Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I was sure it’d be Anderson vs Roy Jones next. Given the history of them both wanting the fight as far back as Anderson’s prime. He’ll be getting paid handsomely for that Paul fight though, you’d assume. 

• Paid Members

Probably a case of having a promoter willing to put it on and make it worth their while. Jones claims he wasnt paid by Triller so he might not be looking to get involved in anything like this again?

• Paid Members

I'm all for events like this. Not because of the Paul brothers (Jake seems a little better, but they're both cock-ends), or the whole bullshit YouTuber culture, but because anything that highlights how fighters like Anderson Silva get paid more doing shite like this than an entire, legendary career in the UFC will continue to show up Plastic Caesar. I don't know if it'll cause any significant change, but if it does, it has to start somewhere.

• Paid Members

20210722_162725.thumb.jpg.92b18330f38d4bcb85c613fdce30265c.jpg

Been announced that it's gonna be a full pro fight (though weirdly still 8 x 2 minute rounds), but there will be a decision at the end. Its at 180lb too which is way above what Oscar used to fight and probably the lowest Vitor ever fought at.

• Paid Members

"The most anticipated fight of the decade" - the decade's only a year old, so nice try, but come on: had anyone even thought of this, let alone anticipated?

On 7/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, Carbomb said:

I'm all for events like this. Not because of the Paul brothers (Jake seems a little better, but they're both cock-ends), or the whole bullshit YouTuber culture, but because anything that highlights how fighters like Anderson Silva get paid more doing shite like this than an entire, legendary career in the UFC will continue to show up Plastic Caesar. I don't know if it'll cause any significant change, but if it does, it has to start somewhere.

It's a complicated situation really, when you think about it. I've personally always been all about "give the fighters more money" but I read an in-depth look at the difference in a boxing promotion where someone can earn $5 million or more, and a UFC PPV where they earn $600,000 - $1 million.

The gist of it was that in boxing, fans pay to see the main event fight. They're essentially buying into one of the two main event guys, be it Canelo, Fury, Joshua, whoever. Often a fan won't even know who the promoter is.

The UFC is different in that most fans are buying a UFC event. Sure, they're tuning in to watch McGregor etc, but it's a UFC event they're watching. The promotion is part of the appeal for many, while that's not the case in boxing. Essentially, the piece framed it that whatever UFC main event you were watching always involved three main players: the two fighters, and the company, which isn't the case in boxing.

The argument is out there that without the fighters, there's no event, which is true. But unlike boxing where the promoter is interchangeable for the most part, without the UFC there's also no MMA fight.

Does Nate Diaz, for example, pull in the same PPV numbers if he's fighting in Bellator? Or ONE? Same question for Masvidal? No, they don't. Because they need that third dance partner, which is the company itself.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

It's a complicated situation really, when you think about it. I've personally always been all about "give the fighters more money" but I read an in-depth look at the difference in a boxing promotion where someone can earn $5 million or more, and a UFC PPV where they earn $600,000 - $1 million.

The gist of it was that in boxing, fans pay to see the main event fight. They're essentially buying into one of the two main event guys, be it Canelo, Fury, Joshua, whoever. Often a fan won't even know who the promoter is.

The UFC is different in that most fans are buying a UFC event. Sure, they're tuning in to watch McGregor etc, but it's a UFC event they're watching. The promotion is part of the appeal for many, while that's not the case in boxing. Essentially, the piece framed it that whatever UFC main event you were watching always involved three main players: the two fighters, and the company, which isn't the case in boxing.

The argument is out there that without the fighters, there's no event, which is true. But unlike boxing where the promoter is interchangeable for the most part, without the UFC there's also no MMA fight.

Does Nate Diaz, for example, pull in the same PPV numbers if he's fighting in Bellator? Or ONE? Same question for Masvidal? No, they don't. Because they need that third dance partner, which is the company itself.

I appreciate that it's a lot more symbiotic, so would justify different proportions, but I'm not sure it justifies the money the way it is now. Didn't the Fertittas become billionaires from the UFC? 

Also, I might be a bit more understanding if they hadn't gone and done that shitty Reebok deal - it just seemed really mean-spirited and grasping, effectively screwing all their fighters out of sponsorship money just so they could make a bit more for themselves, and preventing the boat from being rocked by making sure the big earners got their share.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah you’re bang on. I mean, to your average guy, UFC is the sport in the same way boxing is. Nobody says “Did you see the WBA at the weekend”?  I’m sure when cage rage and the like were on channel 5 and whatnot, we all had someone at work say “I saw that UFC you liked was on telly Saturday night”

• Paid Members

I do acknowledge that UFC has basically become the WWE of MMA (lots of letters), and not just because they're the biggest brand, but because their actual name has become the by-word for the sport - I know a lot of people who would stare blankly if I said "MMA", but would know exactly what I was talking about if I said "Ultimate Fighting" or "UFC" (or "cage fighting", but for obvious reasons I stay away from that). 

It does seem that "mixed martial arts" and "MMA" are becoming increasingly known in general culture, and a big part of that's probably down to Rousey and McGregor. But for the moment, I'd say it's fair to say that "UFC" is pretty much "the MMA".

Edited by Carbomb

36 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I appreciate that it's a lot more symbiotic, so would justify different proportions, but I'm not sure it justifies the money the way it is now. Didn't the Fertittas become billionaires from the UFC?

In fairness, the Fertittas became billionaires from it because they initially invested a wedge of cash that was seen at the time as akin to pouring money into a trash can and setting it on fire. They gambled big, and won big.

Those two guys essentially bankrolled an entire sport. They negotiated the regulatory hurdles, they dealt with hostile opposition, the whole shebang. I don't say it often, but when it comes to billionaires, they're probably more worthy than many.