Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Lots on social media about Chisora the past few days. He's all over the place, I don't see him retiring any time soon though.

He's the boxing equivalent of late 80s Jake Roberts at this point. He is the guy you fight before you fight the champion, except now the champion is either Hulk Hogan who took the Peds but didn't do the workouts or a Ukrainian crazy man. 

• Paid Members

Who'd have thought that Amir Khan was on the roids for the Brook fight? They are claiming he didn't take it intentionally and he has a 2 year ban backdated to last April. Considering he is retired that is not really a punishment. At least no eggs were harmed. 

• 1 month later...

I think we know how this all plays out.

Fury is "reported" to be in talks with anyone over 14 and a half stone who can lace up a pair of gloves, then we suddenly hear that negotiations with Usyk are back on and the deal is signed for the Middle East.

Sure as shit.

• 1 month later...

So, according to Jake Paul, backed up by Helwani, there's some confusion over what Ngannou is earning for this fight with Fury. It's been widely reported that it's $8 million. Both Helwani and Paul are saying that's wrong. They're saying it's actually an 8 figure sum, not $8 million.

So we're looking at $10 million minimum. 

I know this may not prove popular, but has anyone else listened to what Frank Warren has said lately on his media rounds? And thought that it actually made some sense when it comes to Fury?

I know he rambles on a bit, but when you actually listen to his explanation of certain parties looking for fights in Saudi where the money is, you can see why they didn't happen. 

I'm not blaming Usyk or Joshua, by the way. You take the money when you can get it, but that's the reason they didn't want a 60/40 split against Fury in the UK. A 60/40 split at Wembley is going to amount to way less than they'd get in Saudi. And apparently the Saudi promoter that works with Usyk and AJ can't get anything done until first quarter of 2024. 

Fury works with a different promoter over there, which is why he's got the Ngannou fight sorted earlier. His fight has been booked to kick off some Saudi festival or something. But both AJ and Usyk seemingly can't work with that promoter without having their own teams involved. While Ngannou is unattached in that respect, so he's easier to work with.

Usyk has basically been ordered to fight Dubois otherwise he loses his title. That's his mandatory, I think. While Joshua is fighting against Whyte. 

Both of them are basically spinning their wheels until they can fight in Saudi. Which is why Usyk is fighting in Poland, and Joshua in the UK.

It also seems that Fury's WBC mandatory was supposed to be the winner of a fight between Wilder and Ruiz, and neither of them have agreed to fight each other, so the mandatory slot has been left in limbo, effectively.

With all of that said, having listened to Warren and his reasoning, Fury was left with three options.

Sit out until 1st quarter of 2024 when both AJ and Usyk are able to fight in Saudi. Sit out until a mandatory is determined by the muppets at the WBC. Or face Ngannou in October then face Usyk or AJ in March of next year in Saudi.

The latter option makes more sense as it's as close to guaranteed money for as little effort as you're going to ever see. Meanwhile it seems that both Usyk and AJ (quite rightly) aren't wanting to fight Fury until the Saudi dates are available and they can maximise for profit. And I imagine Fury is of the same mindset. Save the big fights for the Saudi's where they'll get mega-money.

Just like football and golf, the Saudi's are fucking up boxing. 

Edited by David

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The plan seems to be to keep Anthony Joshua on the card Saturday, rumors are talks are ongoing to have AJ fight Gerald Washington who was due to fight Derek Chisora on the night. Personally, I have no issue with that. Eddie Hearn is going to do all he can to avoid another Andy Ruiz situation, especially on 7 days notice when there's a proposed Deontay Wilder fight in the pipeline.I expect a huge backlash if that's announced though.

I think most people looking at the situation would call for AJ to fight Filip Hrgovic who is already in the co-main event, but I don't think there's any chance of them enteraining that.

• Paid Members

Given that they've never fought, I'm genuinely surprised there's been no attempt to make Joshua vs. Chisora. Despite having a dodgy record stats-wise, Chisora still draws, it would appear, and it would be a winnable fight for AJ while still maintaining an element of risk with Chisora's style.