Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

"Lloyd Honeyghan" always sounded to me like that name belonged on Chris Eubank for what he was trying to portray himself as, i.e. a posh cunt. Actually sounds like a Roaring Twenties, Brand's Hatch old-style race-car racing, boater-hat-wearing, Charleston-dancing posh cunt's name. 

"I say, I'm Lloyd Honeyghan, what? We're orff to the garden parteah! Do you know the way to the garden parteahhh?!"

Not sure about Calzaghe vs Lacy. Nothing against Joe's performance, but Lacy was nowhere near as good as the Americans hyped him up to be. 

Honeyghan vs Curry is a good shout. 

Fury smashing Wladamir is the best in recent years that I can remember. 

An unmotivated Lewis ripping Vitali’s face to shreds is one of the most underrated victories by a British fighter. Vitali was regarded as the stronger of the Klitchko brothers and was coming into his prime and a late replacement if i remember. Lewis was overweight and sluggish and probably should have retired after Tyson, but he still done the business and Vitali would go on and reign for 10 years after the fight.

3 hours ago, Mr Lawrence said:

An unmotivated Lewis ripping Vitali’s face to shreds is one of the most underrated victories by a British fighter. Vitali was regarded as the stronger of the Klitchko brothers and was coming into his prime and a late replacement if i remember. Lewis was overweight and sluggish and probably should have retired after Tyson, but he still done the business and Vitali would go on and reign for 10 years after the fight.

I love that fight and both boxers involved in it. 

Lennox was always tougher and more durable than most gave him credit for. Whereas Vitali was always the better of the two Klitschko brothers in my opinion, even if Wladamir had the better career. Wlad had the better jab and had more power, but Vitali had a better chin and was trickier. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

There’s a bunch. Benn vs McClellan, Hatton vs Tszyu, Calzaghe vs Lacy, Honeyghan vs Curry would all be on the list for me as well. 

you can nitpick a few of the great victories from British fighters.

Calzgahe/Lacy is the career definer and it made Calzaghe a household name for the remainder of his career but in hindsight its easy to say Lacy was taylor made for Joe, and in reality wasnt much cop to begin with. Calzaghe defenders will way that Lacy was as good as they said he was and that Lacy was never the same again. A few years after the Calzaghe win, a haggard Roy Jones made as much a mockery of Lacy as Joe did for example. We'll just never know.

The Hatton/Tszyu one is weird for me because ive been sold on it purely from how its been told to me from a historical British boxing standpoint. When that fight i was kind of was made i had no idea who Tszyu was, i just knew that it was being sold to us that it was abit of an impossible task for Hatton. Tsyzu was 35 at the time and it turned out to be his last fight, so in reality Hatton probably got a Tszyu on the way down. Boxing is all about timing.

In both fights, Lacy and Tszyu were the betting favorites, but not by much.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

The Hatton/Tszyu one is weird for me because ive been sold on it purely from how its been told to me from a historical British boxing standpoint. When that fight i was kind of was made i had no idea who Tszyu was, i just knew that it was being sold to us that it was abit of an impossible task for Hatton. Tsyzu was 35 at the time and it turned out to be his last fight, so in reality Hatton probably got a Tszyu on the way down. Boxing is all about timing.

Tszyu was certainly a bit past-it, but he could still go. He'd just stopped Sharmba Mitchell inside 3 rounds. A boxer that went on to last longer against Paul Williams and Mayweather. 

23 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Sugar Ray Robinson lost to a couple of Brits as his career was winding down but he was 128-1-2 when Randolph Turpin beat him. That has to be the best. Ray was arguably pound for pound the greatest boxer ever in his prime.

Yep.

I withdraw my previous comment that Duran was the best boxer that a British boxer has defeated. 

This was boxing historian Kyle McLachlan's top 10 list from a few years back. He ranks them based on the quality of opponents defeated. As someone who knows fuck all about certain eras of boxing, I find McLachlan's insight on this sort of thing invaluable. 

10: Barney Ross
9: Bob Fitzsimmons
8: Willy Pep
7: Muhammad Ali
6: Ezzard Charles
5: Roberto Duran
4: Sam Langford
3: Sugar Ray Robinson
2: Henry Armstrong
1: Harry Greb

1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Yep.

I withdraw my previous comment that Duran was the best boxer that a British boxer has defeated. 

This was boxing historian Kyle McLachlan's top 10 list from a few years back. He ranks them based on the quality of opponents defeated. As someone who knows fuck all about certain eras of boxing, I find McLachlan's insight on this sort of thing invaluable. 

10: Barney Ross
9: Bob Fitzsimmons
8: Willy Pep
7: Muhammad Ali
6: Ezzard Charles
5: Roberto Duran
4: Sam Langford
3: Sugar Ray Robinson
2: Henry Armstrong
1: Harry Greb

When did a British boxer beat Ali? Or is that just someone’s list of the best?

1 minute ago, jimufctna24 said:

Yeah, it's McLachlan's all-time rankings. 

Not a list of the top 10 fighters a British fighter has defeated. 

Cheers. I reckon a top ten British wins would make for some cracking discussion. Honeyghan beating Curry is the one that sticks with me. Couldn’t believe it when I saw it on the morning news the next day!

Buchanan vs Laguna and Stracey vs Napoles both stand out for me as Brits beating legit, Hall of Fame champions. Both away from home as well. 

A personal favourite is Benn over Iran Barkley. After Barkley had brutally Ko'd Hearns he then lost a close one to Duran and had a tough decision loss to Michael Nunn. His team felt he needed to rebuild so they picked Benn, who the Americans did'nt really rate at the time. Benn turned up in Vegas extremely pissed off and his one round destruction of Barkley is about as brutal as you will ever see from a British fighter over a world class fighter. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob