Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

Was his fight with Chris Eubank being sanctioned with the WBC? I don't get why they are involved. All of his previous fights he's been defending a WBA belt.

Not that it means a jot. WBC is a sanctioning body. BBBoC is a governing body, who hold all the cards to his future.

He is getting a bit silly now saying stupid things. I heard saw post, that he could beat Chris Algieri and Chris van Heerden on the same night within 2 rounds. With drug testing every week.

The amount of egg shit going to be thrown his way now. If he does come back and fight in the UK. Surely, Sam Eggington is going to be the comeback fight 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Rossman said:

The amount of egg shit going to be thrown his way now. If he does come back and fight in the UK. Surely, Sam Eggington is going to be the comeback fight 

Chuck him in against Ted Cheeseman and you’ve got yourself an omelette. 

• Paid Members

So Josh Taylor v Teofimo Lopez on June 10th. That should be an interesting fight. Hopefully Taylor will be more motivated by this fight than he was for the Catterall fight, if not Teofimo might flatten him. Having said that Teofimo needs to up his motivation as well, a majority decision win over Sandor Martin is hardly world title winning form. 

5 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So Josh Taylor v Teofimo Lopez on June 10th. That should be an interesting fight. Hopefully Taylor will be more motivated by this fight than he was for the Catterall fight, if not Teofimo might flatten him. Having said that Teofimo needs to up his motivation as well, a majority decision win over Sandor Martin is hardly world title winning form. 

The (unconfirmed) word on the Scottish street is that there was a few personal issues Taylor was dealing with heading into the Catterall fight and that if it hadn't been a homecoming of sorts he'd have pulled out of the fight.

Hopefully he's back to his usual best against Lopez.

53 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I saw someone (who I actually like and respect sporting views of, albeit in a Spurs sense) say that prime Amir Khan would've really caused problems for Floyd Mayweather in a fight. 

This is absolutely mental right? I can't quite fathom how someone makes that claim. 

It's an interesting one for sure. 

For Khan, his kryptonite was always his glass jaw. How many times would he be boxing beautifully only to then get caught by a rogue shot to the chin and go into baby deer in the headlights mode? 

Khan in his prime was fast. People tend to forget just how good he was against the likes of Judah, Malignaggi, and Maidana. 

I'm guessing people believe that Floyd wasn't the hardest puncher and wouldn't have caught Khan in the same way that Garcia or even Canelo did, and that Khan could have given Floyd issues with his speed and his own punching power.

However, while Mayweather wasn't a knock-out artist by any stretch, it is worth remembering the absolute battering he handed out to Ricky Hatton, who is someone many thought wouldn't be stopped by someone like Floyd.

It's a fight I would have loved to see. And dare I say, would even like to see now. Mayweather is still doing the rounds with these exhibition fights, and one against Khan would still be interesting.

• Paid Members

In what will come as a huge surprise to no-one the Fury-Usyk seems to have stalled. Having seen an interview with Usyk's manager he said they had agreed 50/50 purse split, then Fury, who definitely isn't fighting for the money said he needed more money than that. So Alex Krassyuk offered them 60/40 with the winner taking the he 60 and that seems to have been turned down as well.

I know there is negotiation process, but winner getting 60% of the money in an undisputed heavyweight title fight is a pretty good deal. Is this just a case of Fury not wanting it because he feels that beating a *Middleweight " even for the undisputed title doesn't gain him anything, which is hard to believe considering he has just fought Derek Chisora, or is it money, or is it something else?

44 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

In what will come as a huge surprise to no-one the Fury-Usyk seems to have stalled. Having seen an interview with Usyk's manager he said they had agreed 50/50 purse split, then Fury, who definitely isn't fighting for the money said he needed more money than that. So Alex Krassyuk offered them 60/40 with the winner taking the he 60 and that seems to have been turned down as well.

I know there is negotiation process, but winner getting 60% of the money in an undisputed heavyweight title fight is a pretty good deal. Is this just a case of Fury not wanting it because he feels that beating a *Middleweight " even for the undisputed title doesn't gain him anything, which is hard to believe considering he has just fought Derek Chisora, or is it money, or is it something else?

Probably a mix of money and Fury not being quite right in the head. His behaviour is erratic, as we've seen. I doubt there's much more to it than that.

I wouldn't want to be his promoter though. Imagine taking the time to negotiate a deal just for him to wake up one morning and decide he wants to change it all?