Sting: The Lost Tape

Loki

• Paid Members

Andre Freitas from AFX studios is the guy who came up with the Crow gimmick. Sting was told to grow his hair out months before Scott Hall arrived. Freitas said the face paint was a crow/Marilyn Manson hybrid, the coat was from the Crow and the costume was taken of Kyle McLaughlin's character in Dune. It makes the most sense, considering the same studio came up with Glacier, Mortis and Wrath's outfits around the same time. Freitas had a very detailed account in the Nitro book, which makes me believe that story. All Sting and Hall say was "yeah, that would be a cool gimmick" and it was somehow attributed to Scott Hall.

He would never have been "Sting" in the WWF. If the Road Warriors werent the Road Warriors, Sting wasnt keeping his name. They'd have probably called him Stevie Riptide or some shite.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Andre Freitas from AFX studios is the guy who came up with the Crow gimmick. Sting was told to grow his hair out months before Scott Hall arrived.

That sounds plausible, as the WCW commentary team do hilarious point out on more than one occasion, “Look at Sting! Look how his hair’s changed!” on Nitro for weeks before he takes off.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

He would never have been "Sting" in the WWF. If the Road Warriors werent the Road Warriors, Sting wasnt keeping his name. They'd have probably called him Stevie Riptide or some shite.

I reckon before mid-1996, he'd definitely have been something similar but trademarkable by them like "The Stinger". Something that calls back to it but that they control. After that, I think he'd have just been Sting, perhaps just himself. They seemed to move away from those hang ups around that time. Too late for Mick Foley and Steve Austin but I think the success of them helped.

He' obviously never have been Crow Sting outside of WCW. it needed that idea and that environment.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I reckon before mid-1996, he'd definitely have been something similar but trademarkable by them like "The Stinger". Something that calls back to it but that they control. After that, I think he'd have just been Sting, perhaps just himself. They seemed to move away from those hang ups around that time. Too late for Mick Foley and Steve Austin but I think the success of them helped.

He' obviously never have been Crow Sting outside of WCW. it needed that idea and that environment.

Agree with that completely, it'd have been like 'The man they call Vader' rather than something completely different 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

the Legion of Doom were still Hawk and Animal, though. Vader was still Vader, Jeff Jarrett was still Jeff Jarrett, the Steiner Brothers were still the Steiner Brothers. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Probably would have been "Stung" or something.

Or "Gordon Sumner".

EDIT: They should've got him to team up with Tyler Breeze and Fandango for a one-off six-man match, "Sting & The Police".

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Would they have done anything with him, or would Vince have seen it as an opportunity to make WCW's top guy look like a nobody by jobbing him out to some of his lower card guys? Yes Austin & Foley made it big eventually, but this is Vince we're talking about. Look at how he treated Dusty. Yes Sting Vs Taker, Shawn, Bret, Diesel could have been great matches, but it would all have depended on Vince's whims.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Would they have done anything with him, or would Vince have seen it as an opportunity to make WCW's top guy look like a nobody by jobbing him out to some of his lower card guys? Yes Austin & Foley made it big eventually, but this is Vince we're talking about. Look at how he treated Dusty. Yes Sting Vs Taker, Shawn, Bret, Diesel could have been great matches, but it would all have depended on Vince's whims.

Vince couldn't be as picky in 96 as he could when Dusty rocked up (and Dusty didn't have much choice having been released for blading despite being told told not to).

Sting also has the look and attitude, which was what was always used against Vader and cut his runs short and left him as a top end utility guy until 98.

The biggest problem would be he's a face through and through, and walking into a company where Vince only has eyes for Shawn in that top spot would be the issue. That said if Bret is off to film lonesome dove for a bit he'd got in great as that second stack face.

54 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Whilst I get where you are going with this I don't think Vince saw Rhodes as anything but a big fat sack of shit. He hadn't got the look for Vince to push as a top draw and he saw Rhodes as too "southern" and "wrasslin" for his glitzy, glamorous WWF. Sting would have been huge in WWF if Vince had liked him personally. 

I think Sting would have been huge.  Vince went all googly over Luger, imagine how he'd have been about Sting.  The guy's an amazing hand.

As cool as much of Sting's TNA run was, selfishly I wish he'd signed with WWE in maybe 2006 or so.  He'd have still been able to have great matches, and at a time they were really struggling for credible faces.

Another thing that the Tape reminded me was.. and this is maybe just my personal reception, but whenever I see footage of WCW it always looks so big time.  Something about the production, or the arenas, or maybe the ring size... the reactions were always massive from the crowds as well.

Edited by Loki

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Another thing that the Tape reminded me was.. and this is maybe just my personal reception, but whenever I see footage of WCW it always looks so big time.  Something about the production, or the arenas, or maybe the ring size... the reactions were always massive from the crowds as well.

As much as I don't like comparing AEW to WCW .. that's exactly the feeling I get when I'm watching AEW. There's just something about it that feels big.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Loki said:

It could feel big time. There were lots of times when it didn't, particularly in 1993 and for most of their tapings for secondary shows. Lots of the Prime and Power Hour tapings were filmed in someone's garden shed. but post-Hogan's arrival, they did feel much bigger and Bischoff, for all his faults, was switched on at that time and recognised the value in upping production, lighting and colour.

Madness that in 1999 and then 2000, they overhauled Nitro and managed to make it much, much worse both times.