Sting: The Lost Tape

Loki

Didn't see any discussion of this anywhere so I thought I'd start a little thread.

It's an interesting short this, although be warned the second half is just Sting v Big Bubba, which is not a great match.  It's from an era before the cameras were always following people around backstage and in their lives, so there's some fun footage of Sting hanging out with Macho, Bagwell, some fans, one of the WCW trainers and so on.  Sting comes across as a really cool guy, very relaxed but really intense when it comes to the wrestling.

One curiousity - there's a clip of Tenay interviewing the Stinger for the WCW hotline, and he mentions that Sting's just signed a new multi-year deal.  Which got me imagining what it would have been like if Sting had signed with WWF instead in 1995.  You'd have had Sting in a program with WWF Champion Diesel I imagine, plus Sting v Michaels, Sting v both Harts, and surely Sting v Taker as well.  He'd have had a great run at that point imo, but probably left just as the Attitude Era kicked off as I doubt he'd have approved of that.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Didn't see any discussion of this anywhere so I thought I'd start a little thread.

It's an interesting short this, although be warned the second half is just Sting v Big Bubba, which is not a great match.  It's from an era before the cameras were always following people around backstage and in their lives, so there's some fun footage of Sting hanging out with Macho, Bagwell, some fans, one of the WCW trainers and so on.  Sting comes across as a really cool guy, very relaxed but really intense when it comes to the wrestling.

One curiousity - there's a clip of Tenay interviewing the Stinger for the WCW hotline, and he mentions that Sting's just signed a new multi-year deal.  Which got me imagining what it would have been like if Sting had signed with WWF instead in 1995.  You'd have had Sting in a program with WWF Champion Diesel I imagine, plus Sting v Michaels, Sting v both Harts, and surely Sting v Taker as well.  He'd have had a great run at that point imo, but probably left just as the Attitude Era kicked off as I doubt he'd have approved of that.

Would he have been able to use the name "Sting" if he had signed for the WWF back then?

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Would he have been able to use the name "Sting" if he had signed for the WWF back then?

Well he was “Sting” when he signed with the same company nearly 20 years later…

I thought it was a great little watch, a really interesting time capsule piece and solidified Sting's place at the top of my all time faves. What a nice guy. Obviously, it's wrestling so you don't know how much was for show, despite the 'shoot' nature of it, but it was fascinating to see him still get nervous after 8+ years at the top of WCW. The freestyle face painting was interesting too, but mainly because you can't imagine someone today winging it with their look on a nightly basis for fear of pissing off the boss for torpedoing your toy sales.

The match wasn't great, obviously, but a decent enough diversion and helped by the build of the fly-on-the-wall camera beforehand.

Sting going to WWF in '95 is one of the great what-ifs. You've got to imagine he'd've fit right in in that New Generation neon look, and his respect for th young guys in WCW could have carried over to him working great guns with the WWF's up-and-comers. You've also got potential reunions with Luger, and the Stars and Stripes pairing with Bulldog. The matches would've been the pits, but you could have even had a feud or Blade Runners reunion with Woyah. Where it gets sketchier is how Sting would've handled the harder-partying side of things at the time; yeah, he could hang with the older WCW crew, but I wonder if the Kliq et al would've just been too much for him.

If WWF had kept on its path toward the Attitude Era, would we have gotten Crow Sting in WWF? Was Sting's disillusionment in WCW at the time that led to Crow a shoot or pure angle, and wasn't Crow somebody else's idea anyway? Would he have even had the stroke with Vince to change things up or would we have been stuck with Surfer Sting wearing black and that's it?

Pretty sure it was Scott Hall's idea for the Crow makeup, if Sting had been in the WWF in 98/99 and turned heel, they'd have just given him the regulation black leather jacket and shades and told him to look sombre after hitting the Stinger Splash 

• Paid Members

The Crow was Scott Hall's idea, so would have been dependent on the two of them being in the same place at the same time, and on Vince being prepared to run with it. That said, what The Crow gimmick, and even Joker Sting in TNA, shows is that Sting was unafraid of changing things up and altering the character when the time came for it - and given that a lot of the early Attitude Era was about shifting people out of the more cartoonish gimmicks and into a more "human" character, I'm sure we'd have seen Sting change in some form, just not necessarily to that gimmick.

• Paid Members

Sting filed a trademark for the name in January '95, and it was approved in January '96. So it would be on the WWF whether they wanted to use the name, more than on WCW being able to prevent them.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

But he did use it in TNA so it cannot have been a WCW thing. 

Unlike poor old Devon Doodley and Cojones.

I'd love to have seen the TNA brains think up a new name for sting.