Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 3/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

In what will come as a huge surprise to no-one the Fury-Usyk seems to have stalled. Having seen an interview with Usyk's manager he said they had agreed 50/50 purse split, then Fury, who definitely isn't fighting for the money said he needed more money than that. So Alex Krassyuk offered them 60/40 with the winner taking the he 60 and that seems to have been turned down as well.

I know there is negotiation process, but winner getting 60% of the money in an undisputed heavyweight title fight is a pretty good deal. Is this just a case of Fury not wanting it because he feels that beating a *Middleweight " even for the undisputed title doesn't gain him anything, which is hard to believe considering he has just fought Derek Chisora, or is it money, or is it something else?

Been following this today and Fury put out a video saying it’s a 70/30 split now, which is fucking ridiculous and obviously an offer so silly he thought Usyk and his team would tell them to piss off. Instead Usyk’s called his bluff and accepted the 70/30! A bunch of Boxing Twitter accounts are running with it as if the fight is on now but no doubt Fury will move the goalposts again now and say it’s 80/20. At this rate Usyk will have to pay to fight Fury. 

• Paid Members

I really hope it gets done, but reading Boxing twitter today it really feels like the community has turned on Fury. It's the AJ situation all over again, just constant lies and bullshit negotiations via angry phone videos, it's tiring and it's very apparent to everyone now that it's Fury that's the problem.

• Paid Members

Having read a bit more it turns out Usyk has played a blinder to get the fight. For Usyk it really is about legacy rather than money, although you have to suspect that he knows that 30% of an undisputed title purse is more money than he would have ever made at cruiserweight. Telling Fury he would accept immediately if Fury pledged a million quid to the Ukraine plus 1% of the purse for every day the deal isn't done has called Fury's bluff in the biggest way possible. Fair play Usyk. 

This is still dragging on. It's a spectacularly bad look for Fury tbh. I'm seeing alot of his casual fanbase now turning on him now on social media. The more hardcore boxing were thinking wtf a while ago. The fight is supposdly 6 weeks out!

I'm thinking even if a contract is signed Fury gets "injured" in the build up tbh. 

• Paid Members

Is there possibly a site or page someone can direct me to that has upcoming boxing cards and who is showing it

My dad is in his 70's and like clockwork the past few Saturday nights I'm getting the call "is there any boxing" followed by "what's it on"

Any help is greatly appreciated 

On 3/11/2023 at 10:48 AM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Having read a bit more it turns out Usyk has played a blinder to get the fight. For Usyk it really is about legacy rather than money, although you have to suspect that he knows that 30% of an undisputed title purse is more money than he would have ever made at cruiserweight. Telling Fury he would accept immediately if Fury pledged a million quid to the Ukraine plus 1% of the purse for every day the deal isn't done has called Fury's bluff in the biggest way possible. Fair play Usyk. 

I don't think its about legacy for Usyk, it's easy for him to take the position he is when he's clearly the "B side" to this equation at the moment. Like it or not, he's not the draw that madman Fury is, and he knows it.

If he beats Fury you'll quickly see him focus more on money than legacy, especially if he wins in spectacular fashion. Because the last time I checked a legacy doesn't pay for the big house, nice cars, or put the kids through expensive colleges and schools.

18 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

This is still dragging on. It's a spectacularly bad look for Fury tbh. I'm seeing alot of his casual fanbase now turning on him now on social media. The more hardcore boxing were thinking wtf a while ago. The fight is supposdly 6 weeks out!

I'm thinking even if a contract is signed Fury gets "injured" in the build up tbh. 

Tyson Fury seems to be a man on some sort of mental spectrum. He isn't firing on all cylinders. If he wasn't the size he is with the boxing ability he has he'd be the local village berk. But, lets not forget that when you finally get him focused, the gloves are laced up and he's in a boxing ring he's pretty fucking awesome at the sport.

I think if and when a contract is signed the fight will go ahead, and I think Fury will win in fairly standard fashion, either by stopping a tired Usyk late on or by a fairly sizeable decision.

This whole situation is either Fury being Fury and just fucking about with no real reason behind it because that's what he does, or it will turn out to be the greatest masterstroke in heavyweight boxing marketing and promotion for a long time. 

When he smashed up Deontay Wilder the whole world was saying that he is pretty much untouchable in the division. No one can match what he has to offer. It was assumed he could only outbox his opponents and wasn't a real finisher. He then went on to pretty much clobber Wilder into such a state that his corner threw in the towel in the second fight, and Wilder finished the third fight face down on the canvas. He showed he could front up the hardest hitter in the division, get knocked down, caught clean, get up and win that battle. 

At that point no one thought Usyk had a real chance. Fury was too big and too skilled, and had now shown that when he wants to he can inflict serious damage on an opponent as well as outbox them.

But, with all the messing about and Fury being a shithouse we're now at a point where casual fans think that he's scared, and all of a sudden Usyk is seen as a legitimate threat. 

The Wilder wins have been forgotten about, and people are believers in this being a real contest. Which means they'll buy the event, which may not have really been the case not that long ago.

By simply doing nothing Usyk has grown his legend to such an extent that fans believe a man who is 6 inches shorter, has 7 inches less reach, and likely will weigh a good 50lbs less has Fury running scared. 

Like I said, either a promotional master stroke or just Fury being a shithouse. But let's at least acknowledge that it has absolutely nothing to do with him being afraid of the fight. This is a guy who literally got off the couch to face Wilder in their first fight when all and sundry were advising against it.

He's annoying as fuck, but he's scared on no one.

• Paid Members

Usyk has a net worth of around £45 million, his cleaner is never going to be short of a playstation and his kids can go to whatever university they want. 

I don't think Fury is scared, I think he is mostly motivated by money no matter how much he protests he isn't. That he is a shithouse is beyond dispute. 

21 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Usyk has a net worth of around £45 million, his cleaner is never going to be short of a playstation and his kids can go to whatever university they want. 

Still, if you buy into the whole "legacy" nonsense then you're a mug. Nothing wrong with that, of course. 

And that's a few times you've mentioned a Playstation. Do you want a Playstation? I could go the extra mile and buy an extra one if you want? PM me your address 😉

Edited by David

• Paid Members

It's clearly a different mindset isn't it David and tells a lot about you and how we are different. I'm not motivated by money, I'm motivated by what difference I can make to the people around me and the world n general. I give my time and my effort to things that make me no money, but help others and hopefully make a lasting change for the better.  If that makes me a mug I'm proud to be one. For you it seems to be all about the money. That tells me a lot about you. It's also strange that you think that a man who has recently fought in the army of his country against an invasion doesn't think about legacy. Again that says a lot about you

I've always been a Megadrive man really. Thanks for the offer though. 

I had you on ignore before, but when I came back I thought I'd give you another go. Turns out that you are still the same condescending prick you were before. Back to ignore it is.