WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Lads, can you keep an eye out for a good Switch deal for me please. With Mario or Zelda even better. Cheers big ears.

The standard Switch can be had in a free Switch Sports bundle everywhere for ~£260.  The OLED version is ~£300.  In Argos they'll chuck you a game in from a selection with that.  Smyths have some reasonable bundles too, moreso with the regular Switch.

Edited by johnnyboy

Valve have put out a lovely documentary on Half-Life for its 25th anniversary:

Most of my nostalgia has been console based but - to expand on posting that Unreal Tournament mix in the video game music thread - I get pangs of late 90s/early 00s PC nostalgia watching things like this. 

For me it was still the era of PC gaming have its most unique identity. It seems like it's bigger than ever now as the logical go-to for hardcore enthusiasts and Twitch streamers but I still basically see PCs as souped up consoles for the most part, and the expense to get an unnecessarily supercharged rig  seems to get crazier each year and more of a bizarre, self-flagellating hobby unto itself. 

Before the 360 and PS3, PC had a completely unique identity. Dodgy ports of arena shooters on PS2 and Xbox were kind of the bridging point - add the Dreamcast into that too, with ports of Unreal and Quake 3 - but up until then they just felt so much different to consoles. Endless shooters, fan maps, weird gameplay mods, PC magazines giving away huge chunks of free content and patches on CDs, some of the best games ever distributed on bargain bin labels, weird RPG and point and click games. And you could get away with the vast majority of it on your aunt/dad/family's office computer if they had one. 

I started playing PC games on my aunt's Windows 98 tower when I was about 10, and it was like...I don't know...psychedelic gaming. Going behind the curtain of games in a way console gaming couldn't do at the time. Downloading endless strange maps for early builds of Counter-Strike then starting empty LAN games in them just so I could run around in other people's creations and think "Huh...that's neat." There was nothing like it. 

Nice to see there's definitely still a sizeable subculture for that out there, because when I think of PC gaming now I think of people who have little Monster Energy fridges next to their setup so they can stay up all night when they try and push 120 frames out of Cyberpunk on max settings, to do a YouTube video on what a shallow experience it is. 

• Paid Members

There's someone on here (I can't recall who) who once mentioned a game called Autobahn Police Simulator. It piqued my interest but I held off buying it for a long time until last week I finally saw it on sale (the Third installment) and took the plunge. 

What a weird game - the graphics, the controls and, above all, the voice acting are all atrocious. I'm talking laughably bad. However, the gameplay itself somehow manages to be really fun and very varied. As you'd imagine from the name, you're a German police officer patrolling the motorway and there's so much you can do here. You can stop any car you like and carry out traffic checks and ask questions, administer a breathalyser or do drug tests. Or you can help out at an accident and investigate as to the cause. You can take part in high speed pursuits or set up roadblocks. You can go to driving school. You can even race off to stop armed robberies at petrol stations (again, the gun controls are horrendous though). There are collectibles to gather and then there are the standard storyline missions too. 

So despite all appearances, turns out that being a German policeman has been rather fun! If you're someone who values aesthetics and technical aptitude over the gameplay, I definitely can't recommend Autobahn Police Simulator but I've found it far more enjoyable than it has any right to be, despite pretty much every review I've seen on the thing being overwhelmingly negative. If whoever it was who mentioned the game a couple of years ago happens to read this, then Danke! 

• Paid Members

There are a lot of those [subject here] Simulator games. I think there's a German developer/Publisher that churns them out in the hopes that people think they're something like Euro Truck Simulator/Train Simulator, Farming Simulator etc. NerdCubed used to play through a good few of them on his YouTube channel, and they'd be amusing videos. They're very janky games, but if people know what to expect then I'm sure they can be fun.

I picked up Super Box Delivery on Switch yesterday. It's a simple enough game. Your vehicle accelerates automatically, and you pick up boxes while avoiding oncoming traffic and other hazards. Every so often you'll encounter a pickup station where you can drop the parcels off. Your car gets faster and faster as you pick up more and more parcels. There's a handy little radar type thing at the top of the screen as an early warning system. The game ends when you crash into an obstacle.

As you score more points you earn coins which can be used to upgrade your car, buy a new one, or obtain power ups such as a little bullet time button, a parcel rain feature that gives you loads of bonus boxes to pick up, and extra lives, so you can survive more collisions.

It's such a simple game, but it's got that "one more go" thing down pat. It's got bright, cute graphics, and a jaunty soundtrack. It's about £1.12 on Switch at the moment. 

4 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

There's someone on here (I can't recall who) who once mentioned a game called Autobahn Police Simulator. It piqued my interest but I held off buying it for a long time until last week I finally saw it on sale (the Third installment) and took the plunge. 

What a weird game - the graphics, the controls and, above all, the voice acting are all atrocious. I'm talking laughably bad. However, the gameplay itself somehow manages to be really fun and very varied. As you'd imagine from the name, you're a German police officer patrolling the motorway and there's so much you can do here. You can stop any car you like and carry out traffic checks and ask questions, administer a breathalyser or do drug tests. Or you can help out at an accident and investigate as to the cause. You can take part in high speed pursuits or set up roadblocks. You can go to driving school. You can even race off to stop armed robberies at petrol stations (again, the gun controls are horrendous though). There are collectibles to gather and then there are the standard storyline missions too. 

So despite all appearances, turns out that being a German policeman has been rather fun! If you're someone who values aesthetics and technical aptitude over the gameplay, I definitely can't recommend Autobahn Police Simulator but I've found it far more enjoyable than it has any right to be, despite pretty much every review I've seen on the thing being overwhelmingly negative. If whoever it was who mentioned the game a couple of years ago happens to read this, then Danke! 

Obviously ACAB but that does sound like fun, pulling over innocent people for no reason really appeals to me!

Thanks to @Loki I’m going to start Like A Dragon, Gaiden tonight. Cheers buddy!

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Persona 5 Tactica (Xbox) 

Glad I played on Game Pass and didn't buy it. Bored within an hour.

Atlus have really milked P5, for all it's worth. 

I didn’t even get that far. I don’t usually like those sorts of games but figured the Persona gimmick would spice it up enough. Wasn’t the case. Chibi graphics are rubbish too.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Version1.0 said:

Bluey: The Videogame had released. 

While charming, sadly, it's only an hour long. 

Presumably it's not aimed at your hardcore gaming dad. An hour seems an adequate length of game for a kid. Shame though as I bet there'd be some people who'd be thrilled to bits by a 30+ hour lore heavy Bluey RPG. Sign me up for a Hey Duggee run & Gun or beat 'em up. I'll play as Roly 

45 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably it's not aimed at your hardcore gaming dad. An hour seems an adequate length of game for a kid. Shame though as I bet there'd be some people who'd be thrilled to bits by a 30+ hour lore heavy Bluey RPG. Sign me up for a Hey Duggee run & Gun or beat 'em up. I'll play as Roly 

It's just a tough sell at £33 for an hour. When it's a fiver on the store then that's fine. Someone please pallete swap Bandit Heeler into an Indiana Jones game.