Tuesday. We're both looking forward to it. I really enjoyed the first one, but my mum hasn't managed to see it the whole way through because she rarely gets the time to watch a movie in one sitting. Hopefully she gets the chance to before then. 

• Paid Members

I think I preferred the first, but it's a fun film and the change in setting and scale definitely makes it feel fresh.

A lot of films have tried to copy Knives Out and failed which shows how good the original was. Glass Onion is the only one that comes close. 

• Paid Members

Glass Onion Is not as good as the first. But the bar was set so high anyway. The cast didn’t gel as well as the characters in knives out. Kathryn Hahn is underused. Janelle Monàe was great though, as was Big Dave And Craig looks like he loves every second. Still a solid 8/10.

Ghostbusters Afterlife

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. *Continuous Michael Scott No Gif*

No no no no no.

Angry boomer type here. Just no. Paul Rudd carried this 2 hours of crap. Get fucked.

Aside from the shite CGI and weak enemy, the all female Ghostbusters was way better. (And this is coming from someone who thought it deserves better praise than it got from the boo boys.)

Farewell my youth, it has been shat upon from a monstrous height.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rule One said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. *Continuous Michael Scott No Gif*

No no no no no.

Angry boomer type here. Just no. Paul Rudd carried this 2 hours of crap. Get fucked.

Aside from the shite CGI and weak enemy, the all female Ghostbusters was way better. (And this is coming from someone who thought it deserves better praise than it got from the boo boys.)

Farewell my youth, it has been shat upon from a monstrous height.

I’m confused. Did you or don’t you like the film. Please be clearer.

P.S. 

Spoiler

You’re wrong.

Ghostbusters Afterlife is fine. The original is lightening in a bottle, the right people, the right film and the right time. They’ll never recreate that and if they did you’d still need to rewind your age to truly appreciate it. As far as pale imitations go Afterlife is decent.

The problem with AFTERLIFE was that people just want to see the original Ghostbusters. As someone said, the first one is a pure moment of magic and the first half of number 2 is great.

It was like the new STAR WARS films. Just show me the original three and get on with it.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Factotum said:

The problem with AFTERLIFE was that people just want to see the original Ghostbusters. As someone said, the first one is a pure moment of magic and the first half of number 2 is great.

It was like the new STAR WARS films. Just show me the original three and get on with it.

Then just stay home and watch the original (not you, just people with that view). I don't understand what people really expected from Afterlife. It did exactly what I expected it to. Pay tribute to the original whilst making a film for a new generation of fans. 

And I'll say it. Ghostbusters is a 7 out of 10. Nostalgia does a lot of heavy lifting. It's not as funny as you think, it isn't as scary as you remember. It had a great cast, with a good script, at the right time. It is not the masterpiece people will tell you it is. Films like Back to the Future hold up much better than Ghostbusters do. We watched Ghostbusters before Afterlife and my daughter thought it was good, but enjoyed Afterlife more (and probably because she could relate to the characters more).

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And I'll say it. Ghostbusters is a 7 out of 10. Nostalgia does a lot of heavy lifting. It's not as funny as you think, it isn't as scary as you remember. It had a great cast, with a good script, at the right time. It is not the masterpiece people will tell you it is. Films like Back to the Future hold up much better than Ghostbusters do.

I'd go one further and say this is being generous. Never understood the love for Ghostbusters, it's about as average as it gets. Venkman is one of the most overrated characters in film history.

I do think this about a lot of 80s comedies though. Coming To America is shite too.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I do think this about a lot of 80s comedies though. Coming To America is shite too.

Trading Places, on the other hand, is great.

Until the last 20 minutes, when you get Dan Akroyd in blackface and lots of other weird stuff and it all goes off the rails a bit.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't understand what people really expected from Afterlife. It did exactly what I expected it to. Pay tribute to the original whilst making a film for a new generation of fans

I liked it, I just think that the people who will come out to watch it will be filled with nostalgia and that's the audience you're playing to. Do any kids give two shits about GHOSTBUSTERS anymore? I was just confused what the aim of it was. Hardly a new generation going around loving those characters (I can't actually remember a single name of any new character from it)