Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

all signs are pointing towards Jake Paul fighting Hasim Rahman Jr. now that Tommy Fury is out. Rahman Jr. is of course the son of former Heavyweight Champ Hasim Rahman. He's 12-1 a pro and has over 100 amateur fights. I don't think he's anything special but he's a decent level pro boxer. If the fix ain't in, I think this may be the end of the Jake Paul run.

hasim-rahman-sr-and-jr--1606587206.jpg.3fec8f1f59506a04498acfe9b1439906.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

I don't know why anyone is taking the Jake Paul stuff seriously. He's a sideshow attraction. If he's not fighting guys smaller than him with next to no boxing experience he's looking to face people he knows and has worked with before.

With the money on offer I'm willing to bet they could have found a decent young pro early in his career that isn't associated to Paul quite easily. I bet Eddie Hearn would have happily put someone from his stable forward, but no. 

It's a farce. I expect Rahman Jr to fall in the middle rounds.

Just now, Egg Shen said:

i definitely don't take it seriously, i do however find it very entertaining.

Oh yeah, it's entertaining. I hope he continues down the road of fighting semi-pros and ex-UFC guys, because we all know that once he faces a real boxer of any skill he'll likely get beaten and the fun train comes to an abrupt halt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Paul/Rahman is off, Paul claiming that Rahman was trying to get the fight go ahead at a higher weight.

Who knows at this point? it's a circus. Can't help but feel the whole thing was a ploy by Jake Paul to score credibility by making it appear that he was willing to fight a "real" boxer though. Guess i'm the sucker for getting caught up in the whole shebang. Shambles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I stuck it in the Fight Announcement thread but thought it should go here too. Benn/Eubank is confirmed for October 8th. There were holdups, but it's clearly been close to being set for weeks. What a barmy fight. 

I remember the talk about a potential Benn/Eubank fight when Connor Benn first turned pro, and it was one of those fights anyone in the know dismissed because Benn was so behind Eubank, not the mention the massive size difference. The idea of the Benn/Eubank story being continued by the sons was just an idea people wanted to believe could happen, and now it is happening.

The build up to this is going to be next level, you know both Dad's are going to be all over it, and you just know the son's are not going to get on. Connor Benn is probably the most intense man in UK Boxing, and the fact that many are gonna doubt him here due to the natural size difference is just gonna fuel everything, not to mention the fact that neither man is gonna wanna lose to the guy's who name is attached to one of the biggest boxing rivalries in British boxing history, if not the biggest. 

I'm not really sure how it's come about. Connor Benn has slowly been climbing the ranks to a World Title, the build has been slow and strategic, Chris Eubank has been in promotional limbo for years, fighting on pretty much every platform there is in the UK for boxing and has never really moved onto legit world level, this fight just seems like a complete left turn. It probably speaks the state Matchroom is in with DAZN, there's constant talk that the deal is not going too well, fighters are leaving the stable one after the other and the UK schedule is clearly weaker than it was a couple of years ago. This feels like an 'all in' type fight to try and salvage things for the deal. I'm not complaining.