WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

With Elden Ring being the big thing right now I'm surprised they didn't announce Demon's Souls as one of the first games, that could have been a good hook.

But Sony have said it won't be releasing big games to the service like Microsoft do with Gamepass.

I think they are releasing big games as its Launching with Spider-Man and Returnal. Looks like they have said that its just not cost effective for them to launch on day one like Microsoft do on Game Pass with their first party games. 

Games were scary in the first place?

The Cat Lady is easily my favourite horror game of the past decade, very fucking dark and touches on sensitive topics but also mature and intelligent while doing it. I'm not sure I'd ever play it again, it was great to see my own mental health issues written about in this way and ended up being very cathartic but man did I feel like shit at times.

• Paid Members

IMG_7366.thumb.png.42be2d155f94c4149a3df4d266d89d11.png

Two weeks ago during Covid and with tons of time to kill, I revisited GTA III and conquered Liberty City once again. I thought once I'd beaten the 'rona and my life returned to normality, I'd probably played through an entire GTA game again for the last time. After all, unless I contract Covid again, when am I going to have that amount of free time to dedicate to it? 

Then, following on from Covid, I collected the booby prize of a chest infection. Which was shit, but, having caught the GTA bug again, I decided to take a flight out to Vice City, and beat that fucker as well. It took me a week, but Tommy Vercetti and I did the business once again. Some thoughts, feelings and emotions below - 

- Unlike GTA III, I found this iOS port much tougher to navigate. It could be my actual device or even just my grubby mitts, but I found movement in general to be very, very tricky. Everything from just moving Tommy around, vehicle and weapon control, everything. Had this been smoother, I'm confident I could have completed the game in a much quicker timeframe. The unique jumps with the PCJ were an absolute cunt to complete on this version for instance - in some cases you'd have to switch to analogue steering just to get enough torque.

- However, the actual look of the game is incredible, the lighting and general design still look amazing and it holds up well considering it's 20 years old, and to cram all of this information onto a mobile device is quite something. Again, no stone is left unturned and every jump, rampage, package, mission, everything is re-booted beautifully. 

- The soundtrack in this game is fucking outrageously good. Still to this day the best of any GTA game IMO. That makes playing through the game again worthwhile, even if you struggle a bit with the controls.  

- Having dived straight into this from GTA III, the contrast in terms of the quality of the storyline is remarkable. You really feel like you're building an empire with Tommy and the characters intertwine throughout quite nicely. Tommy V is still their best lead character - even better than Trevor in GTA V for me. Ray Liotta put in a fucking great turn for this. 

- The rifle/shooting challenge is an absolute killer, again because of the aforementioned movement issues I had, but in general it doesn't translate well to the mobile port. I had instances where the aiming would glitch out and all of a sudden your aim would be pointing at the bastard ceiling. Beating that took off far too many hours of my life. 

- The Import/Export lists from Sunshine Autos were all fine, with one exception - I spent a whole day looking for one of those bastard golf caddies. There never seemed to be one parked up outside the course or any circling the course itself, or the road adjacent. Painful. 

- I found playing through all of the different side quests to vary in terms of enjoyment. The rampages were really enjoyable - mostly easy, but just delightful, mindless violence. Others, like the miscellaneous RC plane missions and the chopper checkpoints felt a bit pointless and a bit of a slog. Doing 100 taxi missions is pretty tedious. However, the 'Brown Thunder' vigilante missions in the Hunter were great fun once I got used to controlling it. Blowing up multiple cars with rockets with V-Rock on full blast was an absolute joy. 

- Overall, it's still a wonderful port, still a wonderful game, and if you've got the time to dedicate to it I'd at least recommend playing through the main story missions and some of the special property missions again. I didn't get a warm, glowing, fuzzy feeling getting the 100% this time, but if you strip the fat there's still hours of enjoyment to be had here. 

- I'm now back at work full-time, so I don't think there's any chance of flying across to San Andreas for another crack at that. Just looking at the 100% list for that gives me anxiety. I don't think I've got it in me to search for every gang tag, every oyster, every photo op, complete every courier mission, every Chilliad challenge, every trucking mission, going from Los Santos to the country, desert, Las Venturas and back again. I think it would break me. @Devon Malcolm, convince me otherwise. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

- I'm now back at work full-time, so I don't think there's any chance of flying across to San Andreas for another crack at that. Just looking at the 100% list for that gives me anxiety. I don't think I've got it in me to search for every gang tag, every oyster, every photo op, complete every courier mission, every Chilliad challenge, every trucking mission, going from Los Santos to the country, desert, Las Venturas and bank again. I think it would break me. @Devon Malcolm, convince me otherwise. 

Hey man, I do it every Christmas without fail. It's my Christmas treat! You got this.

I actually used to dread the really long drives but as I've got older I've actually come to enjoy them more. They're real anxiety killers.

• Paid Members

Inordinately excited about this!

Curse Of Monkey Island is one of my favourite point and click games, maybe my favourite in the Monkey Island series, but it was created without Ron Gilbert, and handwaved the plot twist at the end of Monkey Island 2 away. Gilbert always insisted that he had his own idea in mind for Monkey Island 3, and possibly 4, that was never used, and that likely never would. That he's actually doing a direct sequel to Monkey Island 2 at long last is very, very exciting. I wonder if he's going to render the subsequent games no longer canon, or if there's going to be some plot device and narrative jiggery-pokery to somehow bring them all together - I'm betting on the latter, but fascinated as to how he gets there. 

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Inordinately excited about this!

Curse Of Monkey Island is one of my favourite point and click games, maybe my favourite in the Monkey Island series, but it was created without Ron Gilbert, and handwaved the plot twist at the end of Monkey Island 2 away. Gilbert always insisted that he had his own idea in mind for Monkey Island 3, and possibly 4, that was never used, and that likely never would. That he's actually doing a direct sequel to Monkey Island 2 at long last is very, very exciting. I wonder if he's going to render the subsequent games no longer canon, or if there's going to be some plot device and narrative jiggery-pokery to somehow bring them all together - I'm betting on the latter, but fascinated as to how he gets there. 

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Holy shit! I'm so excited for this. Monkey Island 2 is probably my favourite game ever, mainly for nostalgia reasons, but I just love the whole world. It makes me smile just thinking about it. I never believed Ron Gilbert would be involved in another Monkey Island game, this news has made my year. 

• Paid Members

I'm playing fire pro world again and getting some caws from the site but after I've downloaded them some then tell me I'm missing parts I need to subscribe to with a number but I'll be buggered if I can find what I need to do. Anyone able to help? 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm playing fire pro world again and getting some caws from the site but after I've downloaded them some then tell me I'm missing parts I need to subscribe to with a number but I'll be buggered if I can find what I need to do. Anyone able to help? 

Is it because the missing parts are from DLC wrestlers? 

• Paid Members
On 4/3/2022 at 11:52 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Hey man, I do it every Christmas without fail. It's my Christmas treat! You got this.

I actually used to dread the really long drives but as I've got older I've actually come to enjoy them more. They're real anxiety killers.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:53 PM, PunkStep said:

If you don't finish San Andreas again on your mobile, having completed the other two, how will you live with yourself? You're going to have to do it I'm afraid. Follow that damn train.

3B1D9603-18BD-4A62-AB23-2393BB29BD88.thumb.png.e7fd62bf3149314f3899d76472acd63e.png

🥲

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is it because the missing parts are from DLC wrestlers? 

One is, as it says about DLC in the message, but the rest say something about subscribing to custom part number xxxxxxx.