WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 1/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, Nexus said:

I think I had more issue with Scream than I did the final boss battle. 

Yes!! Me too, it's the only boss I had any real trouble with. I died more than once with her, it was a surprisingly tough fight. 

10 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I found Mario Odyssey just ok but enjoyed Bowser's Fury which felt really fresh and exciting.

Me too, I'd be totally fine with them taking that general concept and fleshing it out into a full game. I loved Odyssey, but this felt like it took Mario somewhere that was genuinely different. 

Edited by RedRooster

I'm attempting to play Mirrors Edge Catalyst again after giving up years ago, I'm far further now but I can still see why I stopped playing. Traversal is more complex this time around but by doing so it fucks up even simple movements and has you falling off everything or bugging out and not doing actions, I can see why not many have tried parkour style games as I bet they are a real fucking pain to program.

But like the original, there's a great if janky game in there. You just have to try not throwing the console out of the window...

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

If you're looking for a Mirror's Edge fix I highly recommend Ghostrunner. It has some fiddly puzzle bits that break the fun flow but all the parkour stuff is fantastic. You can get a sense of how it plays from the gameplay trailer 

• Paid Members

Played Mirror's Edge Catalyst last month for the first time without knowing anything about the series. It came out that the servers were going down so I started to get the 2 online trophies locked in before they became unobtainable. Once I got used to the mechanics I found it a really fun game. Ended up finishing it and getting the Platinum, Was dreading the time trials as I'm not great at that kind of thing but they weren't too bad. 

I just started Sleeping Dogs. What a game! Full of cool things including some things I've never encountered before like the mini game where you have to crack the code to surveillance camera by trying different numbers and seeing what fits. I'd always heard it mentioned as one of those great games that always remained quite obscure. Basically GTA set in Hong Kong but I can tell I'm going to have a tremendous time on this journey! 

5 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I just started Sleeping Dogs. What a game! Full of cool things including some things I've never encountered before like the mini game where you have to crack the code to surveillance camera by trying different numbers and seeing what fits. I'd always heard it mentioned as one of those great games that always remained quite obscure. Basically GTA set in Hong Kong but I can tell I'm going to have a tremendous time on this journey

Yep. It’s an absolute joy. Using the cctv to identify drug dealers was my favourite mini game. 

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

If you're looking for a Mirror's Edge fix I highly recommend Ghostrunner. It has some fiddly puzzle bits that break the fun flow but all the parkour stuff is fantastic. You can get a sense of how it plays from the gameplay trailer 

I tried the demo when it came out and hated it.. it seemed to rely too much on trial and error and had that artificial difficulty I can't stand.

• Paid Members

Ah shame, it's the trial & error stuff I really loved about it. Being able to go again and again until I felt like everything came together and nailed it. I think it's the closest I've come to the feeling I had playing Super Meat Boy (one of my Top 10 all-time games). 

• Paid Members

The melee combat was my favourite thing about Sleeping Dogs, so much fun to just wade into a gang of thugs and beat them all up single handedly. Don't think it's been bettered by any other game. The skill tree progression felt very well balanced, I liked that you had to go to the martial arts dojo to learn the new techniques. By the end of the game you feel nearly invincible in those fights, but it doesn't stop being satisfying!

• Paid Members

Currently playing Arkham City and... weirdly, I'm just not feeling it. It's keeping me going, but possibly I'm feeling a bit spoilt after playing Spider-Man and Sleeping Dogs, and feeling they do everything better. I don't dislike it - but I'm just finding it okay.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Currently playing Arkham City and... weirdly, I'm just not feeling it. It's keeping me going, but possibly I'm feeling a bit spoilt after playing Spider-Man and Sleeping Dogs, and feeling they do everything better. I don't dislike it - but I'm just finding it okay.

I felt like it was a step down from Asylum. Although as someone with no interest in the comics, one thing I really liked in Asylum was unearthing the backstory of each villain and finding out why they became they way they are. 

City while not fully going down the route like Knight did did go slightly "Ubisoft" in it's open world, felt like it was following a trend rather than going in that direction organically.

Asylum always felt best when it was that tightly crafted detective noir.

Edited by Merzbow