Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Pleasantly surprised at that. Hopefully it sticks. All that talk of fighting Conor Benn or even Eubank Jr did nothing for me really. And as good as he looked in the Khan fight, I think that was mostly because 1) Khan was the fight he’d been chasing forever and probably the last one he could really get up for. And 2) Khan’s looking pretty much shot. I don’t think Brook would’ve had another one of those performances in him against a younger and fresher opponent. And he really couldn’t have asked for a much better way to go out than beating Amir Khan who was his career arch nemesis. 

D7323FE5-BADE-4E86-A201-E84527EA2927.jpeg

• Paid Members

Amir Khan followed suit...

what a run!

Its crazy thinking that being a fan over a long period of time allowed me to watch fighters entire careers. I think I missed one Khan fight since the Olympic final, and that was the Breidis Prescott fight as I was at a wedding and will always remember hearing he got KO'd. Other than that I think I watched every single fight spoiler free. Hell of a ride.

Glad that he's called it a day. i know there was talk of him fighting again, but at this stage, what does he have to prove? Former unified light-welterweight world champion, Commonwealth champion, Olympic silver medalist. He's had a great career considering his well-known dodgy chin. 

Outside of the Prescott loss he's only really lost to a who's who of the sport. Lamont Peterson, Danny Garcia, Canelo Álvarez, and Terrence Crawford. Then obviously to Brook in his final bout.

Time to enjoy that retirement and focus on making an arse of himself on reality TV now it would seem!

• Paid Members

Like the Brook retirement, l’m happy to hear Khan’s calling it a day. It was clear in the Brook fight that he’s way past his best and there’s only one way a career goes from there. Still, a great career. And win, lose or draw he’s been one of the most entertaining fighters to watch over the last 15 years or so. Although the Brook fight itself went terribly for him, I’m glad he got to go out in a big fight.

BE8EF47E-5739-4DC0-8B41-14C892B2AC6D.gif

F1789922-D96C-40FD-AD6C-876D8B3F720E.gif

19 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i have no doubt Khan and his missus will be on every celebrity based gameshow for the next few years.

They won't get very far. I saw a clip of him on that jungle show. And he asked Boris Johnsons dad, if this country had ever had a female prime minister before.  And that was when Theresa May was PM.

• 2 weeks later...