Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Here's another one...

Vitor Belfort is boxing on the Lopez/Kambosos Triller card. He's fighting some fella named Real Tarzann. He's a social media personality with over 6 million followers.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.be7f81ad569b520eaffdeff49f3345e3.jpg

nothing surprises me anymore.

This sums up Vitors last few years:

we are basically living early 00's Japanese MMA/K1 all over again.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Here's another one...

Vitor Belfort is boxing on the Lopez/Kambosos Triller card. He's fighting some fella named Real Tarzann. He's a social media personality with over 6 million followers.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.be7f81ad569b520eaffdeff49f3345e3.jpg

Cheater boy vs Cheetah boy. I’ll watch. If it actually happens. I was hoping we’d see Belfort vs Reug at some point but that’s out now he’s gone from ONE.

When did Belfort call out Chris Jericho? 😂 I need the backstory for that one. 

• Paid Members

Kirkland Laing has died. 

5-C34-CA78-0-B53-4257-B47-B-16-E020-CDA9

389-D425-F-4-CF4-4-E13-ACDC-5163488-D4-D

Really sad news. Such a talent but from everything I’ve ever read he very much marched to the beat of his own drum. Beat Duran (in what really should be talked about more as one of the best wins by a British fighter) but then just disappeared for a year. He did fight more regularly in the early 90s but was done by 94 and, despite the win over Duran, never really fulfilled his potential.

I always remember this video Steve Bunce did in the Setanta days where he tracked Laing down.

That was well over a decade ago. I went down the rabbit hole after seeing this and became fascinated with his story and what became of him. I watched a bunch of his fights at the time. Then every year or so after that I used to check for updates but there was never much info. Really sad. One of the best forgotten British fighters. 

• Paid Members

I honestly thought Lang had died years ago. I remember the Buncey piece and I had some memory that he had died homeless a few years later. Mandela Effect and all that.

Sad news though. Laing was before my time, but hes one of those British fighters that always pops up on twitter every so often through highlights.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I honestly thought Lang had died years ago. I remember the Buncey piece and I had some memory that he had died homeless a few years later. Mandela Effect and all that.

He fell off a balcony and was in critical condition at one point so you might’ve seen that and the memory got warped over the years.

2013, it was;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing-laing-critical-after-fall-from-balcony-95462.html%3famp

There was a rumour that he'd died in late 2012 as well - https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/news-circulating-that-kirkland-laing-passed-away-on-thursday.441115/

14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Beat Duran (in what really should be talked about more as one of the best wins by a British fighter) but then just disappeared for a year.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better boxer than Duran that a British fighter has beaten. 

That said, it probably isn't the best win in British boxing history. The version of Duran that Laing beat wasn't particularly good. Duran had ballooned to 185lbs in the months before the bout, and the weight-cut to 155lbs drained him of his power and stamina. He didn't really impress in his next fight against Jimmy Batten either. It was the Cuevas bout where Duran started to turn his career around. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Duran had his ups and downs. He had a few real dips and resurgences in his career. Laing beating him definitely wasn’t the best win by a British boxer, but like I said it’s got to be one of them just because it’s Duran.