Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

33 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

t's clearly a different mindset isn't it David and tells a lot about you and how we are different. I'm not motivated by money, I'm motivated by what difference I can make to the people around me and the world n general. I give my time and my effort to things that make me no money, but help others and hopefully make a lasting change for the better.  If that makes me a mug I'm proud to be one. For you it seems to be all about the money. That tells me a lot about you. It's also strange that you think that a man who has recently fought in the army of his country against an invasion doesn't think about legacy. Again that says a lot about you

I'll reply to this for the benefit of others who are killing time on a wet Thursday reading the forum, since you've thrown your toys out the pram and carried out the internet version of the old fingers in the ears trick when someone says something you don't like.

Here's my question. You claim that Usyk isn't needing the money as he's worth around £45 million, and is doing this for his legacy. Yet, you say Tyson Fury is mostly motivated by money despite his net worth safely being far higher than that of Usyk. I'm sure Fury could easily afford Playstations (and megadrives, if that's your bag) for all with the cash he's made.

These guys are professional prize fighters. They certainly enjoy the gravitas of being undisputed champions and having a legacy for sure, but the reason they fight is money. And rightly so. They're being punched in the head for our entertainment, so they should be paid for it. If they end up sitting around in their 50's and 60's slurring their words, forgetting family members names and suchlike it's money that pays for their medical care. It's money that they can then hand to their children and grandchildren as some form of compensation for ol' grandad being a bit slow and doddery a lot earlier in life than most men. Legacy matters not a fucking jot when the realities of a life of having your brain rattled around inside your skull by heavy-handed boxers starts to take its toll. 

If you believe Usyk is a fighter on some sort of higher moral ground who is only concerned with legacy while Fury is only interested in money and cares not a jot for legacy then I think you are, for want of a better term, a mug. 

They both want to get paid for their efforts. Everyone crying about how the much-respected Ukrainian war hero Usyk is happy to accept a 70/30 split in Fury's favour are ignoring the fact that to counter that he's asking for a rematch clause which would likely see the reverse happen if he won the first fight.

There's a financial method to his seeming legacy-flavoured madness. 

Put simply, don't believe the internet and social media hype. You're better than that. 

EDIT: Forgot to say, that I and most others here are all suitably impressed by you "big upping" yourself as a man not motivated by money. To that little self congratulatory diatribe I can only say well done, we're all very proud.

As a piece of constructive criticism, if I may, I'd suggest you may want to try teaming those virtuous qualities mentioned above with maybe not gazing down from your moral pedestal upon others in quite a superior, sneering manner. It kind of ruins the initial positives.

Edited by David

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's clearly a different mindset isn't it David and tells a lot about you and how we are different. I'm not motivated by money, I'm motivated by what difference I can make to the people around me and the world n general. I give my time and my effort to things that make me no money, but help others and hopefully make a lasting change for the better.  If that makes me a mug I'm proud to be one. For you it seems to be all about the money. That tells me a lot about you. It's also strange that you think that a man who has recently fought in the army of his country against an invasion doesn't think about legacy. Again that says a lot about you

I've always been a Megadrive man really. Thanks for the offer though. 

I had you on ignore before, but when I came back I thought I'd give you another go. Turns out that you are still the same condescending prick you were before. Back to ignore it is. 

I've had him on ignore for about four years now. 

On 3/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, David said:

And that's a few times you've mentioned a Playstation. Do you want a Playstation? I could go the extra mile and buy an extra one if you want? PM me your address 😉

Listen, you offered me one a few years ago, so I'm first in line thanks :)

• Paid Members

So Fast Car has recognised that Frankie Fish Eyes and Sky have been able to use the line that "DAZN is just an app, no one will see you box" to help them sign fighters and has got DAZN on Sky channel 429. I don't know if it will help subscriber numbers, but it can't hurt.