Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'd seen that kind of thing before the fight had got signed, but it's already been announced that it's standard boxing over 10 rounds hasn't it? no belts on the line.

Looking like whatever fight AJ ends up taking Saturday will not be on PPV and on standard DAZN too, which leads me to believe even more that the fight will be with Gerald Washington.

• Paid Members

Well here it is:

20230808_110827.thumb.jpg.bea6f229827d015c19beaed9e5d12996.jpg

Considering Helenius was chinned by Wilder in a round last year I expect a backlash, but it is what it is at this late stage I guess, and AJ scoring a KO would be big for him at this stage.

As I said before, AJ is looking to get something in before his Saudi promoter, Skill Challenge Entertainment, arranges his next fight in Saudi early next year. It doesn't really matter who it is, does it? As long as he stays active and keeps winning. Amer Abdallah, their Head of Boxing, has said that he has no issue with that as long as AJ wins.

It's still a risk for AJ, and he has to be commended for it. A loss to Whyte would have been damaging enough, but a loss to Helenius would effectively kill off the big fight with Wilder in Q1 of 2024 in Saudi. 

If any of us still have hopes of seeing the top four at heavyweight face each other, we need AJ to win, Usyk to get past his mandatory, and Fury to see off Ngannou. That happening will see us get the big fights at some point between January and March of next year.

• Paid Members

Yeah they had to keep AJ on the card and keep him active, its good for his 'rebuilding process', not to mention DAZN needing Joshua to fight because they need to provide for subcribers. 

You've changed your tune though David, you were the one openly mocking Joshua when he chose to fight Andy Ruiz on a week or so's notice a few years back ;)

• Paid Members

Even if all the results work out and Fury, Usyk, AJ and Wilder are all coming off wins towards the end of the year, I’m not convinced those fights happen. Just seems like there’ll always be something stopping them. One of them’s gonna go and lose anyway now. You just know it. I get most of the politics shit and financial reasons why the fights haven’t happened yet but as a fan it’s frustrating to the point it’s killing my interest in the division altogether that these fights haven’t already happened by now. Not so much Fury vs Usyk because that one’s relatively new in terms of their history and build up for the fight. But the AJ vs Fury and Wilder fights should’ve been in the history books before the Saudi thing even became a factor. It’s dragged out to fuck now. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

You've changed your tune though David, you were the one openly mocking Joshua when he chose to fight Andy Ruiz on a week or so's notice a few years back ;)

Big difference though, he was the champion and "the man" back then. He needs to generate some wins and interest, not to mention confidence now.

36 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Even if all the results work out and Fury, Usyk, AJ and Wilder are all coming off wins towards the end of the year, I’m not convinced those fights happen. Just seems like there’ll always be something stopping them. One of them’s gonna go and lose anyway now. You just know it. I get most of the politics shit and financial reasons why the fights haven’t happened yet but as a fan it’s frustrating to the point it’s killing my interest in the division altogether that these fights haven’t already happened by now. Not so much Fury vs Usyk because that one’s relatively new in terms of their history and build up for the fight. But the AJ vs Fury and Wilder fights should’ve been in the history books before the Saudi thing even became a factor. It’s dragged out to fuck now. 

It's a weird situation, caused primarily by Saudi inflating the market to obscene levels.

I'm not entirely sure why Usyk and AJ can't fight in Saudi until January 2024 at the earliest. It's possibly to do with them switching promoter for that part of the world to the Skill Challenge Entertainment organisation. They may be tied to their previous promoter until then, which is why they're in Saudi limbo of sorts for now.

Otherwise, why else is Usyk fighting in a 45,000 seat stadium in Poland and not in Saudi? Same with AJ? Both of those guys in Saudi, even for the fights they have at the moment, would make more money than they will fighting in the UK and Poland.

Fury is in a different camp, with his fight against Ngannou being promoted by Riyadh Season, which is Saudi Arabia's state-sponsored entertainment and sports festival happening the week of the fight. And obviously Ngannou isn't tied to any actual Saudi promoter. For now, anyway.

The end game is that we're left with a Mexican stand-off of sorts. None of Fury, AJ, Wilder or Usyk wants to face the other outside of Saudi, because they see doing that as basically wasting a big fight when they could make more money in Saudi.

It's a dangerous game to play, because if any of them lose before that it vastly decreases interest in the fights. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The first press conference face off yesterday. First time I think i'd actually felt a bit of a buzz for this, think it finally dawned on me that we are gonna get to this happen. I should know better and know that the fight will likely be very anti-climatic, but it's worth going on the ride so why not?

F5cZ8XyXwAEMTge.thumb.jpg.e341b3764d4fd7163f1fb1219dec4479.jpg

The real talking point of the whole event was Fabio Wardley and David Adeleye going at it on the red carpet. They were there to announce their British Title fight co-main event but Wardley ending up getting dropped by some random bloke and suffered cuts to his eye and chin putting the fight in jeopardy. Shambles. I'm not sure who the guy was but some people are saying he's a PFL fighter, I don't recognise him though.

I'm hoping with a month or so still to go that Fury will come into the fight in better shape. Because looking at him at that face-off, he's not looking like a man who's taking this seriously.

And we all know that for as good as Fury is, when he comes in not at 100% mentally and not focused he can be caught.

• Paid Members

I’m under no illusions that it won’t actually happen but I’d love to see Ngannou somehow pull off the upset and spark him. Heavyweight boxing is arse at the minute and it doesn’t seem like we’re ever gonna see Fury against Usyk anyway so fuck it.

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m under no illusions that it won’t actually happen but I’d love to see Ngannou somehow pull off the upset and spark him. Heavyweight boxing is arse at the minute and it doesn’t seem like we’re ever gonna see Fury against Usyk anyway so fuck it.

The thing is, if Ngannou is going to beat any top-ranked heavyweight, it would be Fury, weirdly. As I said, he's notorious for fighting to the level of his opposition. That's why he can absolutely spank Wilder, yet go the distance with Otto Wallin and take ten rounds to get rid of Chisora.

If he comes in respecting the power of Ngannou, then he'll win easily. If he half-arses his training camp and treats the fight as a joke? He probably still wins but runs a greater risk of getting clobbered by a man who is capable of sparking any human on the planet if he connects with their chin.

1 minute ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

In fairness they said the same about Wilder.

Yeah, but Fury took Wilder very seriously. As I said, Fury tends to box to the level of the opponent. If he takes Ngannou lightly (and lets be honest, if this was AJ or Usyk Fury was fighting, he wouldn't be in the shape he's in) he could end up getting cracked. Unlikely, yes, but more possible with every less fuck that Fury gives.