WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

18 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I believe It Takes Two is on Switch now which gets nothing but universal praise. Rayman Legends is an older one but still incredibly fun.
Unravel 2 is on there but not the prequel unfortunately. If you don’t mind a higher price point you also have Super Mario 3D World which is amazing.

RPG wise it really depends what you’re looking for. If you want classic RPGs then you can get most the upgraded PS1-PS2 Final Fantasy ports on there. If you want something new with an old school feel then you can do worse than Dragon Quest XI S. If you want something completely new you can get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 3 which I hear good things about, or Persona 5 Royal which is ace from start to finish.
If you’re looking for less Japanese RPGs and more action RPG then Skyrim and Breath of The Wild are always worth a go.

Brilliant, thanks so much! Since we only normally get a few hours a week to play, there’s probably enough reccos in there to keep us occupied for years :) 

• Paid Members

I picked up a handful of bits to play around picking up fallout 4 again (having not finished it first time around because I'd explored the map, played a couple of the DLCs but got bored of the main story I've picked up where I left off but I'd like a full replay at some point). 

The Last Of Us - I'd heard nothing but good things so gave it a go. Unfortunately it does feel very uncharted with zombies and I never really clicked with uncharted. The story is good, and clearly a strength, but so far I don't really care about Joel. The opening of his dead daughter is great for setting up potential growth over the journey looking after a young woman in a farther / daughter type story but I'd have preferred that to be hinted at and be a flashback later to create some mystery and have him feel a bit less dull.

So far the puzzle elements have been a bit too simple but I'm sure that'll pick up, and while it's a great game the stealthy creep up to zombies style of play isn't my bag sadly. 

American Fugitive - Fun look, a bit Disco Elysium crossed with GTA 1 and perfect for a quick dip in and out, it lacks depth for a prolonged play as the missions are quite repetitive.

The lack of voice acting isn't an issue for me, I'd rather that than doing it on a budget and it being bad, but the wider audio needs a bit more to it; the option of some in house radio songs or more varied ambient noise would help in my opinion as again it adds to slightly repetitive feel that keeps it a dip in dip out affair. 

The story seems good, out for justice and hints at a conspiracy dotted with a mix of characters. I'd never heard anything of it before so so far it's been a pleasant surprise and a nice game to cycle in of an evening while I'm finishing off a drink. 

Wolfenstein Alt History - started with New Order and was hoping for some ott run and gun FPS nonsense and it delivered. I could do without him shagging the nurse whose been feeding him and wiping his arse for 15 years 10 minutes after getting out a vegetative state mind, even in a game with cyborg nazis that's still weird. 

My only small gripe is it occasionally punishing me because it's not provided a nudge in the layering and building of elements; prime example you drop in a shaft and are immediately chased by K9 and need to sprint off, slide under a pipe and cut a chain in the floor before the robot dog kills you. However it doesn't guide you as to how much time you have or what to look for, so I'd get killed a couple of times knowing there's an escape route I'll need to be lifted out of, crouch under or cut myself but not being given time or guide before to look straight down at my feet when to that point everything like that has been up or sideways with no time pressure, so I'm killed at least once just looking around for the solution before trying to apply it 2nd time out. 

Not played yet but I've also got resident evil 2, because I supprised myself and enjoyed the 1 remake on switch, and destroy all humans as I remember loving it on PS2 and it's something different to cycle in. 

About halfway through Crisis Core, having an absolute blast with it. Some of the environments obviously do speak more to quick bursts of PSP play on the bus, but it's very much a fully fledged action RPG, and sticking it in the Remake coat of paint basically just makes it a Remake spin off that is, in fact, a prequel to the original. The Compilation of Final Fantasy stuff has been a mess in the past, but they've got it right here. There's basically three really good FFVII games on console now. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

The Breakers collection has finally been released. They're a couple of oft-overlooked fighting games that originally came out in the late 90s. They're pretty well balanced. The collection seems to have come out on PlayStation 4 & 5, XBox Series, and presumably One, Steam, and Switch. I know it's £17.99 on Switch, but couldn't vouch for it being that price on the other platforms. It also has cross platform online multiplayer. Worth a look if you're into SNK fighters. The AI can be brutal, but they're a lot of fun to play with friends. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a side tournament at EVO this year. 

On 1/14/2023 at 9:53 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

I had it on XBox One. You'll be far from surprised to hear that the single player mode isn't as good. 

I played Moving Out on the Xbox and really enjoyed it but then I’m easily entertained. Lost a couple of hours on that and Human Fall Flat.

Anyone got opinions on VR headsets for gaming? Been thinking about it for a while since a bloke I know kept banging on about how good Beat Saber is. I’m reluctant to spend that much money though as I don’t want to link it to Facebook, I’m not sure how many games are actually good, and I’m concerned that I’ll play it non-stop for a month and then it’ll end up as a very expensive drawer filler.

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Very impressive set up in the above link. Does anyone know what the OSSC gizmo is? Quite clearly a lot of thought has gone into creating this. Will have to try a find a build thread/video.

I don’t care how much all that cost, I guarantee you the fucker still has joy-con drift.

• Paid Members

Got round to A Plague Tale: Innocence, after getting it on PS+ ages ago. A really good, bleak story, that just about made all the trial and error stealth and bastardfuck segments worth it. The part where you're forced into using the wank-ass sling to kill multiple enemies in short order while Rodric's pushing the cart was infuriating! The rats make for a good setting, tricking people into getting eaten alive by a mob of them is fun.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be in any rush to get round to the sequel, but it's on Game Pass so I may as well. More rats, less clunk and it could be a winner.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

But will the butler be locked in the fridge?

Maybe he'll be following you around with a brew and a sandwich. 

• Paid Members

Borrowing the new Pokemon Scarlet off a mate and the gameplay is the freshest it’s felt in decades. In nearly every other sense though it’s pretty shocking. It has the same trees Mario 64 does.

333A7426-6C22-41C3-ADD5-CAB7138403C6.jpeg